Windows 10 Background processes

NotAnAverageBo

Windows always has hundreds of background processes running. Which ones can the computer function without(bare minimum), and is there a program to stop the processes for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2 hours ago, NotAnAverageBo said:

Windows always has hundreds of background processes running. Which ones can the computer function without(bare minimum), and is there a program to stop the processes for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Most of them are services. You can see the services panel by typing "Services" in the start menu and picking it.

Technically speaking, everything from Windows itself is important. Disabling Windows services will either affect your experience, functionality, or security, all depending on the service we are talking about. They are things that you can perhaps disable if you don't use them, for example: SmartCard services, if yo don't have and don't plan to have a smart Card reader/writer (and if you ever do, be sure to enable it back, as if the installer doesn't enable it back, you may wonder why it doesn't work reading your card). Some public transport offers for purchase basic smart card reader for PCs to read their bus/metro card pass and fill it up with tickets that can be purchased, for example. Depending on the service, some programs may not be able to run if the service is disabled. Third party services are usually Auto-Updater disabling the service will prevent the program you have associated with the service from automatically updating, and it will be you that needs to check and update it manually.

The list of services is so long, I wont' go one by one.

But i can explain to you each service Start Type:

• Automatic. Runs all the time. Keep in mind that services are not background programs, they are event driven. They run, gets a registered event callback, and then execute its task.

• Automatic (Delayed Start). The service will run when the system startup all the time, but a bit later on. It will wait until everything is loaded and the system is mostly idle to start. It may run immediately if requested and it didn't start yet.

• Manual (Triggered). The service isn't running. It is waiting for a specified event to run it.

• Manual. The service isn't running. It will run upon request by a program/driver/system

• Disable. Does not run.

Some service can't disabled, if they are considered to be critical to the security of the platform.

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Thank you, I was aware of services and how to disable them, I was just looking to see which ones I could disable. As you noted, most are pretty critical to run, so I guess this is mute point anyhow. Given how many services there are and how unlikely it would be for anyone to have a list, this is the reason why I asked if there is a program to disable all not completely necessary processes for me. This is honestly more of an OCD issue anyway I realized, it wouldn't help system performance nearly at all. Thank you for your help :) I realized a little late that I should just put up with it anyway.