Broadwell to have a massive improvement in GPU

Dylan522p

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170291-intels-14nm-broadwell-gpu-takes-shape-indicates-major-improvements-over-haswell

So there is going to be a huge jump in iGPU this gen, so while the CPU improvement will be even more boring than Ivy was (only lower power consumption this time, seems to be no improvements in IPC), the GPU improvement will be one of the biggest ever.  Intel’s Ben Widawsky says and I quote, "Broadwell graphics bring some of the biggest changes we’ve seen on the execution and memory management side of the GPU… [the changes] dwarf any other silicon iteration during my tenure, and certainly can compete with the likes of the gen3->gen4 changes.” Just for reference, Gen 3 => Gen 4 was GMA GPU from 3000 to X3000. I welcome this GPU improvement greatly as CPU performance is great. It is GPU that is lacking and a combination of the two which is the future. Seeing as Intels iGPU is already more efficient that AMDs, but not given as much die space, this should make that difference up. I really care more about this because Intel's Atom platform is sharing the iGPU now days and so this will make it competitive on GPU side compared to the Mali and Adreno and Nvidia's upcoming Logan. It should also make dGPU on mobile irrelevant unless you go into the GTX range, where as right now Haswell made only the low end and mid range GT lines irrelevant.

I'm sorry. What? So they say there will be a huge improvement to iGPU but yet there are the temperature problems on Haswell. What other improvements. SAY SOMETHING!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I'm sorry. What? So they say there will be a huge improvement to iGPU but yet there are the temperature problems on Haswell. What other improvements. SAY SOMETHING!!!

They'll also be moving to 14nm at the same time.  Plus they always have the option of using fluxless soldering instead of thermal compound again, if they really need to.

They'll also be moving to 14nm at the same time.  Plus they always have the option of using fluxless soldering instead of thermal compound again, if they really need to.

Solder is always better, right? And what other benefit?! I NEED A 6 CORE DAMN IT

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Well, I believe what their goal is with broadwell, is to probably create a line, that has lower temps, can be clocked higher, runs at a lower voltage, and has more powerful graphics.

I don't know much about "IG" so I'm curious if they're doing this to try and compete with AMD APU?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solder is always better, right? And what other benefit?! I NEED A 6 CORE DAMN IT

there will probably be more threading as well, which I think is more useful then more cores. for modern games, games in the future maybe not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What other benefit what?

Due to 14nm, won't temps go down & voltage needed go down also?

I want moar 6 core!!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I don't know much about "IG" so I'm curious if they're doing this to try and compete with AMD APU?

emmm no. intel to try and compete with amd apu? lol

they are doing it for laptops.like always

temps no.look at sandy bridge.still the coolest cpu line.if you delid a haswell,you get similar temps.so where is the temp drop? if they don`t solder it,the temps will go UP with 14nm

temps no.look at sandy bridge.still the coolest cpu line.if you delid a haswell,you get similar temps.so where is the temp drop? if they don`t solder it,the temps will go UP with 14nm

r they that bad in comp.?

You can already have that. You can have a 12 core if you want too.

You can already have that. You can have a 12 core if you want too.

But no consumer grade... just enthusiast and server... :(

Yes. That's where the 30% in energy savings comes from. Also means 30% less heat but in a smaller area. The problem for Intel is not the amount of heat, it is the density of the heat. 4670k produces a hell of a lot less heat than 8350 but 8350s heat is on a larger die and with larger process. That makes the 8350 able to out put its heat and transfer it out of the actual CPU much much quicker. The 4670k 3570k and Broadwell to even more extent keeps the heat trapped in the die and the thermal paste rather than solder just makes it worse. Thermals for Intel are not actual bad though unless you go OCing where their 22nm has a huge problem handling anything over 4.5ish ghz thermals. If you actually remove the thermal limit of Ivy and Haswell, they actually OC better than Sandy.

You can still buy it. Intel is never gonna drop prices now that AMD has given up on the desktop FX line and Opteron until Excavator.

They won't go up, simply stay the same but in a more dense smaller area.

They won't go up, simply stay the same but in a more dense smaller area.

thats the problem.if they will use chewing gum again,it will go up

thats the problem.if they will use chewing gum again,it will go up

Not really. It will be the same or lower unless you start getting into the 4.5ghz+ range. Just like 22nm was to 32nm.

They'll also be moving to 14nm at the same time. Plus they always have the option of using fluxless soldering instead of thermal compound again, if they really need to.

Fluxless solder...

That is not gonna happen.

It is all about the $$$.

Broadwell have 6 cores?Then my 4930K can go right into the bin.Maybe a mac pro bin.

You can get a 3930K for cheap now.

Yes. That's where the 30% in energy savings comes from. Also means 30% less heat but in a smaller area. The problem for Intel is not the amount of heat, it is the density of the heat. 4670k produces a hell of a lot less heat than 8350 but 8350s heat is on a larger die and with larger process. That makes the 8350 able to out put its heat and transfer it out of the actual CPU much much quicker. The 4670k 3570k and Broadwell to even more extent keeps the heat trapped in the die and the thermal paste rather than solder just makes it worse. Thermals for Intel are not actual bad though unless you go OCing where their 22nm has a huge problem handling anything over 4.5ish ghz thermals. If you actually remove the thermal limit of Ivy and Haswell, they actually OC better than Sandy.

30% energy savings?No thanks,this reduces the efficiency of the power supply and in the end not a watt is saved.

Who give a damn about power.. I want intel 8 core!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

30% energy savings?No thanks,this reduces the efficiency of the power supply and in the end not a watt is saved.

How the hell does that reduce efficiency of the power supply and most CPUs sold are through OEMS in desktops and laptops and other devices with PSUs designed for that specific systems total power usage

Intel should put away the IGPUs on some CPUs and put 8 cores on them instead.

Just imagine an Intel CPU with 8 Cores O_O

They should do it like AMD and sperate the APUs with the CPUs.
Because most people that buy higher end CPUs have a dedicated GPU.
That would also lower the cost for the CPU or give some headroom for CPU peformance.

RTX2070OC