Audeze LCD-X vs LCD-3

RexAevum

Hello,

I have recently acquired a set of Audeze iSine 20 in-ear headphones and the quality of these headphones was amazing, it destroyed anything I have listened to before. I already own Philips Fidelio x2 and SPH9500, Audio Technica AD1000x powered by a set of modi 2 Uber & magni 2 Uber and when I try to compare them to the sound produced by the iSine 20 with the Lightning cable (Cipher cable) the clarity is like night and day, the iSine 20s make me forget I am listening to headphones. I discovered that when using the iSines with my amp/dac the audio quality is much lower compared to the Lightning cable and I am wondering why is that?

I am currently in a position where I can purchase either the LCD - X or LCD-3 at around half the cost, and since the isine set was so amazing, I was considering getting one of them and seeing if I can get a better DAC/amp for them from Audeze ( the Decard) so I can achieve the same and greater audio quality. However, I have no way of listening to them beforehand and it's hard to decide which pair and if it even worth it? I have read/watched several reviews but since they are not direct comparisons and I have gotten different conclusions from different reviewers (of course to be expected), the points that seem to be consistent are that the LCD-x are more neutral and punchy, while the LCD-3s are more laid back and have the classical "Audeze sound" (since i don't really have a reference this doesn't really help me)

So I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on the following questions:

1) In your opinion, is it worth considering the upgrade over what I already have?

2) How do the headphones compare to each other in the sound department?

3) In your opinion which sounds better? And why?

4) Would my amp/dac be able to make use of the headphones or would the Decard be a worthwhile upgrade? And why?

5) Is there a better amp/DAC in the same price range (MSRP $699, ? I might be able to get it a bit cheaper?)?

All feedback and input is welcome and encouraged! 

1) Try them out first. I can't tell if you think the cost is worth the subjective improvement in SQ.

2) LCD-3 seems to have more of the 'Audeze' house sound while LCD-X is more of a V-shaped phone based on online impressions. Take with a grain of salt, and both pair well with a good warranty.

3) No idea. 

4) Magni could power the headphones but there are better stuff out there. Only upgrade the DAC/Amp if:

• You are happy with your headphones/speakers
  • You don't mind spending way more $$$ for that 5% in SQ.
  • You are not in the NwAvGuy cult or browse /r/headphones 

If you fulfill these conditions, you can consider the Jotunheim, DIY designs, or cheap tube amps apart from the Deckard. Just avoid the chinese ones. There are many people who firmly stand on the objective side and likewise the subjective side. I am in the middle ground since I don't believe cables make a difference or listen to graphs all the time. It's really up to you to decide.

5) Not sure about that, but Jotunheim might be a good pairing with the Audezes. 

4 hours ago, seduce_me said:

• You are not in the NwAvGuy cult or browse /r/headphones 

Can you specify what you meant with this sentence

21 hours ago, RexAevum said:

Hello,

I discovered that when using the iSines with my amp/dac the audio quality is much lower compared to the Lightning cable and I am wondering why is that?

You are aware that on your lightning cable, there's a DAC and amp section built into the cable which artificially boost the sound. You can simply use a software player (like foobar2k) which allows for you to EQ the sound to your liking. I have the iSine10 with the same Lightning cable, but I don't use it since I'm 100% certified Android guy. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

4 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

You are aware that on your lightning cable, there's a DAC and amp section built into the cable which artificially boost the sound. You can simply use a software player (like foobar2k) which allows for you to EQ the sound to your liking. I have the iSine10 with the same Lightning cable, but I don't use it since I'm 100% certified Android guy. 

Yeah, I know, but the quality that came out of the headphones with the lighting cable with the dac/amp felt like something that i can't achieve with EQ. This sound was more spacious, clear, deep, in one word amazing, it felt like just what i have been looking for from music.

That's why I'm looking into the LCD line and the Decard - so i can get even greater sound when I'm home.