Can't access voltage control MSI 1080 Ti Lightning X

Morgoth97

Hey forum,

I was wondering if there is a difference between MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z model and the Lightning X variant. As far as I'm aware the Lightning Z model is the cherry picked one for best performance so there shouldn't be any difference in features.

However when I contacted MSI support I was told that "-Lightning X doesn't support Voltage control-". This is what they sent me as a reply to my inquiry:

"Dear Sir,
    Thanks for contacting MSI technical support team.
    Regarding your concern,
    Sorry,the GTX 1080TI Lightning X doesn't support Voltage Control.You can increase the core clock to get OC mode with MSI Afterburner.
    Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,
MSI Technical Support Team"

The MSI website however states:

IMG_1489.PNG

I found this really frustrating.

When I opened MSI afterburner, my graphics card was identified as "GeForce  GTX 1080 Ti" instead of "MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X" which maybe why my card has limited voltage control.

So perhaps my card is faulty?

Other programs such as MSI Mystic light have no issues in identifying the graphics card properly.

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

It's fairly irrelevant as with Pascal most of the reference boards/chips perform as well or close to the high end, even if you get the most expensive model, you'll be paying a 100 buck + premium over the already high end models for perhaps a 50mhz increase if you're fairly lucky. I'd honestly just get a strix or an evga ftw mate.

i'm assuming they're referring to being able to push beyond the reference maximum voltage by the way although for the reasons above its not worth it

@hammer3339

I already purchased the card and have it runnning. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

10 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

@hammer3339

I already purchased the card and have it runnning. 

fair enough, well , in that case I would say it's purely the ability to go beyond the reference power limit and try and force more volts into the core

I guess if you want to be obtuse no 1080Ti supports voltage control, GPU Boost decides that much for you, and there's no way to turn it off. The best you can do is use the curve in Afterburner to decide at what voltages what clock it uses, but it will still decide the voltage based on how much power it's using, load and temperature. There is no way on any 1080Ti to determine the voltage independent of core temperature, and to my knowledge you can't get a custom BIOS yet.

If you just mean the voltage percent slider isn't visible, make sure you have beta 16 of Afterburner installed, and that the option for it is ticked in your settings. You can also go into the settings and tell it that it's an MSI card, and it should let you change other voltages. To my knowledge, on the default BIOS the Lightning card is still capped to 1.093v just like every other 1080Ti. You could try the LN2 BIOS which raises it a bit, but you'll likely just find it just increases heat, noise and power consumption for a near-nonexistent FPS benefit.