Do different variants of the 1070 perform better than others?

arranb1223

Hi,

I am about to buy a GTX 1070 to upgrade my pc, and noticed that this card was quite a bit cheaper than other variants.

http://www.ebuyer.com/780067-zotac-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-8gb-graphics-card-zt-p10700g-10m

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&sort=price&page=1

Is there a performance difference from this card than other 1070's, or is it just design and form factor?

Also is ebuyer a reputable place to buy from?

Thanks

PC Specs
CPU: i7 4790 | Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2H | RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB | GPU: GTX 1070 | Case: NZXT S340 | Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsung SSD 256GB | PSU: Corsair CS550M | Operating System: Windows 10

It is normally a mixture of design, features, cooling, and speed. But for the most part one 1070 will preform as well as another 1070 within margin of error.

AIB SKUs differ by one or more of these three things:

• Clock speeds out-of-the-box
  • Power delivery circuitry for better overclocking potential
  • Cooling solution

So there is potential for better performance, but the only one that's immediately evident are the clock speeds.

Also eBay is hit and miss depending on who you buy it from.

The larger ones should perform better thanks to better cooling. The one you linked to ins't bad though. 

Ebuyer is very good. (I have three monitors, two coolers, a PSU and a graphics card bought from ebuyer, never had an issue)

EDIT: In terms of UK retailers, I'd say Scan.co.uk is the best, followed by Overclockers.co.uk then Aria.co.uk and Ebuyer.com. I also use Amazon if there's not a big difference in price and I can get it delivered next day on Prime. 

Because of Pascal, any 1070 variant will perform within 1% to 2% of each other. It really comes down to thermals and noise and a deciding factor between each variant. That 1070 Mini is a good card, but it's more meant for small form factor builds, so thermals and noise aren't going to be the best. But if the price difference is that substantial, then it's not a bad card. As for ebuyer being a reputable place to buy from, I cannot say as I've never bought anything from them.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

This won't always be the case on every generation, but on Pascal (GTX 1000 series), most card variants perform the same as the reference design within margin of error.  Noise/looks/factory clocks may vary, but they all get up to roughly the same performance.  It's good to look up reviews to be sure though.