Moving windows 10 from old PC to new one

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
12 minutes ago, anthonytran7757 said:

Bought it from ncix some years ago. Oh so i can just throw the key in like I used to back when windows 7 was the latest and it should work out nicely?

Yes. Key is registered for Win10 and Win7. I haven't done this myself, but there are several users who have done it and got it working just like that.

So I'm upgrading my computer (cpu motherboard and memory) in the next little while and I've done a bit of research and I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not. So my worry is that I won't be able to transfer it. I started out with an OEM version of Windows 7 and upgraded to 10. Some places say that I won't be able to transfer my key due to Microsoft changing the policies and being a bit of a d*** about it. I've done it once years ago when windows 7 was the most current OS. can anyone shed some light on this situation? Also I'm looking to do a fresh install as well but my main issue is potentially not being able to use my key on they new hardware.

PS sorry if this was too rambly :P

23 minutes ago, anthonytran7757 said:

So I'm upgrading my computer (cpu motherboard and memory) in the next little while and I've done a bit of research and I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not. So my worry is that I won't be able to transfer it. I started out with an OEM version of Windows 7 and upgraded to 10. Some places say that I won't be able to transfer my key due to Microsoft changing the policies and being a bit of a d*** about it. I've done it once years ago when windows 7 was the most current OS. can anyone shed some light on this situation? Also I'm looking to do a fresh install as well but my main issue is potentially not being able to use my key on they new hardware.

PS sorry if this was too rambly :P

it will probably create more problems than it's worth.. it's set up to work one one set of hardware, if you change the hardware, not only does the drivers not work properly, but you might not be able to start windows at all.. programs might not work.. cleaning out the old settings is very time consuming and manual work, and even then you most likely will have traces of the old computer..

doing a fresh reinstall may be tedious, but you'll get a windows that is compatible with the computer you have built, you don't have to macguyver any solutions to get a half broken windows to work, and you start out with a fresh installation without any residual programs lying around 

tl;dr moving a windows installation to new hardware is not adviced, reinstall instead.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Will I be able to use the key (from updated OEM windows 7) found on my current system to do a fresh install on the new hardware? If so how would I go about doing that? I don't want to have to go out and buy another copy of Windows 10 s*** is expensive :D

24 minutes ago, Changis said:

it will probably create more problems than it's worth.. it's set up to work one one set of hardware, if you change the hardware, not only does the drivers not work properly, but you might not be able to start windows at all.. programs might not work.. cleaning out the old settings is very time consuming and manual work, and even then you most likely will have traces of the old computer..

doing a fresh reinstall may be tedious, but you'll get a windows that is compatible with the computer you have built, you don't have to macguyver any solutions to get a half broken windows to work, and you start out with a fresh installation without any residual programs lying around 

tl;dr moving a windows installation to new hardware is not adviced, reinstall instead.

He's talking about the key being valid.

not the HDD working.

10 minutes ago, anthonytran7757 said:

Will I be able to use the key (from updated OEM windows 7) found on my current system to do a fresh install on the new hardware? If so how would I go about doing that? I don't want to have to go out and buy another copy of Windows 10 s*** is expensive :D

quote people when you reply...

also, it should work. just remember to link your current PC to your Microsoft account, and you should be good.

even if it doesn't then a quick call to Microsoft will fix the issue.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, anthonytran7757 said:

How did you get OEM Win7? If it came with current PC, then its 50-50. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you bought it separetly from store, it should work like retail key. It should also work directly in Win10 so you don't need to install Win7 first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

He's talking about the key being valid.

not the HDD working.

quote people when you reply...

also, it should work. just remember to link your current PC to your Microsoft account, and you should be good.

even if it doesn't then a quick call to Microsoft will fix the issue.

Oops sorry :P didn't know that was a thing. So as long as it is tied to my Microsoft account it doesn't matter as long as I can log into that account everything should be cool?

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

How did you get OEM Win7? If it came with current PC, then its 50-50. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you bought it separetly from store, it should work like retail key. It should also work directly in Win10 so you don't need to install Win7 first.

Bought it from ncix some years ago. Oh so i can just throw the key in like I used to back when windows 7 was the latest and it should work out nicely?

Just now, anthonytran7757 said:

Oops sorry :P didn't know that was a thing. So as long as it is tied to my Microsoft account it doesn't matter as long as I can log into that account everything should be cool?

Mostly.

windows will probably start out Unactivated, but there's an option in windows activation settings (after running a troubleshooter) that asks you if you have recently changed hardware. if you answer yes, then it deactivates the old motherboard (keys are linked to motherboards), and transfers the key to the new one.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

12 minutes ago, anthonytran7757 said:

Yes. Key is registered for Win10 and Win7. I haven't done this myself, but there are several users who have done it and got it working just like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Mostly.

windows will probably start out Unactivated, but there's an option in windows activation settings (after running a troubleshooter) that asks you if you have recently changed hardware. if you answer yes, then it deactivates the old motherboard (keys are linked to motherboards), and transfers the key to the new one.

alright fingers crossed it'll work without any problems

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Good to know though I was freaking out thinking I was screwed because I didn't exactly have a windows 10 retail key I could use over and over again. Thanks for putting my worries at ease :D

Just an update, can confirm putting the key in works and I was also goofing around and the microsoft account method also does work!