VFX + Gaming Build (Disability Budget)

Hey, all! I'll be buying these parts one or two at a time since I have a very fixed income (650/mo before bills) and my current build is from 2013 so I think "new prez, new build"

I chose the MicroATX form factor because I would like to move towards having a smaller desk and potentially having a display stand if I can mod the side panel to show off RGB breathing. The case has support for a 240mm radiator, so hey why not go there? I've decided that I'm going to take just one big hit with the GPU instead of 2 by getting 32GB and not 16GB of DDR4. Therein lies my current question.

Do I take a slightly bigger hit and get single 16GB sticks one at a time? or do I live with 16 total and enjoy dual channel speed and glory? I do a lot of VFX work for making viz for music videos and the like, so I WOULD like plenty of memory speed... I'm not sure. I think limiting myself to 16GB is not fantastic, but I also don't like the idea of limiting myself to single-channel for possibly more than a month.

Current build price is ~$800 USD which I believe I can pull off in chunk-by-chunk purchasing.

Edit: I'll be using my current power supply. it's a 750W seagate and it's only about a year old at this point due to a power surge. I'll also be providing an SSD and 3 mech drives until I can upgrade my SSD higher.

chrome_2017-08-11_05-28-37.png

Edited by NOYZBOT

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($215.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($126.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($294.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $769.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-12 19:14 EDT-0400

1) 1600x is basically a higher clocked 1600

2) Stock cooler is pretty good to be honest. Don't really need an AIO unless if you're planning and overclocking the cpu to it's limits.

3) The same motherboard, but with more dimm slots for a couple more bucks.

4) Mushkin is a spotty memory company in my opinion (friend had problems with mushkin products). Changed to G.Skill.

5) GTX 1060 6GB because it's better :^)

6) Case can be any case you wish to be. This one has tempered glass.

7) All from newegg because I assume you have some sort of reason to.

Current Build

Successful Builds

Spoiler
Spoiler

I don't need it to all be at newegg. I would really like to have the microATX form factor. Also, I really only picked the AIO because the 1600x doesn't come with a stock cooler and with microATX form and case, getting the heat out of the case is a pretty big priority. The GPU you selected is $60 more than the one I selected, which is far more than I can afford. I'm hoping the next series rumored to come out by the end of the year knock that down, so it'll likely be much later in this journey.

Also, on the CPU page on newegg, this popped up:

"I bought this chip and set it all up with an MSI B350 tomahawk AM4. The bios will not post. Upon further review the best 2 suggestions have been: Send the mobo to MSI to be updated or have someone with an R7 update the motherboard for me. This seems inconvenient and ridiculous. Does anyone know an alternative?"

That appears to be the same motherboard, and I don't know anyone with a Ryzen 7.

Otherwise, I appreciate the suggestions and will keep them in mind. I won't be moving forward until at very least late next month.

That motherboards core VRM isnt a great thing, it will work and it will probably survive overclocking a 1600, but I would get something with a better core VRM then it. (almost made a horrible joke here). I would get 16gb at a time, maybe you will find no need for more. Just make sure to get some of the faster stuff

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

48 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That motherboards core VRM isnt a great thing, it will work and it will probably survive overclocking a 1600, but I would get something with a better core VRM then it. (almost made a horrible joke here). I would get 16gb at a time, maybe you will find no need for more. Just make sure to get some of the faster stuff

Alright, I looked around (only using newegg because fatigue) and this Gigabyte uATX board looks really nice and is only 10 bucks more. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145003

Just now, Leshya said:

Don't get Gigabyte, they aren't great in comparison to ASRock for bios, general usability and VRM designs for overclocking.

then what motherboard company is even good right now?

2 minutes ago, Leshya said:

Look at my build above. For Intel, Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte. Ryzen just try to stick to Asus or ASRock.

oops! I didn't see that post. notifs only told me about the quoted one. and wow, thanks!I already have a modular 750w and I think I'm going to try padding out my ram 1 stick of 16gb at a time. aftereffects can really eat through RAM when it wants to, and with the 4 slots I can get up to 64GB instead of the 16GB I have in my current build across 4 sticks. I appreciate you sticking with the case I picked! I really like it! and if I feel the need to do sustained renders that might make the CPU hotter than the stock cooler can effectively manage, I'll grab a 240mm radiator after filling out my RAM slots. because heck. I'm already home, so go big!

Alright, so this is what I'm gonna go with. I've decided that 4x16 is a bit lofty, and 4x8 should suit me just fine. really want 64gb of ram tho... /shrug

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hGW3TH

h/t 2 @Leshya

This is going to be a fun journey.

(side-note: oddly, splitting up the ram into 2x2x8GB instead of 4x8GB reduced the price by 40 bucks :thinkemoji:)

8 hours ago, NOYZBOT said:

Alright, I looked around (only using newegg because fatigue) and this Gigabyte uATX board looks really nice and is only 10 bucks more. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145003

It's better, I wouldn't mind using it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016