How to actually upgrade storage?

I_AM_JOERY

So. Normally if I need a bigger drive I would just replace the old one with a bigger one and reinstall everything.
But this drive has to much on it.
Its a 1tb HDD that is completly full and I want to replace it with this 4tb one wich is in the mail.

Its not my boot drive just a secondary one. After I get it what do I do best? The plan is to have everything from the old drive be put on the new drive and use the old drive for other build.

But Do I just copy everything from the old drive indo the root folder of the new drive and will that be it? or do I need to do something special to make window think its that drive?

(Drive contains steam librari is why is ask)

Should be pretty simple to do:

Copy all the data from the old drive to the new drive.

Pull out the old drive.

In disk manager set the new drive to have the same drive letter.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, I_AM_JOERY said:

So. Normally if I need a bigger drive I would just replace the old one with a bigger one and reinstall everything.
But this drive has to much on it.
Its a 1tb HDD that is completly full and I want to replace it with this 4tb one wich is in the mail.

Its not my boot drive just a secondary one. After I get it what do I do best? The plan is to have everything from the old drive be put on the new drive and use the old drive for other build.

But Do I just copy everything from the old drive indo the root folder of the new drive and will that be it? or do I need to do something special to make window think its that drive?

(Drive contains steam librari is why is ask)

You should use a drive cloning program, macruim is a good, you shouldn't just copy paste the files as you will miss hidden files.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Ok i'll try the macruim thing first. gonna be bout a day till the drive gets here. I'll update on if it works or not when it gets here.

Update: YAY Drive got delivered.
Somehow my system would not recognize both the new and the old drive after plugin them in.
Rebooting a few times + reconnecting drive cables seems to fix that.
Now waiting on the slow process of cloning a 1tb disk with macruim. =D