windows 10 got screwed on my laptop

NSDUO

ive been having a lot of issues with my windows 10 laptop. everything on my desktop disappeared. edge is behaving weird. i had to switch to firefox. my itunes logo disappears whenever i pin it to my taskbar but its fine in the start menu. and a lot more. any solutions? ive been thinking about clicking fresh start in windows defender but i dont want my office activation to go away.

Just now, coop152 said:

What version of Office? How did you buy it?

thru my moms microsoft home use. 2016

1 minute ago, NSDUO said:

thru my moms microsoft home use. 2016

So can't you just ask for the key?

*edit* Or if it's digital it should be linked to an MS account, so just sign in.

1 minute ago, coop152 said:

So can't you just ask for the key?

*edit* Or if it's digital it should be linked to an MS account, so just sign in.

yea its linked to my ms account

will clicking fresh start fix most of my issues?

Just now, NSDUO said:

will clicking fresh start fix most of my issues?

This just sounds like windows being windows so it should help. It might be a good idea to put your files on google drive or something just in case it deletes them.

Just now, NSDUO said:

yea its linked to my ms account

So you can just sign in after you use fresh start and re-download it. You should be fine.

Just now, coop152 said:

This just sounds like windows being windows so it should help. It might be a good idea to put your files on google drive or something just in case it deletes them.

So you can just sign in after you use fresh start and re-download it. You should be fine.

is there a way to get my desktop back without going thru all the hassle? i dont really care about edge and everything else is minor. i dont want to lose my steam saves.

1 minute ago, NSDUO said:

is there a way to get my desktop back without going thru all the hassle? i dont really care about edge and everything else is minor. i dont want to lose my steam saves.

Google where all of the saves are for your games and back them up to google drive or an external hard drive. Take note of where the saves were and copy them after you reset.

If you have a large external hard drive you can also copy your whole steam folder so you don't need to re-download games.

To keep your desktop just copy the Desktop folder to somewhere else and overwrite the blank desktop after the reset. As for programs, fresh start makes a list of uninstalled programs on the desktop so you can just reinstall them.

Windows 10 comes with Edge. If you mean your bookmarks and settings then just google where they are stored and do the same as with your steam saves.

10 minutes ago, coop152 said:

Google where all of the saves are for your games and back them up to google drive or an external hard drive. Take note of where the saves were and copy them after you reset.

If you have a large external hard drive you can also copy your whole steam folder so you don't need to re-download games.

To keep your desktop just copy the Desktop folder to somewhere else and overwrite the blank desktop after the reset. As for programs, fresh start makes a list of uninstalled programs on the desktop so you can just reinstall them.

Windows 10 comes with Edge. If you mean your bookmarks and settings then just google where they are stored and do the same as with your steam saves.

what i mean is that my desktop is full of shortcuts folders but it all disappeared but when i go into explorer and click desktop they are all there. and im getting really bad battery life for a xps 15 9560 just a few months old. the gtx 1050 isnt even active. if you look in the corner im getting terrible results. and itunes has no logo for some reason even after i reinstall it.

Just now, NSDUO said:

what i mean is that my desktop is full of shortcuts folders but it all disappeared but when i go into explorer and click desktop they are all there. and im getting really bad battery life for a xps 15 9560 just a few months old. the gtx 1050 isnt even active. if you look in the corner im getting terrible results. and itunes has no logo for some reason even after i reinstall it.

1. Right click on the desktop, go to view>Show desktop icons and tick it.

2. Turn down your brightness to 50% and use the power saving preset in power options. That is how battery life is tested in reviews, max brightness eats battery fast.

3. If you mean that the gtx 1050 isn't being used, go into Nvidia control panel, open "Manage 3D settings" and set preferred graphics processor to High-Performance.

4. Delete the old shortcut before reinstalling Itunes, and if that doesn't work open the shortcut's properties and change the icon manually by navigating to the Itunes exe file.

1 minute ago, coop152 said:

1. Right click on the desktop, go to view>Show desktop icons and tick it.

2. Turn down your brightness to 50% and use the power saving preset in power options. That is how battery life is tested in reviews, max brightness eats battery fast.

3. If you mean that the gtx 1050 isn't being used, go into Nvidia control panel, open "Manage 3D settings" and set preferred graphics processor to High-Performance.

4. Delete the old shortcut before reinstalling Itunes, and if that doesn't work open the shortcut's properties and change the icon manually by navigating to the Itunes exe file.

thanks