Gaming rig stats

What stats would you look at most for pure gaming rigs? 

I usually go for the following:

Cpu: prefer 4 core at least and get as high of a base clock you can, how many pcie lanes shoukd I look for? L3 cache?

Ram I hear for gaming speed is bye then a lower cas latency and only really need about 6 gigs

Hdd/ssd: go for m.2 esp for os and programs

Cooling for overclocking go for liquid and for dual loops go one for cpu and other for gpu's. I'm told for gaming youll get more heat from gpu then cpu. Do you nees to liquid cool ram....,like ever?

Psu its a pay as long as its platinum or titanium rating your probably good.

Mobo: ram supported and m.2 slots and how many gpu u want usually is say at least 3 would you need more then that for a gaming rig? Even if you have multi screens.

This doesnt make much sense and what are you going to be doing in a couple of years

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

What's your budget and curency

im just taliing in general, obviously you'll look at what you can do and allocate more or less of your budget to where it'll do the most good but I'm asking as a pure stats mentality ignoring price.

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

This doesnt make much sense and what are you going to be doing in a couple of years

Probably still be gaming regularly.

Just now, Elevenbgrunt said:

Budget and country?

9 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

What stats would you look at most for pure gaming rigs? 

I usually go for the following:

Cpu: prefer 4 core at least and get as high of a base clock you can, how many pcie lanes shoukd I look for? L3 cache?

Ram I hear for gaming speed is bye then a lower cas latency and only really need about 6 gigs

Cooling for overclocking go for liquid and for dual loops go one for cpu and other for gpu's. I'm told for gaming youll get more heat from gpu then cpu. Do you nees to liquid cool ram....,like ever?

Mobo: ram supported and m.2 slots and how many gpu u want usually is say at least 3 would you need more then that for a gaming rig? Even if you have multi screens.

if i was gaming only:

7700k, m.2 nvme all the things, 32gb 3600mhz, custom loop, ax1200i, that extreme edition asus one, 

but thats stupid.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Budget and country?

USA and I'm not thinking about budget I'm looking more as an idea of what's your stat priority for each part.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

if i was gaming only:

7700k, m.2 nvme all the things, 32gb 3600mhz, custom loop, ax1200i, that extreme edition asus one, 

but thats stupid.

Whats stupid? And why?

USA and I'm not thinking about budget I'm looking more as an idea of what's your stat priority for each part.

Mostly gaming would depend on the resolution

Whats stupid? And why?

Its WAY too over the top just for gaming

9 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

You definitley need a 4 core at least.PCIE in this day and age don't really matter that much as long as you have at least 20.I wouldn't bother comparing cache but maybe 10mb ish

10 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

Ryzen needs Ram speeds above 2800mhz otherwise it's going to lower performance.I would say at least 8gigs though because lot's of games have a minimum of 8(at 1080p)

11 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

M.2 dosen't give any advantages unless it's NVME.I would just grab a WD 1tb blue and a SL308 500GB

12 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

If you buy a titanium GPU you are overpaying as hell.Just stick with gold

13 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

You only need 1 GPU for a gaming rig

My life

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Its WAY too over the top just for gaming

Nothing wrong with over the top. I'm looking more for what stats do you look at maxing out per part not so much which parts.

Whats stupid? And why?

because i wouldnt get it, id get ryzen for the cores, a stupidly expensive motherboard is also useless just slightly better overclocking, custom loop is expensive and well, ryzen can only clock to 4ghz or so on most chips, nvme is really expensive and just buy a regular ssd or hdd for games, and ax1200i is $200 and 1200w is 2x the amount of wattage for a build

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Ok, a few things.  M.2 doesn't matter in gaming, 4 cores 4 threads isn't enough anymore and plenty of games can easily devour 6gb of RAM.

Also, while it is unlikely a titanium or platinum psu could be utter trash.  The 80+ system is just how efficient a psu is.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Nothing wrong with over the top. I'm looking more for what stats do you look at maxing out per part not so much which parts.

I would max  the GPU out first unless the CPU bottle necks it and ram 16gb should be fine

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

M.2 doesn't matter in gaming

Unless it's NVME.then that'll improve load times.

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Unless it's NVME.then that'll improve load times.

Eh, there are severe diminishing returns from say, an 850 Pro to a 960 evo.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

LOL it took me a while too long to make this list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YCGtGf

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

LOL it took me a while too long to make this list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YCGtGf

7740x is better ;)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

7740x is better ;)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Thats stupid but why pcie ssd why not nvme m.2?

Right, I totally made that list as a legitimate list, not as a troll shitpost. PCIe is equal or faster in speeds anyways.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

The current trend is, high core count (4 is the minumum at the moment, most AAA games can properly use 8 threads efficiently), of course, the higher the frequency, the better, but the IPC is way more important - You want high IPC, a FX8350 can easily go 8 threads at 4,6 o 4,8GHz and it will be demolished even by i5's.... PCI lanes, not really a worry. You will have enough for GPU, 2 NVMe drives and a wireless network card on all current chipsets (x20 or so).

RAM - at least 8GBs.

GPU - mid-high end, 1060/1070, depending on budget if possible.

PSU - Dont grab platinum/titanium. A gold one is more than enough, and the price/performance is best.

Storage - If a NVMe drive is possible, then go for it. Else, just grab a standard SSD with a big HDD.

Cooling - Noctua ftw. I dislike AIO water cooling, more prone to failure or leakage, you can get achieve the same thermals on air than with water (Unless you go custom).

Mobo - Mid end. High end is overly expensive, while offering little more USEFULL functionality when compared to a mid end one (USD90-150 would be right).

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

54 minutes ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

Much of what you said is irrelevant and budget depending.

A good gaming cpu, for just gaming, is a 7600k.Gives you plenty of power for games now and overclocking headroom later.

Mobo - does it have the features you want? Like wifi, support for the amount of ram you want, and maybe wifi and bluetooth?  Yes, thats the best board for you. 

And is it the correct board for your cpu? 

Example - 7600k can overclock in a z270 board, but not in a h270 board. 

16gb of ram is plenty for gaming. Cas latencies and speeds dont make or break gaming. 

Gpu - depends on your monitors and how many you have.  1070 is fine for up to 3 1440p screens. Your only gaming on 1, doesnt take alot of gpu to run secondary screens.  

Example - friend of mine runs 3 1080p screens off a 970. No issues, can watch a movie and game at the same time.

Storage - M2 drives are still semi expensive, its a splurge rather than a must have. A good 500gb ssd is more than enough for your OS and some games.  

Games loading times and speeds arent affected by an SSD too much to make it matter. A good old hard drive is fine for games if your budget is limited. 

Power supplies, just make sure you have a good one and it has enough watts for what you are doing with your pc.

Liquid coolers are nice, but many get by fine with them, even on the cpu. 

Watercooling your gpu is unnecessary for pure gaming.  Most gpus run in the 55-70 area under a gaming load with the air cooler they left the factory with.

For a gaming load, aircoolers they have are fine. 

Now this is all dependant on the temps in the room your pc is in.  Do you live in the desert and does your pc live there too? No, aircoolers are fine. 

You dug way too deep into it and are completely over thinking it.  For gaming and with the budget allowing the following pc is more than enough.

Z270 mobo

16gb of ram

1070 gpu

600w or so psu

500gb ssd for os and some games

2tb hard drive for back ups and games you dont play that often.

Probably get a pc like that for like 1200 or so with good quality made parts. Or less depending on sales, and what specific parts you pick. 

Building a pc doesnt have to be hard. By that i mean, picking parts. 

The above pc will give you probably 2-3 years before you'll need a new gpu. Then another 2 or 3 after that on the cpu, board, ram and storage.  All for 1200 or so now, then a couple hundred later on. 

Just my 2 cents.