Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

ShatteredPsycho

Hello eveyone,

I'm considering buying this phone but I would like to hear some opinions from people who know or have used the phone. Is it worth? Pros\cons, that sort of stuff

Also, on the specs websites they say it has a deca core processor, but on the website listing from the store where i'm buying it says eight core. Does this model have 8 or 10 cores?

Thanks

There are multiple versions, the generally better snapdragon version 8cores (less mediatek issues, insane battery life) and the 10 core mediatek version (slightly better build quality, normal mediatek issues eg heating , fluidity issues)

I have used the Redmi note 3 snapdragon version, battery life is really good, cameras are meh (note 4 is a vast improvement but not better than other normal mid range phones) and MIUI is very fluid and gets frequent updates.

Get the 3/4GB version as MIUI can be very RAM hungry.

Anything particular you want to know?

FYI the note 5 series is roumored to launch on the 23rd August and could bring interesting improvements , just as a word of advice as you may want to wait.

Just now, ScratchCat said:

There are multiple versions, the generally better snapdragon version 8cores (less mediatek issues, insane battery life) and the 10 core mediatek version (slightly better build quality, normal mediatek issues eg heating , fluidity issues)

I have used the Redmi note 3 snapdragon version, battery life is really good, cameras are meh (note 4 is a vast improvement but not better than other normal mid range phones) and MIUI is very fluid and gets frequent updates.

Get the 3/4GB version as MIUI can be very RAM hungry.

Anything particular you want to know?

FYI the note 5 series is roumored to launch on the 23rd August and could bring interesting improvements , just as a word of advice as you may want to wait.

Did you felt any degrading on the phone performance wise? And is the battery still holding up?

I did not know that the new series was coming up, maybe I'll wait for that then. Thanks for the reply!

Just now, ShatteredPsycho said:

Hello eveyone,

I'm considering buying this phone but I would like to hear some opinions from people who know or have used the phone. Is it worth? Pros\cons, that sort of stuff

Also, on the specs websites they say it has a deca core processor, but on the website listing from the store where i'm buying it says eight core. Does this model have 8 or 10 cores?

Thanks

Alright, So basically I own a Redmi Note 3, its predecessor and So far after 1 year, it is still holding up strong even with my type of usage. I've had hands on with the Redmi Note 4 and I can say it an amazing phone for the price you pay. 

Pros: 

Performance- good multi core performance

Aesthetics- looks pretty good not really any explanation needed

Large and bright screen- 5.5" screen

Good battery life- Lasts pretty much all day 

Build quality- Aluminium chassis

Cons: 

Mediocre camera- too many megapixels jammed into a minuscule sensor

Slow fingerprint sensor- finger needs to be pretty much bone dry for optimal performance

MIUI- Default home ui is similar to iOS by having all the apps on the main screen and no app drawer, perfectly okay for an iOS user but maybe not so much for a traditional android user like me. 

Fragile back chassis- After a few months of usage and typical wear and tear the phone managed to get several dents even with a case.

So the 8 core is the Snapdragon version of the phone, typically featuring a slightly lower performance chip but in its place, you get a cooler phone, longer battery, more support for MIUI updates as well as more stability.

The 10 core is the Mediatek version, typically featuring a higher performance chip but the cost is reduced battery life and commonly reported and as mentioned above, heating problems. Along side that it also gets fewer updates and is often less stable. 

(mileage may vary)

3 minutes ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Did you felt any degrading on the phone performance wise? And is the battery still holding up?

I did not know that the new series was coming up, maybe I'll wait for that then. Thanks for the reply!

Well in my case everything is holding up great apart from the chassis but that's probably just me. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

15 minutes ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

The Redmi note 3 has worse build quality by far than the note 4 (3 is pressed, 4 is CNC cut).

It has a few dents on its chrome trim as that is soft metal but in all other regards it is in perfect condition.

Additionally as @another random person Mentioned, the software support it better on the snapdragon version , the Redmi note 4X (what the snapdragon version is called) is getting android 7 while the Note 4 not X will probably not.

Also custom ROMs are more common and more up to date/ stable on the snapdragon version

image.thumb.jpeg.cbe91167be941d9046749b221ac3ee81.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5112476848acf8017f249bb672b86c5f.jpegRedmi note 3 above, iPhone 4s below, both compressed by what's app 

Note 4 is a good improvement on the note 3 in colour reproduction , see gsmarena for images 

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Budget and locale?

The Note 4 is fantastic value, but there may be something better

You'll want to install a custom rom though

There is the Lenovo P2 which is more expensive but comes with stock android if that is your thing and an EVEN BIGGER BATTERY. 5300mah.

If you use MIUI for a bit you get used to it and it has it's perks eg disabling data access for certain apps, preventing certain background processes starting and others. Though if you want to use a stock for its features I agree that a rom is best.

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

The Redmi note 3 has worse build quality by far than the note 4 (3 is pressed, 4 is CNC cut).

It has a few dents on its chrome trim as that is soft metal but in all other regards it is in perfect condition.

Additionally as @another random person Mentioned, the software support it better on the snapdragon version , the Redmi note 4X (what the snapdragon version is called) is getting android 7 while the Note 4 not X will probably not.

Also custom ROMs are more common and more up to date/ stable on the snapdragon version

Thanks for the pics and the info

I'll prob do what @another random person said and wait out for the new phones.

They may come with type c usb, the faster charging is helpfull for me.

11 minutes ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Thanks for the pics and the info

I'll prob do what @another random person said and wait out for the new phones.

They may come with type c usb, the faster charging is helpfull for me.

True, I forgot they didn't have type-C. Good luck