Features You Want in a Laptop But Never Find

37 minutes ago, loPro said:

https://www.ceg-hardcorecustom.com/product/clevo-p650hp6-g-p650hs-g-promo

I'm looking into this one but can't find sim tray. I'll look for reviews. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If only it had HDMI in too...

clevo p650 has 2x minidisplay ports but i don't know if they are in or out

C57_cl-900x700.png

that LTE module uses a M.2 slot so you can find this:

2. SSD M.2 SATA | LTE 4G

HUAWEI ME936 (ADD 129,71€)

clevo p640hk1 could also uses a LTE card and it has 2x minidisplay ports

T75_cl-900x700.png

here more infos about clevos

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Cause most of the time, it's not compatible or supported. I remember one of them, that only works with Gobi internet and nothing else. Sony Vaio SZ, even has the antenna.

Or the PS Vita which only worked with AT&T.

Though I do recall when PC Card and ExpressSlot were still a thing, that's how you'd get your cell internet on a laptop. But I would still say replace those with a USB port or two and have a USB based solution.

Or just get a mobile hotspot.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Or the PS Vita which only worked with AT&T.

Though I do recall when PC Card and ExpressSlot were still a thing, that's how you'd get your cell internet on a laptop. But I would still say replace those with a USB port or two and have a USB based solution.

Or just get a mobile hotspot.

PCMCIA, Express card slot, will be the same as USB, if those slots still exist today. But they're long gone, so all of them are now USB.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:
  • Sure, but HDMI has been a standard feature for the past 10+ years and by the looks of it, there still isn't really much of a market for inputs. There are plenty of other devices that do the job just fine for most people. If anything, most people want to know why they can't use their AIO computers as monitors.
  • A cost is still a cost, but you're probably right, the royalties wouldn't really change much.
  • If they're not stupid to think it makes a difference, we wouldn't have HDCP in the first place.

I'm not arguing why HDMI in is a bad idea. I'm just throwing suggestions why it's not around.

• I would say plug in. But if you're telling me that defeats the point of being mobile, then I can't imagine any place where I would be away from a plug, have a comfortable place to use a laptop, and need it for the internet. My phone, or if I had cell internet on it, my tablet will suffice until I really need to use laptop.
  • And does adding that functionality cost more? Practically every cell service I'm aware of charges you for adding a line and for it to have a data plan. Unless you have a shared data plan which makes absolutely no sense for a single user on the account like myself to have because of the cost vs. benefit.
  • The only public Wi-Fi I've found terrible was at airports (except Japan), convention centers, and high-end hotels (apparently if you're rich enough to stay at them, you're rich enough to pay for Wi-Fi). And the only restriction I've really found was not to use it to consume media. But they probably don't care anyway. And I use a VPN (which you should anyway and the cost of a VPN is cheaper than tapping into a cell network)

Basically I don't see what having cell internet access on my laptop gets me when my phone works just fine. Plus it's more convenient to take out my phone and do what I want than it is to take out my laptop.

Maybe you can tell me what benefits you see in having cell internet access on a laptop gets you.

In this case, I find another whole computer for gaming excessive. I would build a docking station setup with an eGPU and larger monitor, along with anything else I may want to add to it. Servicing two computers gets cumbersome, especially if the same game is played on both.

HDCP worked briefly. It's a cat and mouse game. 

I don't like using touch keyboards. When I'm home, sure. I'll use the ol' RJ45 but when I'm out, I don't want to carry too many devices. 

Like I said, it's probably different where you live. Atm I got a regular cell plan with 8GB at $10 a month, and a 4G chip I use for my tablet that's got 250GB a month and only costs $50 a month. If I could put that chip in my laptop, I wouldn't need the tablet. Also consider the latency when tethering or using a mifi dongle. 

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think this is why SIM slots in laptops aren't popular. It's seems more convenient to get a mobile hotspot because then any device that could use cellular service can tap into it. And you're only paying for one extra device rather than the X number of devices you would be adding otherwise.

Buddy the whole idea of having it is convenience. I can only fit so many things in my bag. 

4 hours ago, sicily428 said:

clevo p650 has 2x minidisplay ports but i don't know if they are in or out

C57_cl-900x700.png

that LTE module uses a M.2 slot so you can find this:

2. SSD M.2 SATA | LTE 4G

HUAWEI ME936 (ADD 129,71€)

clevo p640hk1 could also uses a LTE card and it has 2x minidisplay ports

T75_cl-900x700.png

here more infos about clevos

I know about the 4G huawei chip but where's the sim slot? I can't seem to find info about that. I'll keep digging. If it has one, that laptop fits my needs perfectly minus HDMI in.