Should I buy a HTC vive?

JamesHewitt

Should I buy a Vive?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Yes buy
    • Wait for 2nd generation
    • Get a Rift

So the HTC Vive is £598.98 instead of £758.98. My brother just suggested we split the cost and buy one ( so £299.48 each ) Would you say it's worth it or wait for the 2nd generation?

I dunno honestly, some people said that the price cut could indicate an upcoming refresh soon but hey if you see it as a unique opportunity, id say you should :P.

rift is cheaper and they currently also have their special joysticks or so. also make sure your system has good enough specs, when the oculus rift launched they said gtx 970 or better as recommended

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

rift is cheaper and they currently also have their special joysticks or so. also make sure your system has good enough specs, when the oculus rift launched they said gtx 970 or better as recommended

5820k and a 1080ti so I'm fine spec wise :P

Depends how much cash you have burning through your wallet. Me personally... I'd wait, but I also have a list of other upgrades I'd prioritize over a VR headset.

....wait for newer gen graphics cards (2018/19) and then pull the trigger on a 4k IPS display comes to mind.

Just now, NinJake said:

Depends how much cash you have burning through your wallet. Me personally... I'd wait, but I also have a list of other upgrades I'd prioritize over a VR headset.

....wait for newer gen graphics cards (2018/19) and then pull the trigger on a 4k IPS display comes to mind.

A 1080ti should be good for some time. Also I have a x34a ( 3440x1440 at 100hz IPS ) which i'm pretty happy with. I should be fine for money and i've been thinking about it for some time.

1 minute ago, JamesHewitt said:

A 1080ti should be good for some time. Also I have a x34a ( 3440x1440 at 100hz IPS ) which i'm pretty happy with. I should be fine for money and i've been thinking about it for some time.

I was referring to myself, as I'd much rather have enjoyable 4k experience over VR. If you think you'll get some use out of it, and not play it for a few weeks then never return to it, go for it!

Do you have software/ games you want to run on it?

Do you have the money?

Do you have the space and time?

If you can say yes to all of these I would say go ahead, I am planning to save up for one if the Fallout 4 port is really good. It kind of breaks immersion that you can't see your hands, but maybe mods can fix that.

11 hours ago, JamesHewitt said:

5820k and a 1080ti so I'm fine spec wise :P

lol nice, what resolution per screen do both options have?

You will be greatly disappointed with the crappy resolution.

I would definitely wait for the 2nd gen VR, but not for Facebook's Oculus, don't give that disgusting company a single penny.

It seems that Oculus gave up on Oculus desktop VR anyway, and HTC's Vive has far superior tracking, it is flawless.

I like how no one voted to "Get a Rift" because it sucks.