Mixer Choice

b632

Hello everyone, I have recently started using Synergy to share my souse and keyboard between my Mac Mini and my main desktop PC. However, it has become quite annoying that I can't share my PC's headphones/microphone with the Mac. I know almost nothing about audio and the hardware that goes with it. So, here's what I'm looking for:

Sound Input from Microphone (USB) split between two cables (either USB or 3.5mm) to be sent to computers

Sound Output from Mac (3.5mm) mixed with output from PC (Either 3.5mm or USB) to be sent to headphones (Preferably USB but 3.5mm is acceptable)

Notes: I am not an audiophile. I don't care all that much about quality, I just want a reasonable experience with my HyperX Cloud II headset and AT2020 USB microphone.

Thanks! :)

I don't know of a way to split usb mic audio to two computers, you may be able to use line out from usb mic computer to line in of other, I'm not sure if it will carry mic audio. I use this method to chain audio from secondary pc myself that I use with synergy. Then use headphone port on secondary pc to your headset or have cloud 2 plugged into that for audio. 

A simpler option is use cloud 2 mic for one computer and at2020 mic for other and use line out/line in to combine audio to whichever computer has cloud headset. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

@b632

I think what your looking for is called an "A B Switcher". I've made these myself for headphones, it's pretty simple to do. But I never tried to make one for a usb. That may not be quite so simple. I know they make them for things like printers, so you can switch between 2 different printers, and I know they make them for audio jacks. I'm not sure if they make them for both on the same unit. So, I would suggest doing a search for A B Switcher, and see what comes up. I could draw you a simple wiring diagram on how to make one for your 3.5mm connections, but I don't know your mechanical capabilities.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."