i7-2600 overclock or upgrade?

Hello,

I've been running my i7-2600 since it came out and i've been using it for quite a while doing everything from web browsing and skype calls to gaming on max settings with a GTX 660 and 16gb of ddr3 ram and now recently upgraded to an GTX1060 6gb OC. I run dual monitors all the time and sometimes hook up my tv aswell and have 2 2TB harddrives and a 3TB games hard drive (just mentioning all this incase it makes a diffirence)

Recently i've been considering upgrade my i7-2600 to something newer but since clock speed havent really jumped up that much i've been thinking about just overclocking it (to 4.0Ghz or higher) and installing watercooling.

Is this a smart move when i use the pc just about all the time and even leaving it on days at a time? or will this break my CPU or something like that?

I have overclocked my CPU before to 3.8 but during summer it gets way too hot.

Let me know since i've been looking around but cant find a good conclusion for my specific case yet.

A decent <$50 air cooler (Cryorig H7, 212 Evo, etc.) should let you get above 4ghz pretty easily. Id say dont spend more than half the cost of your 5 year old CPU on a water cooler

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

10 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

I think the CPU is fine as it is, installing an aftermarket cooler might help too.

So it wont get me any more performance overclocking it?

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

A decent <$50 air cooler (Cryorig H7, 212 Evo, etc.) should let you get above 4ghz pretty easily. Id say dont spend more than half the cost of your 5 year old CPU on a water cooler

Thinking about getting a Cooler Master Seidon 240V actually since they are discounted where i live, about 50 euro's now. Would that be good to get something above 4Ghz stable?

5 minutes ago, olli3535 said:

So it wont get me any more performance overclocking it?

Thinking about getting a Cooler Master Seidon 240V actually since they are discounted where i live, about 50 euro's now. Would that be good to get something above 4Ghz stable?

Yeah any 240mm AIO will easily allow for 4ghz, likely much more provided your motherboard is half-decent and your chip isn't god awful. Those 2600k's overclocked with the best of them

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Is it a 2600, or a 2600K?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

21 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Yeah any 240mm AIO will easily allow for 4ghz, likely much more provided your motherboard is half-decent and your chip isn't god awful. Those 2600k's overclocked with the best of them

Yeah i love my i7-2600, its been through some abuse and no sign of it giving up just yet so yeah. My motherboard is an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4.

18 hours ago, asand1 said:

Is it a 2600, or a 2600K?

A normal 2600, i know its not supposed to be unlocked but somehow i've reached 4.2Ghz soooo... is it secretly a K or am i just in the wrong mindset?

1 minute ago, olli3535 said:

Yeah i love my i7-2600, its been through some abuse and no sign of it giving up just yet so yeah. My motherboard is an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4.

A normal 2600, i know its not supposed to be unlocked but somehow i've reached 4.2Ghz soooo... is it secretly a K or am i just in the wrong mindset?

post a screenshot of your CPU-Z please

17 minutes ago, Dr. KEK said:

post a screenshot of your CPU-Z please

You mean this right?

4,2.jpg

apparently you can OC it, i saw some youtube videos

On 7/26/2017 at 5:43 PM, olli3535 said:

Hello,

I've been running my i7-2600 since it came out and i've been using it for quite a while doing everything from web browsing and skype calls to gaming on max settings with a GTX 660 and 16gb of ddr3 ram and now recently upgraded to an GTX1060 6gb OC. I run dual monitors all the time and sometimes hook up my tv aswell and have 2 2TB harddrives and a 3TB games hard drive (just mentioning all this incase it makes a diffirence)

Recently i've been considering upgrade my i7-2600 to something newer but since clock speed havent really jumped up that much i've been thinking about just overclocking it (to 4.0Ghz or higher) and installing watercooling.

Is this a smart move when i use the pc just about all the time and even leaving it on days at a time? or will this break my CPU or something like that?

I have overclocked my CPU before to 3.8 but during summer it gets way too hot.

Let me know since i've been looking around but cant find a good conclusion for my specific case yet.

You should sell it to someone who has a i5 2500 and wants to upgrade.... COUGH COUGH

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Apple[IPhone SE] [Imac 21.5 dual core 3 Gghz][Time Capsule 3TB]

Linux[Several laptops]

9 hours ago, Dr. KEK said:

apparently you can OC it, i saw some youtube videos

Yeah the I7-2600 is apparently a very good chip, i've been suprised by it a lot haha the capability it has for being a 2nd generation and almost 7 years old but still kicking

8 hours ago, SammyGoad said:

You should sell it to someone who has a i5 2500 and wants to upgrade.... COUGH COUGH

Hahahaha yeah if i do opt to go for an upgrade i might hit you up to sell it, might include the motherboard and ram too ;)

A bit late.

Overclock that 2600k, you should have no issues doing 4.5-.4.8ghz on air with it unless you lost with the silicone lottery or have a terrible cooler.Theres some very good  extensive guides out there for overclocking the 2600k, if you have a decent air cooler that 2600k could prob hit 5ghz on air let alone water cooling.

The 2600k is still more then viable even 6 years down the road.