Erratic 4790K Temps

Hello all,

Installed my first custom loop a few days ago and everything seems pretty good actually except the temps on my CPU.

I used a EKWB Supremecy MX

Slim 240 Rad

if you look at a graph of the temps it peaks and drops ranging from the low 30s to low 50s idle very erratically, and peaks at around mid 80s under load.

When I installed it I used a moderate amount of paste but as my GPU is achieving amazing temps in the same loop I can only reach the conclusion that the contact between the block and CPU is to blame.

Any advice? Is it worth trying to re-seat the block with more paste? Is this going to be hard without draining the whole system? I’ve read that blocks sometimes have to be seated a certain way due to the copper fins inside but you can’t actually see into mine so I don’t have a clue

Cheers in advance 

1 minute ago, Wiggyweir said:

Hello all,

Installed my first custom loop a few days ago and everything seems pretty good actually except the temps on my CPU.

I used a EKWB Supremecy MX

Slim 240 Rad

if you look at a graph of the temps it peaks and drops ranging from the low 30s to low 50s very erratically.

When I installed it I used a moderate amount of paste but as my GPU is achieving amazing temps in the same loop I can only reach the conclusion that the contact between the block and CPU is to blame.

Any advice? Is it worth trying to re-seat the block with more paste? Is this going to be hard without draining the whole system? I’ve read that blocks sometimes have to be seated a certain way due to the copper fins inside but you can’t actually see into mine so I don’t have a clue

Cheers in advance 

what does it hit when it is under full load? and what is it clocked too?

my 4770k is clocked to 4.4 and hits 85c+ on the same setup due to the crap TIM under the heat spreader. for me to fix it I would have to delid my CPU.

Low 50s is really good.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

windows services eating up cpu randomly (happens with windows 10 on my laptop/desktop)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

what does it hit when it is under full load? and what is it clocked too?

my 4770k is clocked to 4.4 and hits 85c+ on the same setup due to the crap TIM under the heat spreader. for me to fix it I would have to delid my CPU.

Low 50s is really good.

Under load it hits 80+ on stock frequency 

13 minutes ago, Wiggyweir said:

Under load it hits 80+ on stock frequency 

if re seating the block does not help and the GPU in the same loop has no issues then it might be crappy TIM.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Im running a Phanteks PH-TC14PE on my overclocked 4790k and im seeing mid 70's during a stress test so yea you should be seeing a lot lower than that especially if its stock clocks.