Gaming PC - First Build

Yeti.Shah

Hi Guys,

I am looking to switch from the console to the PC world of gaming. 

I was wondering if someone could help me with my build for a compact pc in a case like the Cooler Master Elite 130 for around 500 $. I would like to play the games on my 48" vizio tv. I mostly just play FIFA and am looking to get back into first person shooting games once the PC is built. The $500 budget is just for the PC and not peripherals and OS.

Any help with be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mitul

buy used, you might want to get a monitor and not game on a TV as the input lag is terrible usually 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

buy used, you might want to get a monitor and not game on a TV as the input lag is terrible usually 

I don't have space for another monitor. My only option is using the TV. I haven't had any problems using my playstation on the tv and am assuming that the pc would have an equivalent output

Just now, Yeti.Shah said:

I don't have space for another monitor. My only option is using the TV. I haven't had any problems using my playstation on the tv and am assuming that the pc would have an equivalent output

alright

--

look for something along the lines of a used 980ti, and a used 2700k or 3770k, buy a new ssd, you can get a random free case for.. free until you have extra funds to buy a nice case (optional), can buy a used HDD

should all still be in budget or maybe slightly.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

alright

--

look for something along the lines of a used 980ti, and a used 2700k or 3770k, buy a new ssd, you can get a random free case for.. free until you have extra funds to buy a nice case (optional), can buy a used HDD

should all still be in budget or maybe slightly.

Based on some searches in the past few weeks, this is a build I came up with. What do you think ? I know its not a 2700k but quite a few builds have the G4560 CPU. I am also getting that on sale 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B7Z7LD
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B7Z7LD/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($57.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.97 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($65.18 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card  ($148.68 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($25.00) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $409.00

1 minute ago, Yeti.Shah said:

Based on some searches in the past few weeks, this is a build I came up with. What do you think ? I know its not a 2700k but quite a few builds have the G4560 CPU. I am also getting that on sale 

Power Supply: EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.98 @ Newegg) 

Right now, for a base point, that should do you just fine. With Coffee Lake right around the corner, you may want to see what it provides, being as it's just around the corner.

Just now, Yeti.Shah said:

looks good for a budget build to me, could go ryzen 3 but it is $40 more expensive or something along those lines, but you're getting a 4/4 CPU thats on par to slightly worse than an i3 in gaming

you forgot your HDD/SSD.

a 2700k is better than a g4560 because it has 2 more cores and you can overclock it, the IPC gain for it is like 11%, so not a lot.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

Right now, for a base point, that should do you just fine. With Coffee Lake right around the corner, you may want to see what it provides, being as it's just around the corner.

Thank you. I am not in a hurry to build this. I don't mind waiting. But given my form factor is fixed, I can atleast begin by buying the case and keep looking for deals as I build along.

Just now, themctipers said:

looks good for a budget build to me, could go ryzen 3 but it is $40 more expensive or something along those lines, but you're getting a 4/4 CPU thats on par to slightly worse than an i3 in gaming

you forgot your HDD/SSD.

a 2700k is better than a g4560 because it has 2 more cores and you can overclock it, the IPC gain for it is like 11%, so not a lot.

I do have a spare HDD, so havent included it in the build. I also plan to salvage my playstation's hdd.

2 minutes ago, Yeti.Shah said:

Thank you. I am not in a hurry to build this. I don't mind waiting. But given my form factor is fixed, I can atleast begin by buying the case and keep looking for deals as I build along.

don't buy the motherboard now, coffee lake isn't compatible with any 100 or 200 series motherboards.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

don't buy the motherboard now, coffee lake isn't compatible with any 100 or 200 series motherboards.

Thank you for that ! I wasn't aware. For now I will only get the case. I found a deal to get the cooler master case for $18 after rebate. I will hold off on the rest and keep an eye out for Coffee Lake. My part list might change once that's out.

Thank guys. This is very helpful.

If you have decided you like that case and PSU, then I'd say go for it. Since you already have a hard drive, look into a 120-250GB SSD. You don't need one really expensive, but it can really make the system feel faster. If you can find the graphics card on sale, great. Unfortunately, thanks to cryptocurrency, prices are high, so if you can find a decent price on a used card, great. I'd make sure they didn't mine with it, though. Personal precaution.

2 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

If you have decided you like that case and PSU, then I'd say go for it. Since you already have a hard drive, look into a 120-250GB SSD. You don't need one really expensive, but it can really make the system feel faster. If you can find the graphics card on sale, great. Unfortunately, thanks to cryptocurrency, prices are high, so if you can find a decent price on a used card, great. I'd make sure they didn't mine with it, though. Personal precaution.

The form factor for that case is what tempts me to go for this configuration. I would like to get bigger case but it would fit in my media center. Any suggestions on where I can find good used video cards (knowing that it depends on the seller) ? 

29 minutes ago, Yeti.Shah said:

and am looking to get back into first person shooting games once the PC is built

26 minutes ago, Yeti.Shah said:

I haven't had any problems using my playstation on the tv and am assuming that the pc would have an equivalent output

If you are playing fps on multiplayer on the playstation everyone was suffering from roughly the same input lag.  If you play a multiplayer fps on pc with a with a tv you will be going up against players with a much better input lag reduction with pc monitors that will put you at a disadvantage.  

1 minute ago, Beowulff83 said:

If you are playing fps on multiplayer on the playstation everyone was suffering from roughly the same input lag.  If you play a multiplayer fps on pc with a with a tv you will be going up against players with a much better input lag reduction with pc monitors that will put you at a disadvantage.  

Not looking to play multiplayer fps anytime soon. Mostly FIFA and maybe some COD.

The form factor for that case is what tempts me to go for this configuration. I would like to get bigger case but it would fit in my media center. Any suggestions on where I can find good used video cards (knowing that it depends on the seller) ? 

That is an excelent question. Forums, like this one, are usually some of the best places, however, I've noticed more other places, such as Facebook's Marketplace, Craigslist, and Ebay. The caviot to these is there is no real way of checking to see how reputable the sellers are, and you run into people who can be rather shady. Some sites, like Newegg, and Amazon do sell used hardware.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

That is an excelent question. Forums, like this one, are usually some of the best places, however, I've noticed more other places, such as Facebook's Marketplace, Craigslist, and Ebay. The caviot to these is there is no real way of checking to see how reputable the sellers are, and you run into people who can be rather shady. Some sites, like Newegg, and Amazon do sell used hardware.

True. I would prefer paying a little more and getting it from newegg/amazon/microcenter or ebay. Plus with those sites, if the product isn't performing well, with a credit card purchase I can return it to the vendor or credit card company and get a full refund. I can't do that with a random person on craiglist 

2 minutes ago, Yeti.Shah said:

True. I would prefer paying a little more and getting it from newegg/amazon/microcenter or ebay. Plus with those sites, if the product isn't performing well, with a credit card purchase I can return it to the vendor or credit card company and get a full refund. I can't do that with a random person on craiglist 

Ebay still has an iffy return policy, where as Amazon and Newegg is more straight forward. I don't know that much about Microcenter, being as there isn't one near me (it's over 200 miles away)

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Ebay still has an iffy return policy, where as Amazon and Newegg is more straight forward. I don't know that much about Microcenter, being as there isn't one near me (it's over 200 miles away)

This has more to do with my credit card purchase protection that ebay's return policy. Again, I would still want to be more careful than file claims and chase the credit card companies for a return. Its just good to know that the option exists if things go wrong !  

Guys, 

I had one thought. My wife uses a home office computer with a G4560 CPU, an ASROCK B250M-HDV LGA 1151 motherboard and 8gb of RAM. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to just buy a new GPU and convert the home office computer to a dual use Home office / Gaming setup. I would use a long HDMI cable to connect to my TV for my gaming. 

What do you guys think ? This way I can afford a 1060 maybe.

Thanks and Regards,

Mitul