do i need to buy a UPS for my gaming PC ?

Nancy the Girl
Go to solution Solved by 3rrant,
10 minutes ago, Nancy the Girl said:

can the UPS protect the PC  from a sudden electrical spikes ?

for example the voltage in my house will suddenly drop from 122 V to 99 V then up again to 115

I don't know why

but can that damage my PC or my monitor ?

EDIT :

on my old PC it was connected to a UPS but that UPS is very OLD 

and I don't want to connect it to my new gaming PC 

so I'm asking if I need to buy a new UPS for my new gaming pc or its not needed .

A surge is usually 110%+ higher than the nominal power. While difference in the order of +-30% are common and normal, they won't damage anything. A 440V can go down to 360 and up to 520 in industrial setups costantly.

No, it is not NEEDED to protect the PC with an UPS, but if it your PC costs thousands it's a good thing to do. If you are considering it only because of these "voltage differences", don't buy it. It's useless.

for example the voltage in my house will suddenly drop from 122 V to 99 V then up again to 115

I don't know why

EDIT :

so I'm asking if I need to buy a new UPS for my new gaming pc or its not needed .

Most UPS have a surge protector as well as a battery backup, so you should be good. APC makes good ones, and you can even hook it up to your PC with a USB (I think? It comes with the cable) and monitor the charge levels and stuff, if you're into that.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

A UPS does protect against voltage spikes, but that's not the primary purpose. It protects against the computer cutting off when the power goes out which is mostly a protective measure for data since cutting power doesn't do much to hardware. If all you're worried about isprotecting against electric spikes, just get a surge protector and save your money. 

10 minutes ago, Nancy the Girl said:

I don't know why

EDIT :

A surge is usually 110%+ higher than the nominal power. While difference in the order of +-30% are common and normal, they won't damage anything. A 440V can go down to 360 and up to 520 in industrial setups costantly.

No, it is not NEEDED to protect the PC with an UPS, but if it your PC costs thousands it's a good thing to do. If you are considering it only because of these "voltage differences", don't buy it. It's useless.

You can use one for surge protection, but they aren't designed specifically for that purpose. What is wrong with the old UPS? Is it not large enough for your system?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

18 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You can use one for surge protection, but they aren't designed specifically for that purpose. What is wrong with the old UPS? Is it not large enough for your system?

I agree, I never replace the UPS unless I need a bigger one. Almost all UPSs will let you replace the batteries in them, batteries usually last around 3-4ish years and then need to be replaced. Most batteries are around $20-30 So it isn't to bad. 

I use a CyberPower UPS that outputs the current in a sinewave shape. It seemed to make my old intel rig run a little smoother (or placebo effect?) but my current Ryzen rig hasn't been plugged into anything else but I'm satisfied with my UPS. But I also invested over 2k in my Rig and all connected accessories and didn't want another power outage (had more where I live this past year than any year in my memory) to possibly damage anything. It's not usually necessary, though. 

Streambox / Renderbox

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Stock

AMD Wraith Max cpu cooler, 

EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC Black stock

16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600c15 @  2133MT/s stock

Asus x470 Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi)

EVGA T2 850w Gold Power Supply,  

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD4TB RAID-5 drive,   

Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

ASUS ROG PG248Q, 

w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Razer Mamba Elite, Razer Goliath chroma

Main Machine / Gaming Machine

Intel Core i7-8086k @ 5GHz 1.35v,

Corsair H115i Pro, ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, 

ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti w/ NZXT G12 GPU & NZXT Kraken x42 140mm AIO,  G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 1.35v,

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD, WD Red 4TB HDD, Seasonic Prime 1000w Titanium PSU,  (3x) Corsair ML140 Pro,

Dell S2417DG,  

Razer Blackwidow TE, Razer Lancehead, Razer Firefly,

Cooler Master H500P Mesh White