System Repeatedly Restarting, RAM Slot 1 & 2 not operational, 3 & 4 working.

Hello LTT Community! While I'm not new to LTT, I've only now taken the time to complete my life and join the community! Though this completion hands in the balance... I broke my computer.

The problem started just as I put my computer together last November, using parts I recycled from my old AMD Rig. While newer chipsets were available, I opted not to go with the i7 6700K as I was waiting for Ryzen, and it was around £100-£150 cheaper to go with the i7-4790K instead as I was recycling the power supply, RAM, drives and cooling. I did the noobish thing possible and didn't test my system before assembling and of course had an issue; My computer would keep restarting 2 seconds after power-up. After troubleshooting such as pulling out the CMOS battery (and giving it a clean in my shirt as it was slightly dirty somehow), double checking all the power cables, testing another graphics card, taking that out, trying another ram kit and then finally, testing each ram slot individually. That's where I found the problem.

I soon discovered that any RAM in slot 1 & 2 would cause this issue to reappear, while 3 & 4 were both operational. My cooler was pressing on the RAM very slightly, so I repositioned it but still did not have an effect. At this point in time, I'm thinking it's a bad pin on the motherboard, though I would really like to explore other options as I would have to get some more thermal paste when I reinstall the CPU. While it's not an issue to get some, it's still the weekend and would love to see what you all think. 

Let's go crazy! (Don't hurt my baby).

System Specifications:

Spoiler

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz    33 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30) (its set to 1333MHZ at the moment, I need to put it back to 1866MHZ.
Motherboard
    MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917) (SOCKET 0)    32 °C
Graphics
    S27D850 (2560x1440@60Hz)
    8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (MSI)    37 °C

Storage
    238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SSD)    31 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0 (SATA)    34 °C

Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
Audio
    AMD High Definition Audio Device

Edited by Jordan W.K. White
Dictator Of Grammar

19 minutes ago, Jordan W.K. White said:

At this point in time, I'm thinking it's a bad pin on the motherboard

probably.

I had a similar issue (only 1 OR 3, 2 OR 4 worked) and I had a bent pin.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

probably.

I had a similar issue (only 1 OR 3, 2 OR 4 worked) and I had a bent pin.

That sucks! Hopefully it is that as while a bent pin sucks, I have had luck unbending pins before. If anyone else has any ideas, please do let me know!

1 minute ago, Jordan W.K. White said:

That sucks! Hopefully it is that as while a bent pin sucks, I have had luck unbending pins before. If anyone else has any ideas, please do let me know!

Just don't use a kitchen knife to try and unbend them.

a dead Z87 board sits in my room as a tribute to that life lesson.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

• 5 months later...
On 13/08/2017 at 6:46 AM, RadiatingLight said:

Just don't use a kitchen knife to try and unbend them.

a dead Z87 board sits in my room as a tribute to that life lesson.

Just an update to the situation; it's all fixed!

As I thought, it was a bent pin, annoyingly it was falltened deep into the socket and took about 30 mins of proding but the pin bent back thats for sure. All slots are now working, had an issue with #4 but reseating the ram fixed it. I would suggest everyone that can follow this route (bending them back) as I spoke with MSI and they quoted me £90 to fix it wheres the Pro Gamer 7 is just a little bit more, so you would be better off getting an upgrade if you trashed your board.

Thanks for the help RadiatingLight!