Should I get AMD Vega or Stick to GTX 1060/1070

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

I am interested in getting a 1440p 144hz or even 4k monitor if i go with 1070 or 1080 whenever i get the time to save up so thats why i asked 

Gotcha. Personally, I'd go with a 1440p, to give me the luxury of more frames. But that's really a preference decision.

5 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Gotcha. Personally, I'd go with a 1440p, to give me the luxury of more frames. But that's really a preference decision.

How does the 1070, 1080, and 1080 TI even perform at 1440P 60hz/144hz and 4k 60hz?

If what you said about Vega 64/56 is true when compared to 1070 & 1080, would they perform the better??

Edited by UltimaHeart
screwed up end sentence

7 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

I actually don't know exactly. What I do know is that 56 is slightly better than a 1070, and 64 is slightly worse than a 1080. For reference, this is the difference between a 1070 and a 1080.

So 64/56 is in between a 1070 and 1080 for performance pretty much

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

How does the 1070, 1080, and 1080 TI even perform at 1440P 60hz/144hz and 4k 60hz?

If what you said about Vega 64/56 is true when compared to 1070 & 1080, would they perform the better??

It depends on the game. Realistically, you should be fine with the least powerful of those four, being the 1070. It's a really high-end card. But I'd say your best bet for performance and value would be one of the Vega cards. They'll both perform great at 1440p, and will likely be able to pull off 4K. However, if you want your card ASAP, you can't go wrong with a 1070 or 1080.

1 minute ago, LeinadTM said:

It depends on the game. Realistically, you should be fine with the least powerful of those four, being the 1070. It's a really high-end card. But I'd say your best bet for performance and value would be one of the Vega cards. They'll both perform great at 1440p, and will likely be able to pull off 4K. However, if you want your card ASAP, you can't go wrong with a 1070 or 1080.

Got it! Thanks so much for advice 

If I do get a Vega 64 bundle, should I also get the Ryzen 7 1800x bundle and mobo over the i7 7700k/i5 7600k? 

2 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

Got it! Thanks so much for advice 

If I do get a Vega 64 bundle, should I also get the Ryzen 7 1800x bundle and mobo over the i7 7700k/i5 7600k? 

Again, depends on your use case. If you're doing pure gaming, I'd go with an i5-7600K. If you're gonna be using it for multi-threaded workloads such as video editing/rendering, I wouldn't get the 1800X bundle, but rather a B350 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1600. Or Ryzen 7 1700, if you're got cash to spare.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Again, depends on your use case. If you're doing pure gaming, I'd go with an i5-7600K. If you're gonna be using it for multi-threaded workloads such as video editing/rendering, I wouldn't get the 1800X bundle, but rather a B350 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1600. Or Ryzen 7 1700, if you're got cash to spare.

If I get the Ryzen cpu or i7, should I do liquid cooling to it or no? Liquid cooling scares me because of the whole leaks and damages that can happen despite the advantages 

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

If I get the Ryzen cpu or i7, should I do liquid cooling to it or no? Liquid cooling scares me because of the whole leaks and damages that can happen despite the advantages 

Liquid cooling isn't really necessary. Just get a good cooler, like a Hyper 212 EVO. The Ryzen stock coolers are actually pretty good, too.

I agree with @LeinadTM that it is all about your use case.

The Hyper 212 EVO is actually my go to recommendation for friends who aren't big overclockers, but want stone cold temperatures.

That cooler can also handle overclocks well, and it doesn't break the bank.

You are asking a lot of questions, however. I would recommend that if you haven't chosen a monitor yet, to focus on that.

I wouldn't game without an adaptive sync monitor, now that I have finally started to.

I personally plan to go Vega at launch, because I have an ultra wide freesync monitor, and my Radeon R9 380 is really chugging in some games, though the freesync really helps smooth out its poor performance in some games.

However, I have already made the monitor investment. If I had a G-Sync monitor and was running a GTX 960 instead (the R9 380 equivalent), I would have probably already bought a GTX 1070.

you're in the realm where your performance will be similar across either platform, so definitely maker sure the monitor you invest in is what you want. I also recommend going to a store and actually using them, and not just reading online reviews. Just make sure you check the settings.

For example, I went to my local Micro Center to check out 144hz monitors, and realized that most of them weren't even enabled for 144hz, nor were they even connected with display port to do so. However, for me, it stopped me from spending the astronomical money for them and invested in my ultra wide :)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really do think your monitor selection is going to be more important at this stage of the game, before the other stuff!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard