RAM Questions about my 2nd old system

Just wondering... I search it up on eBay and found some 2x4GB of DDR2 RAM for $12. But in the title, it also says that it's "ONLY for AMD CPUs". But after I filter the search for the Intel CPUs... it cost around $80. And I don't really have that big of a budget. So is AMD Compatible RAM going to work on Intel Motherboards and CPUs???

Motherboard: Foxconn Motherboard (ill update it once I found it's model number)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E2160

Thanks in advance :D

Most consumer grade 775 motherboards do not support 4GB sticks of DDR2 unfortunately, I don't know if it has anything to do with the CPU though.

EDIT: I assume the reason you want to buy 4GB DIMM's is because you only have 2 DIMM slots on your mobo?

If you really need more RAM its probably cheaper to find a used 775 socket mobo with 4 DIMM slots and just use 4x2GB sticks. 

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

I assume the reason you want to buy 4GB DIMM's is because you only have 2 DIMM slots on your mobo?

If you really need more RAM its probably cheaper to find a used 775 socket mobo with 4 DIMM slots and just use 4x2GB sticks. 

Yea my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots in it. But the cheapest motherboard I could find is around $50 and I can't afford it right now. But you did say it will work on 2GB Sticks. so it will probably going to work with 2x2GB of RAM?

1 minute ago, Elastico345 said:

Yea my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots in it. But the cheapest motherboard I could find is around $50 and I can't afford it right now. But you did say it will work on 2GB Sticks. so it will probably going to work with 2x2GB of RAM?

Yes, 2x2GB will work just fine, just make sure they are the same sticks to avoid issues.

What do you (want to) use your pc for? Maybe an upgrade to a quadcore Q6600/95xx for about $20-30 (depending on your area) might not be a bad choice if your motherboard supports it. Or even a faster dualcore like the E8500, they can be found for next to nothing.

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

What do you (want to) use your pc for? Maybe an upgrade to a quadcore Q6600/95xx for about $20-30 (depending on your area) might not be a bad choice if your motherboard supports it. Or even a faster dualcore like the E8500, they can be found for next to nothing.

It's just for light gaming for my cousin. He's just going to play Terraria, CS:GO and some other light games and Yea I'm planning to upgrade the CPU to Q6600 and it only cost $12 as well on eBay.

23 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

You'd probably have spend $100+ for a p35/p45 or x38/x48. I don't recommend anybody buy those unless you're very serious about benchmarking.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

You'd probably have spend $100+ for a p35/p45 or x38/x48. I don't recommend anybody buy those unless you're very serious about benchmarking.

No, i got the motherboard from my classmate which he gave it to me.

8 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

It's just for light gaming for my cousin. He's just going to play Terraria, CS:GO and some other light games and Yea I'm planning to upgrade the CPU to Q6600 and it only cost $12 as well on eBay.

E8400/8500/8600 would probably get more fps.

2 minutes ago, dexT said:

You don't need a higher end motherboard to use 2GB sticks of RAM.

@Elastico345 He does have a point though, make sure your foxconn board supports quadcore CPU's!

Just now, Jonathan Lemmens said:

You don't need a higher end motherboard to use 2GB sticks of RAM.

@Elastico345 He does have a point though, make sure your foxconn board supports quadcore CPU's!

You do to use 4gb dimm.

Just now, dexT said:

You do to use 4gb dimm.

Yes, that's exactly what i said in my first reply, and OP seems to be fine with using 2x2GB.

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Yes, that's exactly what i said in my first reply, and OP seems to be fine with using 2x2GB.

Cool was just backing it up. 

I don't like seeing people get boards like the UD3P and P5Q D or of course the ROG 775 boards if they are not benching. They're finite.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

I don't like seeing people get boards like the UD3P and P5Q D or of course the ROG 775 boards if they are not benching. They're finite.

LOL, can I make it up to you by saying I use my ROG Maximus Formula II for benchmarking on almost a weekly basis :D 

21 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

LOL, can I make it up to you by saying I use my ROG Maximus Formula II for benchmarking on almost a weekly basis :D 

I've got one of those. Still has the C2E QX9650 in it I used for OC E-Sports http://hwbot.org/user/knock/

20170720_084856.jpg

20170720_085256.jpg

52 minutes ago, dexT said:

I've got one of those. Still has the C2E QX9650 in it I used for OC E-Sports http://hwbot.org/user/knock/

Nice scores!

This is mine:

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.9d1bda9202c2d5e1f21d282a03656a13.JPG

I use it primarily to do my own binning on 771 Xeon CPU's (I mod the chip, not the socket) and testing Crossfire and GPU's in general.

Right now I have it paired with a Xeon X5460 @4.4Ghz, 8GB of Corsair XMP 1066Mhz RAM and a GTX 570 with a decent OC. :) 

EDIT: @Elastico345 We're kind of hijacking your topic here. I'm sorry.

56 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Nice scores!

This is mine:

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.9d1bda9202c2d5e1f21d282a03656a13.JPG

I use it primarily to do my own binning on 771 Xeon CPU's (I mod the chip, not the socket) and testing Crossfire and GPU's in general.

Right now I have it paired with a Xeon X5460 @4.4Ghz, 8GB of Corsair XMP 1066Mhz RAM and a GTX 570 with a decent OC. :) 

EDIT: @Elastico345 We're kind of hijacking your topic here. I'm sorry.

Awesome rig!  Got a couple or 10 or Xeons I need to bench. 

I was running 5028MHz with the QX9650 and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix 800 OC'd to 1341MHz C5. As you can see I was using the Rampage Extreme before with a E8600 at 5.4GHz but something happened and it won't fully turn on now.

20170511_192652.jpg

2 hours ago, dexT said:

Awesome rig!  Got a couple or 10 or Xeons I need to bench. 

I was running 5028MHz with the QX9650 and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix 800 OC'd to 1341MHz C5. As you can see I was using the Rampage Extreme before with a E8600 at 5.4GHz but something happened and it won't fully turn on now.

Dude! You've got LN2 and a modded power delivery on the GPU and you call my rig awesome? I'm honoured :) 

Shame the Rampage board died, but I guess that's not uncommon for someone with a hobby like yours.

27 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Dude! You've got LN2 and a modded power delivery on the GPU and you call my rig awesome? I'm honoured :) 

Shame the Rampage board died, but I guess that's not uncommon for someone with a hobby like yours.

No any M2F rig rocks.

That's my phase change in the pic. I have LN2 hardware but have only used dry ice/acetone. I want to start LN2 on this G3258.

20170616_215338.jpg

EDIT: I will have a REX again :)