Benchmarking Drive

I was just wondering how a single ssd/hdd with preinstalled OS and programs would work across multiple platforms -- mainly in benchmarking, just how the guys at LTT does it. I remember having encountered tons of issues when I tried to do the same back when I was troubleshooting a PC. When you install drivers for one platform, how can you be sure it's still a pretty much "clean" instance of the OS when you put it in another platform?

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

I know linus said one time he had to clean install windows when testing one thing because USB devices were unusable when he moving the SSD to another system due to driver incompatibility.

I'm not sure if they still use the same SSD when testing multiple platforms.

Maybe they have multiple identical SSDs with all the same programs one for each platform?

That would be the correct way of doing it, otherwise you never know if windows is malfunctioning in the background when you're running a benchmark and it gives you lower than normal results.

Background Windows problems are very common when using a system drive that has had it's OS and drivers installed on a different hardware configuration.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

probably a system image using the same suite of software on multiple 'identical' ssd's with identical version gpu drivers etc but, device specific chipset drivers etc being installed on each one