Some help would be great!

So I've been doing a lot of research on gaming laptops lately and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on how I want to go. I want to go with a current gen alienware laptop. That's about all I have decided. So my question is this. Should I go with a aw13 r3 with the 1060 inside and get the graphics amplifier with a higher grade gpu for the time I spend at home. Or, just go balls to the wall with the aw17 r4 with the 1080?... I priced out both and including the 1080ti, the aw13 is still a cheaper solution. Keep in mind I want to be able to come home and hook up my laptop and play on a monitor with a mouse and keyboard so all of those things are including in my pricing. The aw17 alone is $2,600, $2,700. Where as aw13, the graphics amp, 1080ti, monitor, mouse, and keyboard will run me $2,300 (rounded up) on amazon. Of course I used the 1080ti for a worst case scenario of pricing. I can't imagine the 7700hq can keep up with the 1080ti but I wanted to solidly showcase the difference in pricing. So I leave it up to you guys. What should I chose, or, do you have better options for me. *BUILDING A RIG IS NOT AN OPTION* 

you could get a business laptop for battery and they have decent processors then add one of the external graphics card holders for gaming at home

2 minutes ago, TheSneakinSpider said:

you could get a business laptop for battery and they have decent processors then add one of the external graphics card holders for gaming at home

I have a laptop for work, I wanted to get one of my own for gaming on the go and gaming at home. 

I have no experience with gaming laptops but I think the cheaper with the upgrade will do better as depending on the cooling the processor can be overclocked to match or go over the other but with the prices of high end cards rn the more expensive laptop would be the smarter choice because no worries about price availability or extra shipping but if your willing to wait for the mining craze to die down you can get a 1080ti for even cheaper 

1 minute ago, TheSneakinSpider said:

I have no experience with gaming laptops but I think the cheaper with the upgrade will do better as depending on the cooling the processor can be overclocked to match or go over the other but with the prices of high end cards rn the more expensive laptop would be the smarter choice because no worries about price availability or extra shipping but if your willing to wait for the mining craze to die down you can get a 1080ti for even cheaper 

I don't plan of using the 1080 ti. I think it will be too much for the processor. I cannot overclock it. Probably plan on getting a 1080 or 1070 if I can find either of them. I know getting the aw17 with the 1080 is an easier option and obviously will have no problem with gaming. But I'll be spending much more money. Idk if it's worth it or not. 

39 minutes ago, Ghost0625 said:

So I've been doing a lot of research on gaming laptops lately and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on how I want to go. I want to go with a current gen alienware laptop. That's about all I have decided. So my question is this. Should I go with a aw13 r3 with the 1060 inside and get the graphics amplifier with a higher grade gpu for the time I spend at home. Or, just go balls to the wall with the aw17 r4 with the 1080?... I priced out both and including the 1080ti, the aw13 is still a cheaper solution. Keep in mind I want to be able to come home and hook up my laptop and play on a monitor with a mouse and keyboard so all of those things are including in my pricing. The aw17 alone is $2,600, $2,700. Where as aw13, the graphics amp, 1080ti, monitor, mouse, and keyboard will run me $2,300 (rounded up) on amazon. Of course I used the 1080ti for a worst case scenario of pricing. I can't imagine the 7700hq can keep up with the 1080ti but I wanted to solidly showcase the difference in pricing. So I leave it up to you guys. What should I chose, or, do you have better options for me. *BUILDING A RIG IS NOT AN OPTION* 

asus rog gx800

You failed to mention the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor, those are important factors.  I would say that unless you have a good income, to go with the cheaper option.  Laptops are harder to service than desktops, and if something like the GPU dies in your laptop, you ether have to send the laptop in for repairs or replace it, which is a much bigger hassle then in a desktop.

9 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

You failed to mention the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor, those are important factors.  I would say that unless you have a good income, to go with the cheaper option.  Laptops are harder to service than desktops, and if something like the GPU dies in your laptop, you ether have to send the laptop in for repairs or replace it, which is a much bigger hassle then in a desktop.

I've always been comfortable with 1080p 144. That's what I was running before I sold my desktop. I'm perfectly fine with 1080p 60 though. 

9 hours ago, Ghost0625 said:

I've always been comfortable with 1080p 144. That's what I was running before I sold my desktop. I'm perfectly fine with 1080p 60 though. 

A 1060 would probably be plenty for 1080p 60, 1080p 144 might be difficult for some of the more recent AAA games though.

I have a laptop with a 965m and it runs 1080p 60 fine in most games.

21 hours ago, Ghost0625 said:

You could consider a desktop replacement like:

-msi 16L13/evoc 16-g-1080

-clevo p750dm2

-clevo p775dm3

These have a desktop cpu and a mxm gpu

i5-7600k and i7-7700k need to be delidded

Spoiler