Youtube video reduces monitor refresh rate

treeroy

I am running into a strange issue with youtube videos.

I have three monitors, all different resolutions and sizes. My central monitor is 144 Hz. The left and right monitors are 60 Hz. I'm currently watching a youtube video in a second browser window, and when I play it on one of the 60 Hz monitors, it reduces the refresh rate of my main monitor to 60 Hz. 

So, if I am playing a game on central monitor at 144 fps, if I try to watch a youtube video in another monitor then the game will run at 60 fps. If I pause the video the monitor returns to 144 Hz.

This didn't used to happen but it was happening yesterday and today, and I've no idea what the solution is. Any ideas? I have tried googling but no results relevant.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

I don't think the monitor refresh rate is changing. It's the game frame rate simply being reduced. Monitor relevant system resources to see what you can find, particularly the CPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think the monitor refresh rate is changing. It's the game frame rate simply being reduced. Monitor relevant system resources to see what you can find, particularly the CPU. 

It happens when I am not playing a game, just dragging a window around I can very clearly see it has reduced to 60 Hz.

17 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats your CPU usage? 

30%

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

10 hours ago, treeroy said:

I am running into a strange issue with youtube videos.

I have three monitors, all different resolutions and sizes. My central monitor is 144 Hz. The left and right monitors are 60 Hz. I'm currently watching a youtube video in a second browser window, and when I play it on one of the 60 Hz monitors, it reduces the refresh rate of my main monitor to 60 Hz. 

So, if I am playing a game on central monitor at 144 fps, if I try to watch a youtube video in another monitor then the game will run at 60 fps. If I pause the video the monitor returns to 144 Hz.

This didn't used to happen but it was happening yesterday and today, and I've no idea what the solution is. Any ideas? I have tried googling but no results relevant.

It's a well-known bug with NVIDIA drivers,as far as I know the only thing you can really do is wait for them to fix it.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It's a well-known bug with NVIDIA drivers,as far as I know the only thing you can really do is wait for them to fix it.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

Thanks for that. Weird that thread is over a year old so this has been going on for some time, but I swear this is a new issue for me, it never used to happen. I don't do it very often but when I've watched videos on one monitor and gamed on another it's never been a problem...

Oh, duh. I swapped to a new graphics card a few weeks ago. Why can my old 780 Ti handle it fine, but my 1080 can't?!

5 hours ago, treeroy said:

Oh, duh. I swapped to a new graphics card a few weeks ago. Why can my old 780 Ti handle it fine, but my 1080 can't?!

Were you running the latest drivers with the 780 Ti? The bug might be graphics card specific. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Were you running the latest drivers with the 780 Ti? The bug might be graphics card specific. 

probably not, I rarely update the drivers for any of my hardware. I read on the thread linked above that it seems to only be an issue on 9xx and 10xx cards.

8 hours ago, treeroy said:

probably not, I rarely update the drivers for any of my hardware. I read on the thread linked above that it seems to only be an issue on 9xx and 10xx cards.

It might be a good habit to keep your graphics drivers up-to-date as they can directly impact your video game performance, particularly in newer games.