Where to Start?

firstimer98

I have been around PCs my entire life, but never really interested in learning about them

I am wanting to build my own gaming PC to run a few steam games(ie. CoD, Battlefield etc) and run World of Warcraft(not at same time of course) and get more than the 12 fps that i get now. Also, in WoW i have a problem of disconnecting often, too often, to where the game is  not playable.

The one problem I am having is Im not sure where to start. While I have no real budget because Im building this over time, i would like to keep costs to a minimum. 

Any advice on how to get started or how to plan will be greatly appreciated, I am just starting with PC's and their internals, so my knowledge is limited

firstimer98

First would be just to learn about them in general. Reading and watching about computers will introduce you. It is a better idea to build it all at one time, not over time. Also since you're on the forum get to reading because there are lots and lots of topics to learn about.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

While I have no real budget because Im building this over time, i would like to keep costs to a minimum. 

Building slowly over time is the worst way to do it.

I have been around PCs my entire life, but never really interested in learning about them

I am wanting to build my own gaming PC to run a few steam games(ie. CoD, Battlefield etc) and run World of Warcraft(not at same time of course) and get more than the 12 fps that i get now. Also, in WoW i have a problem of disconnecting often, too often, to where the game is  not playable.

The one problem I am having is Im not sure where to start. While I have no real budget because Im building this over time, i would like to keep costs to a minimum. 

Any advice on how to get started or how to plan will be greatly appreciated, I am just starting with PC's and their internals, so my knowledge is limited

firstimer98

depends what you want to do with your computer

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Start with this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-reccomendations-please-read-before-posting/

Research about whatever questions you may have.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hey dur Steve so what your gonna wanna do is watch a crapton of linus'es video's and even those from ncix. And some bbishopcm/maxxarcade/uxwbill videos here and there. Don't build overtime cause I tried to do this and I ended up throwing away a $150 case and a $120 power supply and having to save up to get my rig. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Building slowly over time is the worst way to do it.

Ok, good to know :) is there anyway I can know how much to save up before starting my build? I am not sure what things cost for a gaming pc because im not sure what goes in a gaming pc.

depends what you want to do with your computer

I am wanting to build my own gaming PC to run a few steam games(ie. CoD, Battlefield etc) and run World of Warcraft(not at same time of course) and get more than the 12 fps that i get now. Also, in WoW i have a problem of disconnecting often, too often, to where the game is  not playable, i need to fix that and i figure building a gaming specific comp will help.  Im using a store bought Compaq with  2 GB RAM AMD Sempron Processor LE 1300 2.3 GHz  Single Core

• Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

• Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2

The link is http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01949102-16%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4079828&ac.admitted=1385870816789.876444892.492883150

Ok, good to know :) is there anyway I can know how much to save up before starting my build? I am not sure what things cost for a gaming pc because im not sure what goes in a gaming pc.

$600 is pretty much the lowest you want to go for a half decent build.

Are you willing to spend around 650$? Because you can build a PC for that and play most games at 720p.

Game On :)

Are you willing to spend around 650$? Because you can build a PC for that and play most games at 720p.

Yeah I can go for 650  this maybe a stupid question but what is exactly 720p?

I am wanting to build my own gaming PC to run a few steam games(ie. CoD, Battlefield etc) and run World of Warcraft(not at same time of course) and get more than the 12 fps that i get now. Also, in WoW i have a problem of disconnecting often, too often, to where the game is  not playable, i need to fix that and i figure building a gaming specific comp will help.  Im using a store bought Compaq with  2 GB RAM AMD Sempron Processor LE 1300 2.3 GHz  Single Core

• Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

• Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2

The link is http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01949102-16%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4079828&ac.admitted=1385870816789.876444892.492883150

ok i think that cpu may slow things down

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

It's the quality your screen plays at. If you have a nice screen then your tv can play HD movies at a more appealing quality. So your games and stuff will look nice and purdy :)

Game On :)

It's a resolution. 720p is 1280x720 pixels. 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels.

Refer to this for different resolutions: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52052-display-resolution-comparison/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.