Port Forwarding Issues - HELP

rogvid700
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
6 minutes ago, rogvid700 said:

-snip-

Well unfortunately that confirms what I thought.

Your carrier is using what's known as CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) and is essentially a double NAT where you get natted to an address and then that address gets natted again. It's supposed to prevent IPv4 address depletion but really is just a way for an ISP to be lazy and not migrate to IPv6. In your case, it looks like your ISP hasn't even started enabling IPv6. There are some workarounds but they aren't free (last one is but requires a lot of trust :) )

1) Find a VPN provider and setup a VPN tunnel between your server and them. Your friends would connect to the VPN provider IP address and the traffic would be funneled back to the server.

2) Find a VPS provider and setup OpenVPN and tunnel between it and you.

3) Setup a local VPN, have your friends login to the VPN locally, and connect to the server using the local 192.168.1.2 address

I'm having an issue getting the port Minecraft uses open to allow other players to connect to my server. I've been doing this for years and have never encountered a problem so aggravating as this one. Let me break down what the issue is.

I just recently moved into a new apartment and got a new router and new ISP so things have been a little different than usual for me when it comes to port forwarding but nonetheless I got most of what I can do accomplished already.

• I have opened the port and forwarded it on my router's gateway to the correct internal IP of my PC that I'm running the Minecraft server on:

CA2nSrF.png

• I have completely disabled my windows firewall as well as added an incoming rule that allows connections to the 25565 port on both TCP/UDP protocols. Still to no avail. So I'm fairly certain windows firewall isn't the issue.
  • This is the second router I have tried this on and still other players can't connect using my external IP so I know it's not a router-specific issue.
  • My router is connected to a DirecTV adapter that gets the internet signal from a coaxial cable from the wall, just thought I'd point that out as previously at my last apartment when none of this was an issue, I didn't have that adapter.
  • My Minecraft SERVER-IP: is blank in the properties.
  • I have tried a different Minecraft server even, though probably not related just in case
  • I have tried connecting to my Minecraft server locally using my local internal IP, and it works fine, I am able to connect without a problem

And I'm using PFPortChecker to determine if the port is open or not:

Any and all suggestions would be fantastic. I'm typically one of those people who only use asking on forums or calling a support line as a last resort. So when I tell you I've tried A LOT of things to fix this, believe me I have haha. Thanks!

What kind of ISP are you on? Also, some ISPs don't allow some ports open.

-Wistful__#9063

Just now, Wistful_ said:

What kind of ISP are you on? Also, some ISPs don't allow some ports open.

My ISP is AccessMedia3. I have no idea if they allow or don't allow it. But that would be insane if that's the case.

ISPs sometimes block ranges of ports from inbound traffic.

Try netstat -a to see if that port is even being listened on.  If it is, your ISP is blocking.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

ISPs sometimes block ranges of ports from inbound traffic.

Try netstat -a to see if that port is even being listened on.  If it is, your ISP is blocking.

After running it, the only result that mentions the port: "0.0.0.0:25565" State: Listening

So then does that confirm they are blocking it for certain?

7 minutes ago, rogvid700 said:

After running it, the only result that mentions the port: "0.0.0.0:25565" State: Listening

Unsure what that result means.

Can you try having someone connect to a different port?  Forward port 9995 or something to port 25565 and then see if that port works from the internet?

Alternantively, contact your ISP and ask them for a list of ports they block inbound traffic on.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Can you please post the first half of your external IP according to ipchicken.com, and also the first half of the WAN IP that your router reports? And while you are collecting those, verify whether the two IPs match 100%.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 8/7/2017 at 9:44 PM, brwainer said:

Can you please post the first half of your external IP according to ipchicken.com, and also the first half of the WAN IP that your router reports? And while you are collecting those, verify whether the two IPs match 100%.

ipchicken: 40.136.X.X

(WAN IP wasn't listed anywhere specifically, but I do have my IPv4 which is different from what ipchicken posts)

IPv4: 10.1.X.X

Anyone have any ideas? I tried contacting my ISP for information about blocked ports and got no response....

5 minutes ago, rogvid700 said:

Anyone have any ideas? I tried contacting my ISP for information about blocked ports and got no response....

You're external IP is a public address (40.136.x.x) but you say your internal address is a 10.1.x.x address (you can post the full 10.x.x.x address by the way, it's a private address so nobody can do anything with it). You're port forwarding to a server on the 192.168.1.x network, specifically 192.168.1.2.

Where did 192.168.1.2 come from?

If you go to Start > Run > Type in CMD > then type ipconfig

What does it return? 192.168.1.something or 10.1.something.something?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You're external IP is a public address (40.136.x.x) but you say your internal address is a 10.1.x.x address (you can post the full 10.x.x.x address by the way, it's a private address so nobody can do anything with it). You're port forwarding to a server on the 192.168.1.x network, specifically 192.168.1.2.

Where did 192.168.1.2 come from?

If you go to Start > Run > Type in CMD > then type ipconfig

What does it return? 192.168.1.something or 10.1.something.something?

192.168.1.2 is my computer's internal IP address that the server would be running on. The 10.1.X.X number is the number I found when looking for a WAN IP on my router's homepage. I'm not sure if it is even relevant, but I figured I'd post it since there was no mention specifically of a WAN IP. I used ipconfig initially to find my internal IP. It's just so strange that despite having it seemingly port forwarded correctly that my public address just doesn't work.

Just now, rogvid700 said:

192.168.1.2 is my computer's internal IP address that the server would be running on. The 10.1.X.X number is the number I found when looking for a WAN IP on my router's homepage. I'm not sure if it is even relevant, but I figured I'd post it since there was no mention specifically of a WAN IP. I used ipconfig initially to find my internal IP. It's just so strange that despite having it seemingly port forwarded correctly that my public address just doesn't work.

Hmmm, just to make sure, to access your router you go to 192.168.1.something?

But under settings it lists the WAN IP it received as a 10.x.x.x address?

I think I know the issue but want to make sure the above is correct :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Hmmm, just to make sure, to access your router you go to 192.168.1.something?

But under settings it lists the WAN IP it received as a 10.x.x.x address?

I think I know the issue but want to make sure the above is correct :) 

My router's gateway is 192.168.1.1 not to be confused with my computer's internal IP 192.168.1.2. I use the first number to access my router yes. Here's a couple screenshots of what my router tells me:

Yp600Tf.png

U1Hm5Ih.png

6 minutes ago, rogvid700 said:

-snip-

Your carrier is using what's known as CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) and is essentially a double NAT where you get natted to an address and then that address gets natted again. It's supposed to prevent IPv4 address depletion but really is just a way for an ISP to be lazy and not migrate to IPv6. In your case, it looks like your ISP hasn't even started enabling IPv6. There are some workarounds but they aren't free (last one is but requires a lot of trust :) )

1) Find a VPN provider and setup a VPN tunnel between your server and them. Your friends would connect to the VPN provider IP address and the traffic would be funneled back to the server.

3) Setup a local VPN, have your friends login to the VPN locally, and connect to the server using the local 192.168.1.2 address

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ughhhh! I knew something like this would end up being the case. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it!

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, rogvid700 said:

go into firewall add that ipaddress and port

then do same for port forward except its 

inbound from 0.0.0.0:25656 to 192.yourip:25656

outbound from yourip to 0.0.0.0:25656

your ip port not big deal choose any number 1025 to 65535

but 0.0.0.0 port number does matter... it must be port you desire forwarded

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, rogvid700 said:

I'm having an issue getting the port Minecraft uses open to allow other players to connect to my server. I've been doing this for years and have never encountered a problem so aggravating as this one. Let me break down what the issue is.

I just recently moved into a new apartment and got a new router and new ISP so things have been a little different than usual for me when it comes to port forwarding but nonetheless I got most of what I can do accomplished already.

• I have opened the port and forwarded it on my router's gateway to the correct internal IP of my PC that I'm running the Minecraft server on:

CA2nSrF.png

• I have completely disabled my windows firewall as well as added an incoming rule that allows connections to the 25565 port on both TCP/UDP protocols. Still to no avail. So I'm fairly certain windows firewall isn't the issue.
  • This is the second router I have tried this on and still other players can't connect using my external IP so I know it's not a router-specific issue.
  • My router is connected to a DirecTV adapter that gets the internet signal from a coaxial cable from the wall, just thought I'd point that out as previously at my last apartment when none of this was an issue, I didn't have that adapter.
  • My Minecraft SERVER-IP: is blank in the properties.
  • I have tried a different Minecraft server even, though probably not related just in case
  • I have tried connecting to my Minecraft server locally using my local internal IP, and it works fine, I am able to connect without a problem

And I'm using PFPortChecker to determine if the port is open or not:

Any and all suggestions would be fantastic. I'm typically one of those people who only use asking on forums or calling a support line as a last resort. So when I tell you I've tried A LOT of things to fix this, believe me I have haha. Thanks!

add what i said to the firewall as your minecraft already set(although 192.168.1.0 set for all ip 192.168.1. 1to255) instead just single ip