Company blocked internet access through Firefox

dankarlo
Go to solution Solved by dankarlo,

Tested it my pc with firewall outbound rule blocking firefox.exe. The portable with renamed exe worked like a charm.

Hey guys, this is Austin (it isn't :)) ,

My company recently blocked any internet access from Firefox. The only options are IE, Edge (for win10 users) and Chrome.

I've been using FF for 13-14 years already. I've used the other options and I am not very keen on them mainly because of the customized environment I've created in FF.

There is the option to use RDP but I will have to move all of my work things at home and sync everything.

I am wondering how are the IT guys blocking the connection. Is it through the firewall with .exe filter or another SW can do that?

If they are doing it on a .exe basis, is there a way to disguise the firefox executable, so it will go through?

Your help is highly appreciated!

Can you not use something else, like Opera?

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

1 minute ago, idiot42 said:

Can you not use something else, like Opera?

Nope, they said these are the 3 supported options.

1 minute ago, dankarlo said:

Hey guys, this is Austin (it isn't :)) ,

My company recently blocked any internet access from Firefox. The only options are IE, Edge (for win10 users) and Chrome.

I've been using FF for 13-14 years already. I've used the other options and I am not very keen on them mainly because of the customized environment I've created in FF.

There is the option to use RDP but I will have to move all of my work things at home and sync everything.

I am wondering how are the IT guys blocking the connection. Is it through the firewall with .exe filter or another SW can do that?

If they are doing it on a .exe basis, is there a way to disguise the firefox executable, so it will go through?

Your help is highly appreciated!

They have it blocked in the firewall most likely.

You might find a way around it, but is it worth possibly loosing your job over?

Your employer is likely blocking it for their reasons. Your employer has the right to block any programs they want on their equipment.

1 minute ago, kalnick said:

They have it blocked in the firewall most likely.

You might find a way around it, but is it worth possibly loosing your job over?

Your employer is likely blocking it for their reasons. Your employer has the right to block any programs they want on their equipment.

Not going to lose it over this. Perhaps there will be some "talk" from my boss if they find it but I doubt it. For 3 years they did not bothered to check if anyone was using the AV they installed.

I am wondering if I can install FF Portable on a flash drive and go around it...

It's most likely a firewall rule, and if the admins are smart about it they specifically allow IE and Chrome instead of specifically blocking firefox, which means running a different executable would probably not make any difference.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Have a gmail account?  Change to Chrome.  Problem solved.

Now both your boss and GOOGLE can see what you are doing on the interwebs!!!!11!!

Installed FF portable on a flash drive. I used some guys's steps how to change the executable name and it is starting normally but Task Manager still shows it as FF

They're blocking internet access thru a firewall, you might only be able to access company website via intranet but who knows.

I would just leave FF alone, not worth losing a job over.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Tested it my pc with firewall outbound rule blocking firefox.exe. The portable with renamed exe worked like a charm.