ML140PRO fans as case fans?

Klovnious

Hey guys.

Currently working on my system, and I thought I should replace the stock fans from the Corsair 750D case I got.

Trying to figure out what I fans I should use to get the optimal airflow in my case, are the ML140 Pros any good as a case fan?

What else should I check out for case fans?

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

ML140s are ok, I will however make the usual "NOCTUA!!!" suggestion.  Beyond that the noise killers look great.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I recently bought a pair of ML140 pro as front case fans. If you don't mind the noise they make at around 2000rpm (not that they are industrial-level noisy), they have a really good airflow even with a fan filter in front. at lower speeds (mine operate at around 1400 or lower normally) they are virtually silent, while keeping a high airflow

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

Very good fans if you controll the rpm correctly.

They are dead silent below ~800 rpm but sound like a leafblower at full speed.

Here is a list of just about every case fan on the market in rank order of airflow/noise.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/5770/7/103-12cm-case-fans-review-test-results-highest-efficiency

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

46 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

I recently bought a pair of ML140 pro as front case fans. If you don't mind the noise they make at around 2000rpm (not that they are industrial-level noisy), they have a really good airflow even with a fan filter in front. at lower speeds (mine operate at around 1400 or lower normally) they are virtually silent, while keeping a high airflow

Forgot to mention I already have some ML120's and a blue 140 as an exhaust fan, that I bought for my old H100, which sadly short circuited when I turned it on.

Then I'll just order some more red 140s I think, as you say they are not that noisy. (Damn shame I decided I want a red led themed build after I bought the blue ones)

12 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Here is a list of just about every case fan on the market in rank order of airflow/noise.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/5770/7/103-12cm-case-fans-review-test-results-highest-efficiency

Doesn't have the ML series in it, but thanks anyway!

I'll just go for the ML140's, it seems like a good choice. 

One thing I can't remember (haven't used my blue ones in this new case), can I turn off the LED light? or is it constantly on?

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

1 minute ago, Klovnious said:

Forgot to mention I already have some ML120's and a blue 140 as an exhaust fan, that I bought for my old H100, which sadly short circuited when I turned it on.

Then I'll just order some more red 140s I think, as you say they are not that noisy. (Damn shame I decided I want a red led themed build after I bought the blue ones)

Doesn't have the ML series in it, but thanks anyway!

I'll just go for the ML140's, it seems like a good choice. 

One thing I can't remember (haven't used my blue ones in this new case), can I turn off the LED light? or is it constantly on?

Oh, sorry, theres also a 140mm fan comparison on the same site (also doesn't have ml series). Anyway, heres a link to some performance of the ml140s:

https://us.hardware.info/product/351613/corsair-ml140-pro-led-white/testresults

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Good write up here:

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/29/corsair-ml140-pro-140-mm-fan/

Sounds like they're good but too expensive, although the non Pro versions (no LED) in a dual pack are really good value.  Here in the UK I can get the dual pack of ML140 non Pros for just one pound more than a single white LED ML140 Pro.

15 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

Good write up here:

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/29/corsair-ml140-pro-140-mm-fan/

Sounds like they're good but too expensive, although the non Pro versions (no LED) in a dual pack are really good value.  Here in the UK I can get the dual pack of ML140 non Pros for just one pound more than a single white LED ML140 Pro.

Seconded, the ML's are really expensive for the value they deliver. THe high end SP/AF fans do nearly are well for more than 1/2 the price where I live.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

17 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Seconded, the ML's are really expensive for the value they deliver. THe high end SP/AF fans do nearly are well for more than 1/2 the price where I live.

No, no, no, you've read what I said completely wrong!  The AF/SP series fans are terrible IMO, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless they were deaf.  They sound awful and are just not good fans, objectively.  The MLs are much better value than the AF/SP series as they are just much better fans.  I own 2 SP120 Quiet Edition fans and am returning them right now, as they are so bad.  I only bought them because they were relatively cheap at the time, but now I know why.

Right now, two SP120s, in a dual pack, costs £30 in the UK.  Two ML120s (non Pro) or ML140s (non Pro), in a dual pack, costs £24.  The ML fans are objectively better in every regard than the SPs, but are also cheaper right now, if you don't mind no LEDs and no anti-vibration mounts.  For reference - I just bought 2x Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140 fans for my build, and they were £20 for the pair delivered.  The SPs just aren't objectively good at anything they do I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, thedons1983 said:

No, no, no, you've read what I said completely wrong!  The AF/SP series fans are terrible IMO, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless they were deaf.  They sound awful and are just not good fans, objectively.  The MLs are much better value than the AF/SP series as they are just much better fans.  I own 2 SP120 Quiet Edition fans and am returning them right now, as they are so bad.  I only bought them because they were relatively cheap at the time, but now I know why.

Right now, two SP120s, in a dual pack, costs £30 in the UK.  Two ML120s (non Pro) or ML140s (non Pro), in a dual pack, costs £24.  The ML fans are objectively better in every regard than the SPs, but are also cheaper right now, if you don't mind no LEDs and no anti-vibration mounts.  For reference - I just bought 2x Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140 fans for my build, and they were £20 for the pair delivered.  The SPs just aren't objectively good at anything they do I'm afraid.

Okay, sorry. I thought pricing was different where I live from a precursory glance, but on a closer look I was wrong. Also thankyou for taking the time to write this, as I was about to order 4x SP120 quiet editions.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

19 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Okay, sorry. I thought pricing was different where I live from a precursory glance, but on a closer look I was wrong. Also thankyou for taking the time to write this, as I was about to order 4x SP120 quiet editions.

No worries... Fan pricing is an absolute nightmare to work out sometimes!  I'm happy that I dissuaded you from the SPs though, as they are just not very nice.  Not terrible, but not that great either IMO.

If you're interested in alternatives, please check out:

http://thermalbench.com/

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6622/tested-71-case-fans-of-140-mm-round-up-big-fans

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

The MLs by the way are very good IMO, but there are better fans in existence, and it's all to do with what you're willing to pay for the relative quality you will get back.  Here's a review of the MLs for reference

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/

I just bought two of these

http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/449

I will use them as intake fans on an NZXT S340 Elite.  They were £20 for both, and are arguably much better fans than the SP120s, which cost £30 for two fans.  I did consider the MLs (non Pro), but I run all my case fans at a constant RPM, so have no need for the PWM function and hign RPM specification that they have.