PC shuts off starting up Windows after hibernate

Interesting little issue I see developing. Recently I've started flipping the power supply switch around the back to save some power (draws 7W while PC off). After a hibernate, when I turn on my PC, it will shut off the minute it tries to load Windows. After it happens the first time, I press the start button and the PC is able to boot no issues, only now I've lost the hibernation data. This only happens when I flip the switch or plug out the system. If I leave the switch on and plugged in, all is fine.

I've ruled out the PSU being a problem as the voltages are all fine and stable (tested with DMM), plus the mere fact that this doesn't happen if I press shutdown in Windows then boot from there. Also, whenever the issue arises, upon the second boot, Windows asks me for a diskcheck that works on the system partition for a very short period, then boots like normal. So that making me think if hardware is at fault it would be the HDD at most.

Anyone have any ideas what could be happening that's causing the HDD to behave in a volatile memory kind of way? And why does it take the approach to completely shut down the system? I'm use to failed hibernations causing a restart, not shut off.

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

Shut down vs restart is usually a setting in the BIOS.

So you're taking the power away while the PC hibernating? I thought hibernate data is stored in the RAM so this would be expected behaviour. Either turn the PC off or leave it plugged in I say.

I edit my posts a lot.

27 minutes ago, GangstaRas said:

Interesting little issue I see developing. Recently I've started flipping the power supply switch around the back to save some power (draws 7W while PC off). After a hibernate, when I turn on my PC, it will shut off the minute it tries to load Windows. After it happens the first time, I press the start button and the PC is able to boot no issues, only now I've lost the hibernation data. This only happens when I flip the switch or plug out the system. If I leave the switch on and plugged in, all is fine.

I've ruled out the PSU being a problem as the voltages are all fine and stable (tested with DMM), plus the mere fact that this doesn't happen if I press shutdown in Windows then boot from there. Also, whenever the issue arises, upon the second boot, Windows asks me for a diskcheck that works on the system partition for a very short period, then boots like normal. So that making me think if hardware is at fault it would be the HDD at most.

Anyone have any ideas what could be happening that's causing the HDD to behave in a volatile memory kind of way? And why does it take the approach to completely shut down the system? I'm use to failed hibernations causing a restart, not shut off.

Don't switch off the PSU constantly, you'll wear out the CMOS battery more than usual. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, GangstaRas said:

If it is Hybrid and is not fully off, I am pretty certaint that it uses RAM to start back up. RAM is volatile, meaning on a loss of power all data stored on it is erased. This is why RAM can not be used as an SSD. Make sure that it is hibernation only and not hybrid, as hybrid does use RAM. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 hours ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Shut down vs restart is usually a setting in the BIOS.

So you're taking the power away while the PC hibernating? I thought hibernate data is stored in the RAM so this would be expected behaviour. Either turn the PC off or leave it plugged in I say.

Nah there should be a file just like pagefile.sys for hibernation. The OS writes that to the HDD then shuts off so even if I kill the power it shouldn't cause this, and it didn't before infact.

I'll check for that BIOS setting though

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Don't switch off the PSU constantly, you'll wear out the CMOS battery more than usual. 

Unfortunately it's a price I'll have to pay. The 7W savings doesn't sound like much but it adds up in my country. Picture your electric bill right now, similarly that's our price. But now picture getting 10x less pay in your profession or any you can think of, whether prestigious to mediocre, yeah, every drop counts here, a real inconvenience to deal with.

1 hour ago, Saddy said:

If it is Hybrid and is not fully off, I am pretty certaint that it uses RAM to start back up. RAM is volatile, meaning on a loss of power all data stored on it is erased. This is why RAM can not be used as an SSD. Make sure that it is hibernation only and not hybrid, as hybrid does use RAM. 

Yeah I use hybrid mode but I never had issues with it before. I've had power loss in hybrid mode before, and all it does is reboot the system like it was just hibernating which is great. Without power loss, it operates like sleep mode keeping RAM powered up.

I'll try disabling and re-enabling hibernation. Maybe the file is corrupt or something.

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply