gta 5 lag problem

Will01

I have a decent pc. ryzen 5 1400 and a gtx 1060 8gb ddr4. After playing for a while i get fps drops and it can get pretty bad to the point where i have to restart the game and once done its fine again. ez solid 60 fps. not sure why it does this but the game is unplayable unless im restarting quite a bit.

what are temperatures like? and what other stuff do you have running?

Might be a server error at rockstar. I was lagging a bit too. 

1 minute ago, Kabooom said:

anything going down at rockstar should have absolutely zero effect on clientside FPS.

it may cause rubberbanding, but its not gonna impact fps.

Just now, manikyath said:

anything going down at rockstar should have absolutely zero effect on clientside FPS.

it may cause rubberbanding, but its not gonna impact fps.

Oh, thought it was online. 

Whats your system memory and vram usage when this problem occurs?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

33 minutes ago, Will01 said:

I have a decent pc. ryzen 5 1400 and a gtx 1060 8gb ddr4. After playing for a while i get fps drops and it can get pretty bad to the point where i have to restart the game and once done its fine again. ez solid 60 fps. not sure why it does this but the game is unplayable unless im restarting quite a bit.

You surely have ran out of VRAM in GTA V several times and that caused the lag.(It is mainly caused by the lack of VRAM given by the video card)

If your 1060 has only 3gigs of Vram then that's the reason why you are lagging.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

yeah. im only on 3gb gtx 1060. thats really annoying. i think my ram usage is quite high too. anything i can do to lower the vram usage? like a setting that frees up alot of vram but doesnt affect much??

temps are all good and nothing to do with my connection, thats for sure. i have good internet 

40 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what are temperatures like? and what other stuff do you have running?

39 minutes ago, Kabooom said:

32 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Whats your system memory and vram usage when this problem occurs?

8 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

You surely have ran out of VRAM in GTA V several times and that caused the lag.(It is mainly caused by the lack of VRAM given by the video card)

If your 1060 has only 3gigs of Vram then that's the reason why you are lagging.

forgot to quote sorry. look above

6 minutes ago, Will01 said:

In order to lower the VRAM you'll have to lower the graphics settings in GTA V. Most likely the one with the textures will reduce the usage of V-RAM. Please check it by yourself in the graphics menu. I can't really open up the game to check by myself.(sorry)

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

22 minutes ago, Will01 said:

gta shows you vram usage, so lower settings and see which affect vram usage and turn those down

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

21 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

gta shows you vram usage, so lower settings and see which affect vram usage and turn those down

22 hours ago, R3ep3r said:

In order to lower the VRAM you'll have to lower the graphics settings in GTA V. Most likely the one with the textures will reduce the usage of V-RAM. Please check it by yourself in the graphics menu. I can't really open up the game to check by myself.(sorry)

right now my vram on gta is like 2500mb out of 3000mb so i should be good!

Do you think it could be to do with me only having 8gb of ram? my ram usage is pretty high but surely 8gb is enough to play gta!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Will01 said:

right now my vram on gta is like 2500mb out of 3000mb so i should be good!

Do you think it could be to do with me only having 8gb of ram? my ram usage is pretty high but surely 8gb is enough to play gta!!!!!!

8gigs of ram is enough at this very moment for gaming. Some games require more than 8 for 'a better experience', tho. (F*CKING FORZA HORIZON that requires ~12gb to run smoothly) 

TO BE UPGRADED:

1 hour ago, R3ep3r said:

8gigs of ram is enough at this very moment for gaming. Some games require more than 8 for 'a better experience', tho. (F*CKING FORZA HORIZON that requires ~12gb to run smoothly) 

yeah, thats what i was thinking. Im just annoyed and confused why i cant play gta 5 properly with such an expensive pc. i know it could be alot more with a threadripper plus 1080ti but for the ammount ive spent this pc should be able to run gta 5 high settings with ease surely! i feel like ive either done something wrong or theres a glitch or something. i just dont know anymore. im heading to rockstar support now. they are really bad so it will probably be a waste of time. but oh well

3 hours ago, Will01 said:

yeah, thats what i was thinking. Im just annoyed and confused why i cant play gta 5 properly with such an expensive pc. i know it could be alot more with a threadripper plus 1080ti but for the ammount ive spent this pc should be able to run gta 5 high settings with ease surely! i feel like ive either done something wrong or theres a glitch or something. i just dont know anymore. im heading to rockstar support now. they are really bad so it will probably be a waste of time. but oh well

Then your GTA might be the issue, because I have tried to play GTA V today and with everything on very high and works fine. It doesn't run 60fps 24/7 but it's playable and kinda smooth sometimes. But you know, each gamer has his opinions when it comes to FPS and smooth gameplay.

TO BE UPGRADED:

17 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Then your GTA might be the issue, because I have tried to play GTA V today and with everything on very high and works fine. It doesn't run 60fps 24/7 but it's playable and kinda smooth sometimes. But you know, each gamer has his opinions when it comes to FPS and smooth gameplay.

ok. and no offence but you only have a 1050ti and 880k. i think it might be my game. thanks again 

8 minutes ago, Will01 said:

ok. and no offence but you only have a 1050ti and 880k. i think it might be my game. thanks again 

I know I "only" have those but at the time when I upgraded Ryzen was not available for me and I didn't want that G4350 from Intel. I know I literally fucked it up but now I am planning to sell this one and upgrade to Ryzen.

TO BE UPGRADED:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ryzen 5 1400, 8gb ram, gtx 1060 3gb and a 430w psu

I get really poor fps in gta 5. I have the latest drivers and the vram is not a problem. the bar in the gta 5 settings is in the green!

Just now, Will01 said:

I get really poor fps in gta 5. I have the latest drivers and the vram is not a problem. the bar in the gta 5 settings is in the green!

Lower grass setting and make sure advanced graphics settings are turned off.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Just now, leelaa14 said:

Lower grass setting and make sure advanced graphics settings are turned off.

ok, is this a thing that affects even really good pcs? does this affect you?

Just now, Will01 said:

ok, is this a thing that affects even really good pcs? does this affect you?

i think because VRAM

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

i think because VRAM

not a problem. the slider is in the green

Just now, JDE said:

i think because VRAM

also i have friends who are running the game fine on like £70 gpus with 2gb of vram. i cant run it with a £200 gpu with 3gb

4 minutes ago, Will01 said:

run a virus scan or monitor CPU usage during gameplay if it is hitting 100 and something besides gtav is taking up a bunch of power that could be a culprit