Need advice on setting up small studio NAS setup

jigsawe

Hello, 

I am setting up a small 3d studio with 4~6 people. 

I am thinking of using a NAS and all artists working directly off of the NAS. I am thinking of the Synology DS1817 with 10gb connection, with a  ASUS XG-U2008 that has 2 10gb ports and 8 1gb ports.

The artists pcs would connect via 1gb connection, with the Synology connected via 10gb and a main work pc also connected  via 10gb. 

I was wondering if this setup would be efficient, and if the 1gb connections would be not too slow for the artists to be constantly reading/writing. Or is it worth it to invest in a full on 10gb connection?

Thanks!

Artists need more than 1gbps network you need to get 10 Gbps for all of them

I have a gigabit connection = 125 Mbps and it takes ages to load big .max file and save them

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Artists need more than 1gbps network you need to get 10 Gbps for all of them

I have a gigabit connection = 125 Mbps and it takes ages to load big .max file and save them

Get an 8 port 10 gigabit so you will connect one of the ports to your gigabit switch (you whould need another one for your WiFi ap and other stuff like networked printers) another one for the nas and the remaining for the workstations

And if you get slaves in the future you can connect them to the gigabit they don't need too much bandwidth

27 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Build a nas yourself and get a 10gbps card

Suggest you run freenas with raid 5

Another option (the option I will do) is that I will get the single socket 32core 64 thread CPU server (which am sure it will support hard raid 5) and I will also use it as a render slave at the same time

So its like am paying for only the drives since I need the render slave

2 in 1

BTW welcome to the forum

Am interested in your project since I will be doing something similar. Pls post updates from the finished thing and benchmarks

If you need any help or advice fell free to tag, quote or pm me

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Another option (the option I will do) is that I will get the single socket 32core 64 thread CPU server (which am sure it will support hard raid 5) and I will also use it as a render slave at the same time

So its like am paying for only the drives since I need the render slave

2 in 1

Ahh forgot one thing

You can also go zfs but you cant add drives latter on which is what I plan so I dropped than idea. But you can still replace the drives with bigger ones

6 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

Ahh forgot one thing

You can also go zfs but you cant add drives latter on which is what I plan so I dropped than idea. But you can still replace the drives with bigger ones

what kind of 10gbps cards would u use on the workstations? and what kind of switch would u use? im looking for a cost effective solution

6 hours ago, jigsawe said:

what kind of 10gbps cards would u use on the workstations? and what kind of switch would u use? im looking for a cost effective solution

Where are you from?

So I can check what you can get