rx 460 power

DigitalFlower

Hi! so it's been more than half a year since i got my rx 460 and i've noticed it being quite slower than what it was supposed to be, i started checking everything, and saw it was peaking at 35W of power draw, which was strange since it is rated for 75W. i see it shows the load to be 100% in HWinfo64, and the power sometimes peak to 45W but not for more than a second, even when on full load rendering something in blender. both hwinfo and afterburner show the card consuming the 30~35W max, and i wonder what that might be, i've been looking for months about that and i can find nothing. these are my pc specs if anyone wonders. and my psu is a 500w thermaltake tr2.  anyone knows what might be the issue?  thank you! 

specs1.PNG

power.PNG

17 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

snip

1. It's possible that the CPU you have could be bottlenecking the RX 460.

2. Have you tried updating to the latest Stable Driver for your GPU?

3. That's a pretty hefty OC from a 460 from what I remember about the launch.

Anyhow, you can rest easy on those Power consumption figures. Some RX 460 GPUs are incredibly low power. it entirely depends upon the quality of the Chip that your RX 460 uses.

Typically, Polaris 10 chips using very little power are given to Notebooks but the supply for that has diminished somewhat and so it is possible that you have a pretty well binned RX 460.

Also, TDP != Power Draw/Power Consumption. TDP is related to how much Heat can be dissipated by the Thermal Solution on a product. While it is true that TDP and Power Consumption can be similar, they are typically not the same.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

1. It's possible that the CPU you have could be bottlenecking the RX 460.

2. Have you tried updating to the latest Stable Driver for your GPU?

3. That's a pretty hefty OC from a 460 from what I remember about the launch.

Anyhow, you can rest easy on those Power consumption figures. Some RX 460 GPUs are incredibly low power. it entirely depends upon the quality of the Chip that your RX 460 uses.

Typically, Polaris 10 chips using very little power are given to Notebooks but the supply for that has diminished somewhat and so it is possible that you have a pretty well binned RX 460.

Also, TDP != Power Draw/Power Consumption. TDP is related to how much Heat can be dissipated by the Thermal Solution on a product. While it is true that TDP and Power Consumption can be similar, they are typically not the same.

Hi! i honestly don't see how it might be bottlenecking the gpu in a blender workload, ( blender loads the tile data in gpu memory, then gpu processes it) and the gpu core utilisation shows as 100% while cpu utilisation is basically the same as idle unless i start another blender instance and start rendering on cpu parallel to the opencl rendering in the other instance, also, when i do render on both cpu and gpu, the gpu times stay the same, about 10 minutes per frame on my last animation, 10 minutes per frame both when rendering another frame with cpu and when only using gpu to render the animation. 

i have been updating drivers as they arrive for the past few months hoping one would fix it, but it hasn't happened and i'm not expecting it will. 

it is not overclocked, 1212 MHz is stock settings on that powercolor card. i only overclock the cpu to 3.7GHz. 

and well, i'm not sure i got a well binned one since a friend who also has one ( he uses it for gaming) by request rendered the same frame on his and it took  it 7 minutes while on mine it took 10min 13 seconds (same settings) , also his card showed a power consumption of 60w. unfortunately he lives  too far away for me to take my card to his pc or viceversa. 

thank you! 

1 minute ago, DigitalFlower said:

Hi! i honestly don't see how it might be bottlenecking the gpu in a blender workload, ( blender loads the tile data in gpu memory, then gpu processes it) and the gpu core utilisation shows as 100% while cpu utilisation is basically the same as idle unless i start another blender instance and start rendering on cpu parallel to the opencl rendering in the other instance, also, when i do render on both cpu and gpu, the gpu times stay the same, about 10 minutes per frame on my last animation, 10 minutes per frame both when rendering another frame with cpu and when only using gpu to render the animation. 

i have been updating drivers as they arrive for the past few months hoping one would fix it, but it hasn't happened and i'm not expecting it will. 

it is not overclocked, 1212 MHz is stock settings on that powercolor card. i only overclock the cpu to 3.7GHz. 

and well, i'm not sure i got a well binned one since a friend who also has one ( he uses it for gaming) by request rendered the same frame on his and it took  it 7 minutes while on mine it took 10min 13 seconds (same settings) , also his card showed a power consumption of 60w. unfortunately he lives  too far away for me to take my card to his pc or viceversa. 

thank you! 

I've seen reports that 1050ti's thrown in dell box's can come across this 30-35w limit also on the PCIE slot, severely hampering performance.

297d230456572b5ad4954c5793ece7d6.jpg

I can't find anything specific about that particular motherboard you're using...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I've seen reports that 1050ti's thrown in dell box's can come across this 30-35w limit also on the PCIE slot, severely hampering performance.

297d230456572b5ad4954c5793ece7d6.jpg

I can't find anything specific about that particular motherboard you're using...

hi! thank you, i really don't know, i used to have and HD5670 by sapphire, which was a 65w card i believe? and well, it did manage to achieve the same performance reported by others, not in blender since blender only supports 7xxx cards by amd, but in the few games i played. i play league of legends every now and then, and when i had the 5670 it reached 100~frames/s, medium settings at 900p. with the rx460 it is weird because when the game starts it goes up to 220~ fps then starts to go down slowly to 120~, and the cpu sits at 20~30% usage, and the gpu shows peaks from 20 to 100% that look almost like this |,|,|,|,| on afterburner .  might be a bad gpu? that's what i've been thinking lately.