Ryzen 1600 build freezes if I OC RAM

Go to solution Solved by Zac w,
13 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

I'm unfamiliar with the naming scheme for that boards BIOS but use the latest. Having AGESA microcode update 1006 from AMD in the BIOS is absolutely essential for RAM OC (latest BIOS should include this by now).

EDIT: Slightly misread your question. No just start with the latest. Motherboard BIOS is completely Independent to the OS

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

UPDATE: After endless hours of troubleshooting I swapped the ram for Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 and the system has no problems booting. Can confirm that ram didn't like Ryzen, my assumption would be it was an older batch.

Hey guys, my apologies in advance as so many other individuals have experienced similar issues. After reading through a ton of forums and trying various fixes I can't seem to figure this one out. If anybody has any ideas of things I could try or change I would love to hear them like any funny bios setting tweaks or changes.

Build:

CPU: Ryzen 1600 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200. Model: f4-3200c16D-16GTZR

Motherboard: Asus Strix b350f Gaming

I am building this PC for my little brother and for the life of me I cannot get this rig stable. At stock the system is fine (2100 mhz) but if I even apply it to 2400 the system will boot and I can even get Aida 64 to run along with cinebench or even a game but the moment I exit the game stop Aida or cinebench finishes its run the system locks up and freezes or the whole system will just shut off. If I apply D.O.C.P. which is at 3200 Mhz the system wont boot unless I change the DRAM Voltage from auto (1.35) to 1.45 in which case it boots but then the above happens it freezes.

I have applied the latest bios 0805 x 64 and I am about to try some other versions to see if it makes a difference.

I have also tried the chips in various A1Bb1 A2/B2 configurations. Along with sifting through what seems like hundreds of forum pages of others having similar issues it seems most people can get their ram to 2933 sometimes having to go back to 2666 which I would be happy with but it seems while I can boot it always freezes once it finishes a high processing task.

Really looking for any help and appreciate any responses in advance , my brother was really set on this particular RGB kit apposed to say Corsairs RGB and I really want him to enjoy his new build as it's his Birthday present :).

Update

Are you manually OCing or just using XMP?  (or should I call DOCP)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Are you manually OCing or just using XMP?  (or should I call DOCP)

I think XMP is what most people still call it I was unsure myself now? haha. Anyway so I have tried XMP only boots if I change DRAM Voltage to 1.45 up from 1.35 but it freezes once I run a program. I have also tried XMP and manually changing the ram to 2400 Mhz and I added +2 to all the timings still freezes. I also just tried setting everything auto but target speed 2400 with 1.45 v dram. It seems I am not having much luck with this :(

2 minutes ago, Zac w said:

I think XMP is what most people still call it I was unsure myself now? haha. Anyway so I have tried XMP only boots if I change DRAM Voltage to 1.45 up from 1.35 but it freezes once I run a program. I have also tried XMP and manually changing the ram to 2400 Mhz and I added +2 to all the timings still freezes. I also just tried setting everything auto but target speed 2400 with 1.45 v dram. It seems I am not having much luck with this :(

So at 2133MHz (shouldn't be 2100 unless you've manually did something), its fully stable? Have you tried a memory test? (just in case) 

edit: Have you tried running the sticks one at a time as well?

@Zac w

Before beginning I'm assuming this is a clean windows 10 install? Otherwise do that 1st.

Seat the RAM in A2 and B2

Load the latest BIOS (check you seem to have done so)

Within the BIOS load optimised defaults.

Save and Reset.

Run some CB15, 15 mins or some with AIDA and whatever else caused it to crash before. If all is well head back to the BIOS.

Leave CPU OC alone for now.

Select D.O.C.P Standard this applies your RAM's XMP profile.

Check it has set your RAM's voltage to something other than auto (probably 1.35V)

In memory frequency it is probably 3200 due to XMP. To start with drop that to 2666 or 2933.

Save and Reset.

Test. How is it now? Good? Increase memory frequency. Bad? Scratch head and report back.

EDIT: Whats your timezone? I can help way more after work but im UK so that's like 6 hours away sorry mate :/ I have a crosshair so my BIOS will be fairly similar.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

So at 2133MHz (shouldn't be 2100 unless you've manually did something), its fully stable? Have you tried a memory test? (just in case) 

Correct I haven't done a memory test as I have played guild wars 2, PUBG run heaven benchmark and Aida without any crashes. Basically the system runs great but the moment I raise the memory anything past from as you say 2133 it boots but locks up and freezes.

Just now, Zac w said:

Correct I haven't done a memory test as I have played guild wars 2, PUBG run heaven benchmark and Aida without any crashes. Basically the system runs great but the moment I raise the memory anything past from as you say 2133 it boots but locks up and freezes.

Have you tried running your sticks one at a time? It's possible that one of em doesn't like anything higher than stock DDR4 (although it should run at 3200MHz izi pizi as its rated for it)

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Before beginning I'm assuming this is a clean windows 10 install? Otherwise do that 1st.

Seat the RAM in A2 and B2

Load the latest BIOS (check you seem to have done so)

Within the BIOS load optimised defaults.

Save and Reset.

Run some CB15, 15 mins or some with AIDA and whatever else caused it to crash before. If all is well head back to the BIOS.

Leave CPU OC alone for now.

Select D.O.C.P Standard this applies your RAM's XMP profile.

Check it has set your RAM's voltage to something other than auto (probably 1.35V)

In memory frequency it is probably 3200 due to XMP. To start with drop that to 2666 or 2933.

Save and Reset.

Test. How is it now? Good? Increase memory frequency. Bad? Scratch head and report back.

To be honest I have my Hardrive in as it has all my benchmarking tools etc on it where as I am planning a fresh windows 10 install on my bros new SSD. Do you think this could have anything to do with it? I'll immediately chuck his SSD in to try it as I need to set it up anyway.. Aside from that after reading way to many forums i applied all your given instructions pretty much in that order and I am at the scratch head part XD.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Have you tried running your sticks one at a time? It's possible that one of em doesn't like anything higher than stock DDR4 (although it should run at 3200MHz izi pizi as its rated for it)

Yeah initially I thought this could be the case however I tried swapping them or running them one at a time and I tried in all the slots and I am getting the exact same results :(

Appreciate the responses so far guys, I really need to get this sorted as I went back to the shop and the guy said the only other ram he could sell me was a RGB corsair kit 3400 speed for another $50 making it $300 AUD which is insane for his build xD

2 minutes ago, Zac w said:

Yeah initially I thought this could be the case however I tried swapping them or running them one at a time and I tried in all the slots and I am getting the exact same results :(

Try installing windows on the actual SSD then, windows is finnicky afterall as it has thrown many many memory errors at me before for reusing a previous windows install before :P

5 minutes ago, Zac w said:

Do you think this could have anything to do with it? I'll immediately chuck his SSD in to try it as I need to set it up anyway

If your PC is Intel then yes. When installed the OS sets itself up for the hardware. The AMD architecture is completely different and can cause weird issues. It may not be the cause but it would be the 1st thing I address. I've seen issues from weird crashes to cores not being recognised, the cause being using an old OS from another PC or their previous system.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Try installing windows on the actual SSD then, windows is finnicky afterall as it has thrown many many memory errors at me before for reusing a previous windows install before :P

Okay on it right now setting up his SSD right now.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

If your PC is Intel then yes. When installed the OS sets itself up for the hardware. The AMD architecture is completely different and can cause weird issues. It may not be the cause but it would be the 1st thing I address. I've seen issues from weird crashes to cores not being recognised, the cause being using an old OS from another PC or their previous system.

Wow I can't believe I overlooked that... I think you could be onto something as I have built about 5 systems on this SSD and it has software installed for all the different builds. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this fixed it. Assuming it doesn't do you guys reckon I should try install the 805 bios or go back to an old one then back to 805? 

7 minutes ago, Zac w said:

Wow I can't believe I overlooked that... I think you could be onto something as I have built about 5 systems on this SSD and it has software installed for all the different builds. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this fixed it. Assuming it doesn't do you guys reckon I should try install the 805 bios or go back to an old one then back to 805? 

I'd suspect in terms of RAM compatibility for Ryzen, newest BIOS is always going to be the best.

10 minutes ago, Zac w said:

I'm unfamiliar with the naming scheme for that boards BIOS but use the latest. Having AGESA microcode update 1006 from AMD in the BIOS is absolutely essential for RAM OC (latest BIOS should include this by now).

EDIT: Slightly misread your question. No just start with the latest. Motherboard BIOS is completely Independent to the OS

Okay fresh install on a new SSD still same problems happening :(

13 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Any other ideas as to what it could be?