CPU Upgrade

I am planning to upgrade to either the i5 4690k or the i7 4770k which one is more worth the upgrade?

In terms of gaming and longevity (I don't plan to upgrade my pc for a long time after)

I have a GXT 970 btw.

What CPU do you have now? The only way buying a socket 1150 CPU today would make sense is to replace a lower end CPU in your system if you already have a 1150 socket.

Just now, Vespertine said:

The i7 4770k would be the better choice due to the extra 4 cores.

4 threads*

But yes it would be the better option. assuming that you already have a socket 1150 board.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Also, if you choose to upgrade, a 4690K or 4790K would probably be a better choice due to the higher clock speed. I used to have a 4790K, it was a really great CPU.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

4 threads*

But yes it would be the better option. assuming that you already have a socket 1150 board.

same thing but ok

same thing but ok

They're really not but ok.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

The i7 4770k would be the better choice due to the extra 4 cores.

Both CPUs have 4 cores, unless you mean threads.

2 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

same thing but ok

Actually not the same thing. Cores are physical and threads are virtual, but OK.

It doesn't have 4 extra cores. Get the i5 if you want to game, and the i7 if you do content creation. If the price is close, get the i7.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, lexidobe said:

Actually not the same thing. Cores are physical and threads are virtual, but OK.

not really virtual if they exist on the chip.

Just now, BWLServers said:

It doesn't have 4 extra cores. Get the i5 if you want to game, and the i7 if you do content creation. If the price is close, get the i7.

yes it does the workload is split into 2 cores on each core therefore being four extra cores, why do you think they are regarded as logical cores.

1 minute ago, Vespertine said:

Cores exist on the chip, threads don't exist on the chip.

Just now, lexidobe said:

Cores exist on the chip, threads don't.

which type of cores are you talking about, logical, or physical.

yes it does the workload is split into 2 cores on each core therefore being four extra cores, why do you think they are regarded as logical cores.

You just back tracked on yourself. they don't exist on the chip BECAUSE they're "logical" cores. if they existed on the chip, they'd be counted as physical cores.

Also 4 cores/8 threads doesn't match outright 8 core performance.

Just now, RKRiley said:

You just back tracked on yourself. they don't exist on the chip BECAUSE they're "logical" cores. if they existed on the chip, they'd be counted as physical cores.

Also 4 cores/8 threads doesn't match outright 8 core performance.

yes of course because a lot of programs don't benefit from threads.

yes of course because a lot of programs don't benefit from threads.

Look at programs like cinebench and winrar that do benefit from threads, the 4770k doesn't give 2x performance of the 4690k.

Just now, RKRiley said:

the 4770k doesn't give 2x performance of the 4690k.

what who said that.

what who said that.

Well you're saying that cores and threads are the same thing, so based on that theory the 4770k would be able to give double performance of the 4690k, which it does not.

It was to prove a point.

3 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

what who said that.

The core i5 scores about 2/3 to 3/4 as well as the i7.

18 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

What CPU do you have now? The only way buying a socket 1150 CPU today would make sense is to replace a lower end CPU in your system if you already have a 1150 socket.

I have an intel Pentium g3258 @4.2 GHz

1 minute ago, BestSpeling said:

Yes, I have a 1150 socket

Ok, what chipset do you have? CPU do you have?

Just now, BestSpeling said:

Yes, I have a 1150 socket

4770K hands down. 4790K is even better. Even the non-K variants are good if you don't have a Z87/Z97 based board.

I switched from a 4670K myself a couple months ago and haven't regretted it once. Games that are able to take advantage of the i7 (like the Witcher 3 or Ghost Recon Wildlands for example) run much smoother overall.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.