Power Supply Watts for Overclocking

Benstar279
Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,

Welll, OC Ryzen doesn't make a lot of sense...

Out of the 1700 you may get something like 3,6 or 3,8GHz. 4GHz is highly unlikely.

So it's better to optimize the RAM sub Timings (new thing for Ryzen). And spend money on ridiculously fast memory - that's very important...

As for the Graphics card:
nVidia said that at 'full burst' the GPU will die after only a year or so...

But at least here you can get a bit more out than the CPU.

But honestly: OC is rarely worth it these days...

Not nearly as valuable as in the olden days.

On the CPUs it works, you can't really do shit because they are close to the maximum. And on the CPU it's worth with trying it doesn't work...

As for the CPU:
500W is plenty. You really need to push your hardware and do 'Sledgehammer overclocking' wich will make your components die rather quickly to be able to go in that direction...

1 minute ago, Benstar279 said:

I wanna overclock the Ryzen 7 1700 and a gtx 1070 ( as far as i can) and I have a 500W PSU(https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na)

Would this be enough to overclock the system? I just wanna make sure I don't make a mistake.

Here you go

Just think that if the result is 450W you are gonna have a stable and safe environment

On 8/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, ErrantNyles said:

Here you go

Just think that if the result is 450W you are gonna have a stable and safe environment

but thats at default right? if i overclock wont the power usage be higher than that?

31 minutes ago, Benstar279 said:

but thats at default right? if i overclock wont the power usage be higher than that?

You can change the voltage and clock slide for your components to check their expected power draw, which will increase on OC.

1 hour ago, ErrantNyles said:

You can change the voltage and clock slide for your components to check their expected power draw, which will increase on OC.

well pcpartpicker only tells me default or estimated power usage, which doesnt include overclocked usage, which makes me worry.

2 hours ago, Benstar279 said:

well pcpartpicker only tells me default or estimated power usage, which doesnt include overclocked usage, which makes me worry.

Just FYI, your PSU is 550W, not 500, which gives a little more head room. I think you will be fine with the parts you list, Nvidia GPU's are pretty efficient, and the 1700 is only 65W TDP.

On 8/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, thedons1983 said:

Just FYI, your PSU is 550W, not 500, which gives a little more head room. I think you will be fine with the parts you list, Nvidia GPU's are pretty efficient, and the 1700 is only 65W TDP.

Actually i have a 500W one. and my pcpartpicker is getting to 419W (no overclocking). so i think you might be wrong no offence.

20170805_175746[1].jpg

Welll, OC Ryzen doesn't make a lot of sense...

Out of the 1700 you may get something like 3,6 or 3,8GHz. 4GHz is highly unlikely.

So it's better to optimize the RAM sub Timings (new thing for Ryzen). And spend money on ridiculously fast memory - that's very important...

As for the Graphics card:
nVidia said that at 'full burst' the GPU will die after only a year or so...

But at least here you can get a bit more out than the CPU.

But honestly: OC is rarely worth it these days...

Not nearly as valuable as in the olden days.

On the CPUs it works, you can't really do shit because they are close to the maximum. And on the CPU it's worth with trying it doesn't work...

As for the CPU:
500W is plenty. You really need to push your hardware and do 'Sledgehammer overclocking' wich will make your components die rather quickly to be able to go in that direction...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Well you linked to the wrong PSU then, cause the partpicker link goes to a 550W PSU,