XFX 390 overheating when undervolted.

Subduck

I've had my R9 390 for nearly 2 years and it has been ridiculously hot considering it's not a reference card. In nearly every game its reaching 94C and idles at 50C. The card is an XFX DD Black Edition. I repasted the card roughly 3-4 months ago and i wouldn't think it would have crumbled by now. Here is a screenshot of msi afterburner. http://prntscr.com/fxoios

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

m5vDmoq5Soi3m6bp4pdjUQ.png

raise the fan speed? that's all you can do other than undervolting even more

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Subduck said:

I've had my R9 390 for nearly 2 years and it has been ridiculously hot considering it's not a reference card. In nearly every game its reaching 94C and idles at 50C. The card is an XFX DD Black Edition. I repasted the card roughly 3-4 months ago and i wouldn't think it would have crumbled by now. Here is a screenshot of msi afterburner. http://prntscr.com/fxoios

I would say either the thermal paste application wasn't successful or that the cooler isn't mounted properly. Did you use the pea method?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

26 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

I would say either the thermal paste application wasn't successful or that the cooler isn't mounted properly. Did you use the pea method?

Basically a pea, maybe like a short bit of rice.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Subduck said:

Basically a pea, maybe like a short bit of rice.

What I would try then is a line of thermal paste parallel to the longest side,in the middle of the die, then spread it out, you want to aim for a thin layer covering the die, before tightening the cooler down let it sit on the GPU for a minute or two first, to let the air escape.Maximising contact between the cooler and the GPU. It may only help a bit but it should be noticeable. Make sure that the cooler is tightened down properly too. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?