PC Gaming with a Xbox One controller

Pittman90

So i have always loved to play racing games, but since i play on my pc its much more enjoyable with a controller. I had before the xbox 360 wireless adapter so that i could use it on my PC, well i started having alot of problems with it, mainly that it would disconnected all the time.

So i decided to get the new Xbox one S controller since it comes with Bluetooth anyways making it easier right? Well I am not sure if it is just my bad luck or if playing with a Xbox controller is just a bad experience for other people but I am still having connecting issues on my new controller, either it will disconnect entirely or just stop working until i reboot it.

If you can help or have similar experiences i would love to know. 

Just get it wired?

I use a cheap USB gamepad with x360ce and it's great [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

So i have always loved to play racing games, but since i play on my pc its much more enjoyable with a controller. I had before the xbox 360 wireless adapter so that i could use it on my PC, well i started having alot of problems with it, mainly that it would disconnected all the time.

So i decided to get the new Xbox one S controller since it comes with Bluetooth anyways making it easier right? Well I am not sure if it is just my bad luck or if playing with a Xbox controller is just a bad experience for other people but I am still having connecting issues on my new controller, either it will disconnect entirely or just stop working until i reboot it.

If you can help or have similar experiences i would love to know. 

i would basically say just get a dongle instead, but does the comtroller turn off right after you turn it on? does it work with non steam games?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

5 minutes ago, Changis said:

i would basically say just get a dongle instead, but does the comtroller turn off right after you turn it on? does it work with non steam games?

really what the problem is that it locks up the controls and i have to reboot it 

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just get it wired?

I use a cheap USB gamepad with x360ce and it's great [:

i really love the feel and look of the Xbox controller, would rather not get something cheap 

Just now, Pittman90 said:

really what the problem is that it locks up the controls and i have to reboot it 

i really love the feel and look of the Xbox controller, would rather not get something cheap 

You can get a wired xbox controller. No need for wireless when you are sat at the PC. Also wired = no batteries/charging.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

You can get a wired xbox controller. No need for wireless when you are sat at the PC. Also wired = no batteries/charging.

Also no batteries = lighter

Just now, tom_w141 said:

So the one i have has a micro USB port on it, does anybody know if i can just use that to connect it versus just to charge it 

get the dongle.. it has a bigger antennae than any bluetooth dongle or internal and will just work as it should.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

So the one i have has a micro USB port on it, does anybody know if i can just use that to connect it versus just to charge it 

i think so.. try it. take out batteries and connect it to your computer

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

I didn't mean to tell you to get a cheap gamepad, more to go wired on the xbox controller, I do think that's possible? I hope been a while I haven't touch one of those.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

33 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

I don't know how the Xbox One S controller differs (if at all), but I have the original Xbone pad and I have only ever used a micro USB cable to connect it. I don't even own the wireless adapter. I don't put batteries in it, I just plug it into one of my keyboard's USB ports with my cell phone charging cable and all is well.

I have a non S X1 controller here, if you connect it with X1 controller it will act like a wired controller, mine didn't support bluetooth so when I unplug the cable the controller would disconnect and not work, since mine can't be connected wirelessly (unless I buy an adapter which costs).

29 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

Yes you can plug and charge it and play at the same time but you need a kit 

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/about-play-and-charge-kit

You can also use AA batteries (rechargeable works too).

I got a refurbed Halo ed. Xbox one and it didn't come with a cable so I just used a random usb cable I had lying around, no problem.

Go to the windows store and search for the Xbox Accessories app. Make sure it's the one from Microsoft (thumbnail should look like a thumb stick), download, install and it should register with you controller.
All problems I have experienced with my Xbox One controller was solved by simply installing this app. 

I got an xbox one s controller for the bluetooth and it was pretty unreliable. 
Tried many bluetooth dongles. My fifa 17 would even have some crazy slowdown laggy segments which was really annoying, turned out after some online reading it's the bluetooth in the xbox one controller. Bought the official receiver and had 0 problems. 

Problems I would get with the bluetooth are...
Would take ages to find it in the device list when searching via bluetooth.
Wouldn't reconnect via bluetooth.
Would take ages to reconnect
Controller would indicate it's connected (the xbox logo would go a solid white) but really wasn't connected.
Fifa 17 would have major stuttery slowdowns.

All of this went away when I bought the official reciever.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

On 7/25/2017 at 11:37 AM, Pittman90 said:

I use an xbox one controller with a micro-usb to usb cable (just a cheap one used for charging phones. Works perfect. No batteries, no charging. Just works. When I used to use it wirelessly (with the dongle), I found I had to keep changing the batteries far too often and the drivers for the dongle kept causing problems with every windows update. :/ 

PS: Best game pad controller ever made, IMO. I didn't think they could improve on the xbox 360 controller until my friend bought an xbox one and I tried it out. Went a bought an xb1 controller for myself for the PC the next week. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS