Can I trust Biostar? (X370GTN)

Go to solution Solved by Jon Jon,
1 minute ago, Gursel said:

Oh crap, I don’t know what to do now, I needed an Itx motherboard for my build with NZXT Manta and now I'm feeling like I need to do more research. Even though I heard some people are making positive comments on the brand on other forums and websites, I can't trust the brand, because even one single person complaining about the products are making me nervous about purchasing it. Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Honestly, I stick with ASUS and ASRock for everything now.

I used Gigabyte for a few builds in the passed and felt meh about that.

My first gaming PC ran on a high end MSI board that started giving me grief after a while.

Granted, those instances are from 5-10 years ago, including the Biostar issue I had.

I can say that my ASRock board has been rock solid for the last 5 years, and that's with me maxing out the RAM slots and using 3 of the expansion ports (my R9 380, a PCI ASUS Xonar Essense ST Sound Card, and an Elgato HD60Pro in the PCI-E 1x slot).

Hello, I have a Ryzen 5 1600 processor and I need a motherboard. I need it to be an Itx motherboard to fit in my case and I found a motherboard called “Biostar X370GTN”. I haven’t heard anything of them until I have researched for Itx AM4 motherboards. Can someone who have used or heard of this company help me on if I can trust to this product or not. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with their newer product, but I have a Biostar TH61-ITX from 2012 running as a second PC and it still works find today.

Biostar burned me years ago with my old AMD Phenom II X4 965 build.

It started corrupting any data coming in via network.

Even with an expansion NIC installed, even with a Windows reinstall, for whatever reason I could NOT write data to my HDDs without it being instantly corrupted.

I had never seen that issue before, or since.

That's actually what prompted me to migrate to my current Core i5 3570 build on an AsRock motherboard. Same hardware on the new board, no issues since.

I'll never buy Biostar again :)

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Just now, Jon Jon said:

Biostar burned me years ago with my old AMD Phenom II X4 965 build.

It started corrupting any data coming in via network.

Even with an expansion NIC installed, even with a Windows reinstall, for whatever reason I could NOT write data to my HDDs without it being instantly corrupted.

I had never seen that issue before, or since.

That's actually what prompted me to migrate to my current Core i5 3570 build on an AsRock motherboard. Same hardware on the new board, no issues since.

I'll never buy Biostar again :)

Oh crap, I don’t know what to do now, I needed an Itx motherboard for my build with NZXT Manta and now I'm feeling like I need to do more research. Even though I heard some people are making positive comments on the brand on other forums and websites, I can't trust the brand, because even one single person complaining about the products are making me nervous about purchasing it. Thank you and I appreciate your help.

2 minutes ago, Gursel said:

The ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac is a nice AM4 ITX board with AC wireless, but it's a little more expensive than the biostar one. But if you're fine with B350 the GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI should be cheaper than the ASROCK one.

Do more research, try to reach out to people who have similar or the same Biostar product you have. What I've usually done on sites like Amazon is ask questions about the product, and usually people who have bought it will answer pretty quickly. At least, that's been my experience with it. I think by now they have a pretty solid product despite the fact that I've usually shied away from them. Give it a try and see what happens.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Honestly, I stick with ASUS and ASRock for everything now.

I used Gigabyte for a few builds in the passed and felt meh about that.

My first gaming PC ran on a high end MSI board that started giving me grief after a while.

Granted, those instances are from 5-10 years ago, including the Biostar issue I had.

I can say that my ASRock board has been rock solid for the last 5 years, and that's with me maxing out the RAM slots and using 3 of the expansion ports (my R9 380, a PCI ASUS Xonar Essense ST Sound Card, and an Elgato HD60Pro in the PCI-E 1x slot).

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

39 minutes ago, kukrimate said:

The ASROCK Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac is a nice AM4 ITX board with AC wireless, but it's a little more expensive than the biostar one. But if you're fine with B350 the GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI should be cheaper than the ASROCK one.

I do not have Gigabyte GA-AB350N in my country, I saw it and I was thinking to ship it from US, then I realized that I won't have the warranity. I also noticed that AS-Rock X370 listed but as you said it is more expensive than the others. I will dig deeper and list all the options that I have, thank you for your help.

I've used boards from all of the manufacturers, read reviews for whichever specific board you are considering. Particularly with Ryzen there have been BIOS issues, make sure the board vendor is responding quickly with BIOS updates to resolve issues. With ITX you want to pay attention to reports of heat issues and select a board that has all of the ports/features that you desire.

As for BIOSTAR, my last experience with them was for an AMD FX based system. The board was very thin and flexed easily. It worked perfectly but I had to be careful to avoid flexing the board too much when installing cables and a heatsink. Regardless of vendor they all sell the occasional lemon. The last "bad" board I got came from MSI and was an FM3+ board that had bad memory sockets. ASRock, Asus, and Gigabyte have been the most reliable in my experience. I'm currently building a system with an MSI board (Mortar Arctic B350M, MATX.) My other 2 (older) AMD systems right now are running ASRock boards.

You can. I think @Damascus has one, and it's pretty good. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I would get the asrock board, the Gigabyte ones throttle.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious