Alternative to HyperX Cloud

johndms

I'm looking for a headset used mostly to play Overwatch.  I've seen many recommend the HyperX Cloud brand, but also just as many who strongly object.  The Revolver series seem to be very popular among Pro Overwatch players, but I'd like to see what those in the LTT community have to say.

I was initially very impressed with the Philips SHP9500(s) with V-MODA BoomPro combo.. however, I'm not a fan of the open back.  I'm not in favor of people around me listening in while I'm fragging out in Overwatch or relaxing to some Chili Peppers at work.  Out of curiosity, how much of the sound can be heard by others?  Does the mic not pick up this sound?

Budget: $50-$100 USD

Closed back

Over ear

Microphone needed (or detachable cable capable of supporting BoomPro)

Would rather not have USB, but not totally against.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

HyperX Cloud II :D 

For games like OV and CS GO ware sound is key. the 7.1 realy helps 

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

3 minutes ago, Swealteek said:

Beat me to it. I was gonna say the exact same thing. xD

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Thats becus of the cloud 2 :P "whit its low refresh rate." 

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

3 minutes ago, Swealteek said:

Thats becus of the cloud 2 :P "whit its low refresh rate." 

I'm fairly sure the OP wants a recommendation that isn't part of the HyperX Cloud brand.

14 minutes ago, Swealteek said:

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I'm seeking alternatives to anything involving HyperX Cloud.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

5 minutes ago, johndms said:

I'm seeking alternatives to anything involving HyperX Cloud.

I have these (got them for $5, so who am I to complain?): https://www.amazon.com/KingTop-Headset-Headphone-Isolation-Microphone/dp/B01N06SPV2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502487451&sr=8-2&keywords=kingtop, so I'm not the one to go to for headphone advice. (I also bought Beats, so...)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Your best bet for gaming closed-backs under $100 is probably to find a used pair of detachable cable modded DT770's or K553's. There are some other good sub-$100 closed backs that would normally be recommended, but most of them have a pretty flat stage not ideal for gaming; the Takstars/Clouds are above average in this regard, at least for budget closed-backs.

How much sound open backs leak is completely up to how loud you play them; on a true open back the sound pointed at your ears and the sound going out will be the same volume. It's roughly as loud as closed backs when they're not on your head, but a bit more directional. Unless you're playing music at unsafe levels or have your microphone gain high, you shouldn't have any problems there. I probably wouldn't use open backs at work more because they block zero outside noise rather than worrying about other people hearing me. In a very quiet environment it's possible to be perfectly happy playing music so quietly that others would have to press their ears up to the outsides of your headphones to notice anything is playing, but with any sort of outside noise you tend to try raising the volume to drown it out...

If you do end up getting HyperX Clouds, save some money and get refurbished Cloud Cores for $40. They're physically the same headphones as the Cloud II's but come with a 3.5mm extension cable instead of a USB "7.1" dongle (using the dongle isn't recommended anyhow), don't come with velour earpads (which you shouldn't use), and a slightly worse mic (sounds nicer subjectively but picks up more background noise).

1 hour ago, johndms said:

I'm looking for a headset used mostly to play Overwatch.  I've seen many recommend the HyperX Cloud brand, but also just as many who strongly object.  The Revolver series seem to be very popular among Pro Overwatch players, but I'd like to see what those in the LTT community have to say.

I was initially very impressed with the Philips SHP9500(s) with V-MODA BoomPro combo.. however, I'm not a fan of the open back.  I'm not in favor of people around me listening in while I'm fragging out in Overwatch or relaxing to some Chili Peppers at work.  Out of curiosity, how much of the sound can be heard by others?  Does the mic not pick up this sound?

Budget: $50-$100 USD

Closed back

Over ear

Microphone needed (or detachable cable capable of supporting BoomPro)

Would rather not have USB, but not totally against.

Like someone else said. 7.1 helps, but I use v-moda crossfades. They're great headphones for all uses, and are reasonably cheap for what you get. For longer gaming sessions I'd recommend the thicker pads you can buy additionally

12 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

How much sound open backs leak is completely up to how loud you play them; on a true open back the sound pointed at your ears and the sound going out will be the same volume.

I did a bit more research and agree with your opinion.  It seems one can lay their closed back headphones on their desk while playing music at a typical volume, and that's what one could expect from most open back headpones.  I was under the impression it'd be like a boombox on my shoulder (I'm an 80s kid), lol.  I'm now back to my original idea of using the open back SHP9500 with BoomPro.