Coolant

Dear LTT Comunity,

I am planning on building a PETG (I haven't bought the tubing so other hardline types are still an option) loop with red (opaque) coolant in it. All my parts are fully copper/brass. It seems there is a lot of controversy about PETG safe coolant and coolant gunking. Unfortunately, most of the threads about it are nearly two years old. Is there any definitive answer on which coolant types work with PETG? Do the marbleized looking fluids work? Opaque? If you have any recommendations on coolant brands please let me know.

Thanks for your time and help!

Dear lahren1, 

This has been answered in a previous post, 

2 minutes ago, lahren1 said:

Dear LTT Comunity,

I am planning on building a PETG (I haven't bought the tubing so other hardline types are still an option) loop with red (opaque) coolant in it. All my parts are fully copper/brass. It seems there is a lot of controversy about PETG safe coolant and coolant gunking. Unfortunately, most of the threads about it are nearly two years old. Is there any definitive answer on which coolant types work with PETG? Do the marbleized looking fluids work? Opaque? If you have any recommendations on coolant brands please let me know.

Thanks for your time and help!

Mayhems Pastel and X1 are glycerol based fluids which are PETG compatible you want to make sure the fluids are not ethylene glycol based. 

5b5z88.jpg

I think opaque fluids are mainly represented by Mayhems Pastel and Primochill True Opaque. Thermaltake also produce some but are slightly less popular (for good reason though).

Unfortunately all of them are incredibly poorly documented and so nobody can logically explain why one would be better than another. Mayhems Pastel is glycerol based, as mentioned already. Thermaltake is Ethylene glycol based so avoid that. Primochill is a mystery black box.

My advice would be to go for a coolant that is better documented (i.e. not an opaque fluid). Based on what little we know Mayhems is "safest", Primochill is a gamble, and Thermaltake is a bad idea.