Decisions on upgrades

I'm really struggling to decide what to do with my pc. Basically a little bit of background i have a GTX 970 my brother's old pc build he gave it to me and i have a HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF.

The ProDesk has an i5-4570, 1x4gb DDR3, 500gb hard drive and a 230W psu.

Option 1: At first since i was going to just buy a new case and psu and put the gtx 970, boom that would be fine but then just the other day i did some research and found out that the motherboard and power supply is proprietary. The CPU takes a 4 pin and the main board is a 6 pin. So there goes that idea out the window. 

Option 2: My next idea was to... Just buy a GT 1030 but since this is a SFF pc and will only accept half height/low profile PCI-E cards i was going to just buy a GT 1030, since all i play is mainly CS:GO, minecraft and similar games but the GT 1030 recommends a 300W+ PSU i tried looking to see if HP offer a high wattage version of this proprietary PSU but it doesn't look like they do.

Option 3: So now i'm a bit clueless on what to do since now i'm going to have to upgrade, the PSU, Case and Motherboard and maybe ram(if it's a DDR4 board) in order to just keep the i5-4570 which is probably only worth about £80. My question is should i upgrade all 3 of those parts just to keep this CPU or just save up way more money and buy a new CPU, possibly go to AMD R5 600, which well also mean new ram.

Option 2 is what i would like to do if there is just a replacement PSU that will support this motherboard i have.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks :)

I would sell the whole system and start from scratch

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I would sell the whole system and start from scratch

I brought the system for £100 so i doubt i can get much for it now, would it be better to sell as is? Or strip it down and sell parts individually?

Just now, lukesterboy said:

I brought the system for £100 so i doubt i can get much for it now, would it be better to sell as is? Or strip it down and sell parts individually?

How much moneies do you have right now

My life

How much moneies do you have right now

About £200

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I would sell it get this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgHJ4C

and a Gpu down the road

Meh, i would prefer something with a bit more power, i do quite a bit of multi tasking in terms of have quite a few programs and a lot of chrome tabs something open at the same time. The R5 or i5 is good at that.

Meh, i would prefer something with a bit more power, i do quite a bit of multi tasking in terms of have quite a few programs and a lot of chrome tabs something open at the same time. The R5 or i5 is good at that.

This option gives you more upgradeability.Or you can wait for ryzen 3

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

This option gives you more upgradeability.Or you can wait for ryzen 3

Oh ok. I suppose i could do, or i could just wait in general and save up some more monies?

Oh ok. I suppose i could do, or i could just wait in general and save up some more monies?

that too

My life

1 minute ago, Mi26 said:

Is the PSU those long type ?

Yes. I think it's TFX.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

that too

I would rather have Ryzen 5 for more future proofing than buying Ryzen 3 which will probably not keep up with my needs. That B250M motherboard also means i'll be stuck on Intel and buying an i5 does not seem to be good performance to money ratio's with Ryzen in town? Also the B250M board isn't overclockable is it?

I would rather have Ryzen 5 for more future proofing than buying Ryzen 3 which will probably not keep up with my needs. That B250M motherboard also means i'll be stuck on Intel and buying an i5 does not seem to be good performance to money ratio's with Ryzen in town? Also the B250M board isn't overclockable is it?

it's not.You can wait too

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

it's not.You can wait too

What's not?

What's not?

Overclocking

My life

Overclocking

Ok. To be honest actually overclocking doesn't bother me too much.

Would this CPU bottleneck the GTX 970 i have and would put in it?

no

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

no

forgot you have a 970 yeah.Put that in there

My life

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

no

Oh really. That's cool.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

forgot you have a 970 yeah.Put that in there

I definitely would :D

Also can you recommend me a different power supply since that SeaSonic one in the build you listed isn't available for me here in the UK (no where sells it or has it in stock)

Would this CS550M Semi Modular be ok? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m

I think the GTX 970 is 500w minimum.

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

Oh really. That's cool.

I definitely would :D

Also can you recommend me a different power supply since that SeaSonic one in the build you listed isn't available for me here in the UK (no where sells it or has it in stock)

Would this CS550M Semi Modular be ok? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m

I think the GTX 970 is 500w minimum.

check PSU tier list

no bassicaly

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

check PSU tier list

no bassicaly

Oh yeah, thanks always forget about that. Should i aim to get something from tier 2 with having a GTX 970 or will tier 3 be fine?

• 1 year later...

heres a better idea to upgrade just buy a pci express extension cable  and  a power supply. connect the  ghaphics card externally and power it separately with the  power supply you just bought. if you want to spend more they sell those external gpu case but they cost more but protect the gpu.

youre gonna have two power supplies running but atleast is on budget.