Overclocking side effects?

So, a year ago I built my rig with an i7 6700K and an MSi Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. I was able to dial in an overclock to 4.7GHz 1.38V, it was 100% stable and I was happy with it. 6 months later, I plug something in the USB 3.1 Type A, and it literally corrupted windows, after 6 windows reinstall I can confirm that the port is the cause of the BSODs and windows corruption.

Then I bought an ASRock Z270 Extreme4 because the MSI had a broken port AND I needed more SATA ports. Plus I thought the ASRock looked better.

I tried dialing my OC in the new board, it BSODed for bad OC, I just brought it back to stock and was happy about it. 3 days ago I decided to give overclocking a try, and I got it stable again at 4.7GHz with 1.385V this time. It has been stable since (I gamed all day yesterday and it never crashed, temps were fine). Today, I was browsing youtube, suddenly all my screens go black, but sound keeps playing (dedicated GPU and dedicated sound card), comes back with a sound of USB unplugged, and now none of my USB ports are working in Windows, I reboot, I can get into the bios, both keyboard and mouse are working, try to boot, gets to the login screen, none of my USB works, nor my PS/2 keyboard. I try to reboot again, BSOD: unable to reach boot device... I reboot again, the raid controller says all my drives are fine, and I can get into the BIOS again and my USB devices work, but I can't boot anymore...

Are my problem caused by my overclocks being too hard on the board voltage wise? Or am I just bad-lucky?

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

bad luck, try to add more voltage on your CPU, might fix.  i had an issue with windows just not booting up (couldnt find bootloader) because i installed a different GPU :(

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Your issue is called "MSi" :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Try resetting to stock clocks and see what happens.

CPUs degrade slightly over time, so you might need to either pump a bit more voltage, or lower the clockspeed, after several years of use. however, this seems too soon for that to be an issue. maybe the board just has worse power delivery (less phases, more ripple, etc.)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Your issue is called "MSi" :P

It wasn't my first board, but I don't know how I feel about them, they feel cheap and their drivers are subpar for the audio chipset, but they deliver some solid OC stability and a great customer support in Canada, plus now I have a dedicated sound card...

Also, I'm having issues with the ASRock one now... So that's why I'm starting to think I'm the problem

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Try resetting to stock clocks and see what happens.

CPUs degrade slightly over time, so you might need to either pump a bit more voltage, or lower the clockspeed, after several years of use. however, this seems too soon for that to be an issue. maybe the board just has worse power delivery (less phases, more ripple, etc.)

The MSI had 7 phases, while the ASRock has 10... the power supply is the same (EVGA 650GQ, not the best, but does a good job)

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

1 hour ago, Kevo05s said:

It wasn't my first board, but I don't know how I feel about them, they feel cheap and their drivers are subpar for the audio chipset, but they deliver some solid OC stability and a great customer support in Canada, plus now I have a dedicated sound card...

Also, I'm having issues with the ASRock one now... So that's why I'm starting to think I'm the problem

The MSI had 7 phases, while the ASRock has 10... the power supply is the same (EVGA 650GQ, not the best, but does a good job)

Hm...

Strange.

TBH IDK

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

22 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Hm...

Strange.

TBH IDK

I reset my clocks to stock, will use it for a while, then, if the crash doesn't happen, I'll start over with my overclock and see what will happen