Green and red image flashing, followed by crash

Nathaniel Vazquez

Hello all, I was playing through GTA 5 when suddenly the monitor turns into a mess of green and red pixels, flashing very similar to something you would see at a rave. There is a dull drone sound coming through the speakers as well. After a few seconds the screen went black with the drone sound still there. After shutting off the system and restarting, nothing would display. Monitor is detecting a signal but only showing a black image. When booting the lights on my EVGA 1060 SSC will light up for 3 seconds then shut off, remain off for about 30 seconds, then turn back on (as soon as the monitor detects a signal from the graphics card). I do have a r5 1400 overclocked to 3.65 GHz with voltage set to 1.275 volts. Ran fine last night after the new overclock while being stressed in prime 95 for 2 hours. I would try to boot without graphics card, but the 1400 does not have Integrated graphics so I can not see if it posts. Gpu light on the motherboard stays a solid red light on boot then shuts off when monitor gets detected. Any and all help is appreciated.

try reverting the over clock and playing again think its cauzed by overclock

11 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

try reverting the over clock and playing again think its cauzed by overclock

Already tried clearing CMOS, problem still persists.

6 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

reinstall drivers 

Not exactly able to do that... Nothing shows on the monitor

try your monitor on another computer / your computer with another monitor.

remove graphics card, in order to display with processor (plug your monitor on the motherboard)

if your computer can't display at all even without graphics card then you're fucked big time

if your monitor is broken then well try unplugging it and holding the power button for a few seconds, same with the computer.

if it's a software issue and you can access your computer but can't find the culprit with your graphics card, try a fresh windows install. (gonna wipe everything)

try your graphics card in another computer? well dude use your brain there are many things you could try i did'nt even list them all here.

also make sure you remove your overclock.... (meh dem overclockers.... -_-)

you don't need to overclock if you do not need more performances to perform the tasks you are doing, you are just diminishing the life span of your hardware. I will overclock only in the late life of my components to squeeze out as much use time as i can from them, even if i overclocked my components right now it would'nt change a damn thing, it would be the difference between running all games smoothly at max settings without overclock and doing it with an overclock... the only difference is the overclock.

green and red image flashing? do you have both Nvidia and AMD components in your setup? they might be fighting

46 minutes ago, Nathaniel Vazquez said:

-snip-

it does seem a little like the gpu artifacted and stopped working..
did you overclock the graphics card? did you stress test / benchmark the gpu before it crashed?
what temperatures does your computer reach? (cpu/gpu/case internal)

also, getting a gpu for testing isn't that expensive..

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-QUADRO-NVS285-DMS-59-CN-0DH261/dp/B071X6WDM9/ref=sr_1_23?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502681426&sr=1-23&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6030981011

https://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-TV-Out-PCI-E-M5604/dp/B004574XRA/ref=sr_1_30?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502681457&sr=1-30&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6030981011

or you might be able to raid a pcie gpu from a thrown away computer..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

4 minutes ago, Changis said:

it does seem a little like the gpu artifacted and stopped working..
did you overclock the graphics card? did you stress test / benchmark the gpu before it crashed?
what temperatures does your computer reach? (cpu/gpu/case internal)

also, getting a gpu for testing isn't that expensive..

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-QUADRO-NVS285-DMS-59-CN-0DH261/dp/B071X6WDM9/ref=sr_1_23?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502681426&sr=1-23&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6030981011

https://www.amazon.com/ATI-Radeon-TV-Out-PCI-E-M5604/dp/B004574XRA/ref=sr_1_30?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502681457&sr=1-30&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6030981011

or you might be able to raid a pcie gpu from a thrown away computer..

Graphics card was never overclocked. Have been using the card for the last month, never reached above 60°c according to CAM software. Had played the game fine for 5 hours two days prior.

7 minutes ago, Nathaniel Vazquez said:

Graphics card was never overclocked. Have been using the card for the last month, never reached above 60°c according to CAM software. Had played the game fine for 5 hours two days prior.

might be faulty gpu..
test gpu in another computer / test your computer with a different gpu
smell the gpu (yes really) does it smell kinda pungent? (failed electrical smell) does the fan spin freely? (stopping in intervals is normal on fan motors, but there should only be a slight force difference (like waving a weak magnet infront of another weak magnet), if it seems to stick or makes a sound or even just feels loose, it might be a fan that failed..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

10 minutes ago, Changis said:

might be faulty gpu..
test gpu in another computer / test your computer with a different gpu
smell the gpu (yes really) does it smell kinda pungent? (failed electrical smell) does the fan spin freely? (stopping in intervals is normal on fan motors, but there should only be a slight force difference (like waving a weak magnet infront of another weak magnet), if it seems to stick or makes a sound or even just feels loose, it might be a fan that failed..

No smell and fan spins normally. Will have to wait on testing with different card since this is the only one I have currently. Only other pc in the house has a PSU that is too low wattage. If it helps at all, the LEDs in the motherboard show that bootdrive and you are "not detected or failed" according to mobo manual.

7 minutes ago, Nathaniel Vazquez said:

No smell and fan spins normally. Will have to wait on testing with different card since this is the only one I have currently. Only other pc in the house has a PSU that is too low wattage. If it helps at all, the LEDs in the motherboard show that bootdrive and you are "not detected or failed" according to mobo manual.

boot drive not being detected is most likely from resetting the cmos..
maybe you have a local computer shop where you can get it tested?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Changis said:

boot drive not being detected is most likely from resetting the cmos..
maybe you have a local computer shop where you can get it tested?

Think I might resort to that, which sucks since I start school tomorrow so I'd probably need the system for assignments 

6 minutes ago, Nathaniel Vazquez said:

Think I might resort to that, which sucks since I start school tomorrow so I'd probably need the system for assignments 

"my dog ate my computer.." might work :P

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler