Summer PC/First Build

balewis2

(Edited) Forgot GPU

Hey Guys,

So I have used the better part of this summer preparing to build my first PC with the mindset of upgrading this fall with Black Friday deals. I was railroaded through the end by unexpected bills, but my anxiousness (i believe that is a word) got the best of me where I couldn't wait any longer.  I want to know you guy's honest opinion of this build....go easy on me guys.

i5 7600k

msi B250 PC MATE

Corsair 300R

GTX 1060 3gb

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W,

Asgard Memory DDR4,Leorice Memory Ram 16GB (2 x 8gb)

2 Cryorig QF120

CoolerMaster Master Liquid 120 CPU Cooler

Don't get a 7600K! Get a Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 board. It's much better ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Looks good, but instead of a i5 processor, go for a RYZEN CPU.

Also no GPU?

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

Operating System Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, WAR Corporation said:

Also no GPU?

Sorry I forgot it. GTX 1060 3GB

Very bad. Unlocked CPU with a B250 chipset? Waste of money. GTX 1060 3GB is trash, not really worth buying IMO unless it's a good bit less expensive than the 6GB variant and you can't find any AMD GPU anywhere. Still, I'd recommend a used GTX 970/980 or R9 390(x) over a 3GB GTX 1060. 

As for whether Ryzen makes more sense or not is entirely up to what you use your system for. Although, I wouldn't be buying Kaby Lake, that's for sure. Coffee Lake is 10 days away.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

16 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

Still, I'd recommend a used GTX 970/980 or R9 390(x) over a 3GB GTX 1060. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/2577vs3646

The GTX 1060 3GB is not "trash" as you call it, if you are on a strict budget.

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, WAR Corporation said:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/2577vs3646

The GTX 1060 3GB is not "trash" as you call it, if you are on a strict budget.

Are you seriously trying to use "GPU UserBenchmark" as a source? Laughable. The 3GB GTX 1060 is trash.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

Just now, Sanctorum said:

Are you seriously trying to use "GPU UserBenchmark" as a source? Laughable. The 3GB GTX 1060 is trash.

Yes I am because some tech youtubers do actually recommend it. Don't believe me? Just watch some videos about comparisons between the 970 and 1060 3GB. The 1060 is not that far off.

4 minutes ago, WAR Corporation said:

Yes I am because some tech youtubers do actually recommend it. Don't believe me? Just watch some videos about comparisons between the 970 and 1060 3GB. The 1060 is not that far off.

What "some tech youtubers" do is absolutely irrelevant. GPU User Benchmark is not a legitimate, or accurate source. The 3GB GTX 1060 looks worse than the GTX 970 in plenty of games due to the lower VRAM limiting textures. A used GTX 970 is also cheaper since the 3GB GTX 1060 is stupid overpriced. Again, 3GB 1060 is trash.

3 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

What "some tech youtubers" do is absolutely irrelevant. GPU User Benchmark is not a legitimate, or accurate source. The 3GB GTX 1060 looks worse than the GTX 970 in plenty of games due to the lower VRAM limiting textures. A used GTX 970 is also cheaper since the 3GB GTX 1060 is stupid overpriced. Again, 3GB 1060 is trash.

I said "The GTX 1060 3GB is not that far off". But alright, everyone has an opinion and I respect that.

2 hours ago, Sanctorum said:

Very bad. Unlocked CPU with a B250 chipset? Waste of money. GTX 1060 3GB is trash, not really worth buying IMO unless it's a good bit less expensive than the 6GB variant and you can't find any AMD GPU anywhere. Still, I'd recommend a used GTX 970/980 or R9 390(x) over a 3GB GTX 1060. 

As for whether Ryzen makes more sense or not is entirely up to what you use your system for. Although, I wouldn't be buying Kaby Lake, that's for sure. Coffee Lake is 10 days away.

I get it and I do respect your opinion and help.

I'm honestly not looking to overclock much but I am interested in the tinkering of things and trying new things out, so eventually I will update both CPU and mobo. In regards to the GPU, I did mention that this was more or less temporary with the exception of the case, ssd, cpu and mobo (somewhat temp), and I fully expect to be moving to a 1070 in the fall, and maybe looking into the Coffelake after some months of crowd testing . 

Although I do respect your statements, I don't believe the GTX 3gb is as "trash" as those statements try to prove. For the tasks and gaming that I want to do in the mean time I believe this will do fine for me. 

3 hours ago, WAR Corporation said:

Also no GPU?

Thanks for the advice

7 minutes ago, balewis2 said:

Thanks for the advice

What's your budget? 

2 minutes ago, Shura said:

What's your budget? 

At the moment it was $850

Just now, balewis2 said:

At the moment it was $850

Will you be reusing any parts from a current PC or all new? 

i like the case,cpu cooler, storage, and I am actually liking the i5 7600k. I got it for $190 and it has me impressed. Although im coming from a i5 2320 so it didn't take much to impress me.

12 minutes ago, balewis2 said:

I'm honestly not looking to overclock much but I am interested in the tinkering of things and trying new things out, so eventually I will update both CPU and mobo.

It doesn't make sense to buy an unlocked i5 with a cheap, non overclockable motherboard and expect to upgrade both CPU and Mobo soon. You can afford an unlocked CPU and an overclockable mobo now so why shoot yourself in the foot. Get an R5 1600 with a B350 mobo and you can overclock whenever if you decide you want to.

14 minutes ago, balewis2 said:

In regards to the GPU, I did mention that this was more or less temporary with the exception of the case, ssd, cpu and mobo (somewhat temp), and I fully expect to be moving to a 1070 in the fall, and maybe looking into the Coffelake after some months of crowd testing . 

Again, this makes no sense. You don't build a Kaby Lake system 10 days before Coffee Lake launches and expect to upgrade to Coffee Lake, it's just a waste of money and won't work out as you plan anyway and you'll just have a weird, mismatched system.

15 minutes ago, balewis2 said:

I don't believe the GTX 3gb is as "trash" as those statements try to prove.

It is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($126.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($269.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($11.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $842.30

$10 less than what you were originally looking at but it has a better case, better fans, better GPU, and better/faster RAM. Also a motherboard and CPU that make sense together. Although, you're aware you're missing storage, right?

3 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

It doesn't make sense to buy an unlocked i5 with a cheap, non overclockable motherboard and expect to upgrade both CPU and Mobo soon. You can afford an unlocked CPU and an overclockable mobo now so why shoot yourself in the foot. Get an R5 1600 with a B350 mobo and you can overclock whenever if you decide you want to.

Again, this makes no sense. You don't build a Kaby Lake system 10 days before Coffee Lake launches and expect to upgrade to Coffee Lake, it's just a waste of money and won't work out as you plan anyway and you'll just have a weird, mismatched system.

It is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($126.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($269.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $842.30

$10 less than what you were originally looking at but it has a better case, better fans, better GPU, and better/faster RAM. Also a motherboard and CPU that make sense together. Although, you're aware you're missing storage, right?

I haven't forgotten about my storage, I'm just carrying it over from my old PC since I recently bought a new 3tb HD

Maybe I should've clarified in the beginning, but I now own the parts in my original list. The reason for this posting is to help me in the future, so with that being said, I do appreciate this list and advice. 

53 minutes ago, balewis2 said:

I haven't forgotten about my storage, I'm just carrying it over from my old PC since I recently bought a new 3tb HD

Maybe I should've clarified in the beginning, but I now own the parts in my original list. The reason for this posting is to help me in the future, so with that being said, I do appreciate this list and advice. 

Ah If you already own the parts, then it can't be helped. The system will work but some of the parts are poorly matched and will effect potential; For example the 7600k is an unlocked CPU but the B250 is a locked motherboard so you lose the potential gained from an unlocked board. 

Everything else is fine, if you are still within your 30day return period then highly suggest you return the CPU and motherboard for R5 1600 and B350m board but if you aren't, it's not the end of the build. Think of it as a learning lesson and enjoy the build since you'll be fine maxing out current games at 1080p

3 hours ago, Shura said:

Ah If you already own the parts, then it can't be helped. The system will work but some of the parts are poorly matched and will effect potential; For example the 7600k is an unlocked CPU but the B250 is a locked motherboard so you lose the potential gained from an unlocked board. 

Everything else is fine, if you are still within your 30day return period then highly suggest you return the CPU and motherboard for R5 1600 and B350m board but if you aren't, it's not the end of the build. Think of it as a learning lesson and enjoy the build since you'll be fine maxing out current games at 1080p

Thanks, lesson learned