How do I disable auto updates for my games on steam?

Theminecraftaddict555

I have some games where mods will break if they are updated *cough* arma 3 and gta v *cough*. So I'm wondering if there is any way on steam to turn off auto updates?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Not sure, I know you can limit it by time and speed. You could yet it to a tiny time window and 16kbs speed. That should make it almost impossible for a game to update. 

9 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I have some games where mods will break if they are updated *cough* arma 3 and gta v *cough*. So I'm wondering if there is any way on steam to turn off auto updates?

Nope. In a lot of cases, Steam will not even let you run a game while it has updates available. The most you can do is change Steam's settings to only update when you launch the game, as seen below.

yes.PNG.67415067c6d219f8360539ac752a3f5b.PNG

Doing this will allow you to play the games on older versions while in offline mode only, where it can't check for updates.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

8 hours ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Nope. In a lot of cases, Steam will not even let you run a game while it has updates available. The most you can do is change Steam's settings to only update when you launch the game, as seen below.

yes.PNG.67415067c6d219f8360539ac752a3f5b.PNG

Doing this will allow you to play the games on older versions while in offline mode only, where it can't check for updates.

Wait, does steam have an offline mode that i can use?

8 hours ago, Pample said:

Not sure, I know you can limit it by time and speed. You could yet it to a tiny time window and 16kbs speed. That should make it almost impossible for a game to update. 

Where can you do that?

1 hour ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Wait, does steam have an offline mode that i can use?

https://www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

9 hours ago, Pample said:

This would also make the game impossible to play since Steam in Valve's infinite wisdom often requires updating if an update is available before letting you play a game.

25 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

This would also make the game impossible to play since Steam in Valve's infinite wisdom often requires updating if an update is available before letting you play a game.

All i did was click the steam tab and "go offline" option...Would that work? Also i made it so that arma 3 can only update if i click on it. So if it does update, chances are its my fault that i updated and not steam's fault?

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

All i did was click the steam tab and "go offline" option...Would that work?

It should work

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Also i made it so that arma 3 can only update if i click on it. So if it does update, chances are its my fault that i updated and not steam's fault?

Well considering the assumption Steam doesn't let you play a game until its updated if an update is available, I can't say it's your fault at all.

For offline mode steam will only work for a certain period of time, and then you will need to connect to the internet to continue playing.

13 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

For offline mode steam will only work for a certain period of time, and then you will need to connect to the internet to continue playing.

If you need to play certain online games, but tbh i don't see myself as an online gamer but a single player gamer.

I think that it does it for all games because it is how they keep DRM up to date.

4 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

All i did was click the steam tab and "go offline" option...Would that work?

If the Steam client already knows there's an update available, it won't let you launch the game even in offline mode until the update is complete.

It's something I've had to struggle with frequently when I take my laptop into work on the weekend.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H