Dell S2716DG vs ASUS PG279Q

KSP
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

For that kind of price difference I'd just go with the Dell. The TN panel is uses is about as good as you can get.

So I have been wanting to make the switch to an actual 1440p gaming monitor, as currently I game on some crappy monitor I don't even know the name of. I wanted 1440p and High refresh rate, and I have narrowed my choices down to the Dell S2716DG and the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (Yes, I know Acer has a monitor that is the same exact specs as the ROG Swift, but I don't like its aesthetics :P). Currently, I can get the Dell monitor at Best Buy or Amazon for $479.99, which looks very appealing, and the ROG Swift goes for $749.99. Both monitors are 1440p, high refresh rate (144Hz for the Dell and 165 for the ROG Swift), both are 27", and both have GSynch. However, the Dell has a TN Panel and the ROG Swift has a IPS panel. So I would go for the ROG Swift for the IPS Colors, even tho its close to $300 more. However, I have read user reviews of the monitor, and its fairly mixed. Some say the monitor came with little to no BLB and no dead pixels (they were usually newer reviews), and some say their experience with the monitor was quite horrifying, horrendous BLB, dead pixels, etc (usually they were older reviews). The reviews are what is making me hesitant to dropping $750 on the ROG Swift, as I would rather not enter enter a lottery system when spending this amount of money. Thats when I stated to look at the Dell SG2716DG monitor. The user reviews for this monitor are great, many 5 stars. However, the Dell does use a TN panel, which with out of the box settings yield worse colors than a IPS panel., and maybe even a worse experience when gaming. But, I have also read that with some tweaking to the settings, the Dell TN Panel can produce nice colors. So I am wondering, should I spend the extra $300 to enter a somewhat lottery system for the ROG Swift? Or should I save the $300 and live with (slightly) worse colors?

*Please note that I am not a "hardcore" gamer, and I do enjoy colors and the overall experience"

Thank you all.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

I was looking for the same thing, I found the Dell monitor for around $500 (Which is highly rare in my country)

note that pretty much all 1440p 144hz IPS panels, AFAIK, have this panel lottery problem. that being said, if you're willing to RMA a few times to get the right panel, ASUS will allow you to. i heard a lot of cases of people RMA lots of times to get the quality they want and expect.  

I have the PG279Q and it's a rock solid monitor. Naturally, there's the matter of dealing with the AU Optronics panel lottery so YMMV.

The Dell's TN panel is as good as they come once you mess with the colour settings. Obviously, it's not going to be as good as an IPS one but if the price difference is that large, I'd probably go for that.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I have the PG279Q and love it. The only thing I cant figure out is a single line of pixels on the far left that changes colors randomly when playing game almost like a tearing issue. No idea what it is but it happens so rarely I dont bother with it.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

I think I should have added a poll, lol.

@Vigilante505 and @HKZeroFive, how long ago did you pick up your PG279Q? Does your monitor have any BLB, or any other quality issues?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

1 minute ago, KSP said:

I think I should have added a pole, lol.

@Vigilante505 and @HKZeroFive, how long ago did you pick up your PG279Q? Does your monitor have any BLB, or any other quality issues?

Backlight bleed and IPS glow is mostly minimal and not really an issue nor noticeable to be honest. But then again, I might've been lucky so YMMV.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Backlight bleed and IPS glow is mostly minimal and not really an issue nor noticeable to be honest. But then again, I might've been lucky so YMMV.

Ah ok, thank you.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

1 hour ago, KSP said:

I think I should have added a poll, lol.

I did have some stuck pixels when i got my first one. I had it switched out at Best Buy and went over this new one with a fine tooth comb. No issues.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

So, I have decided to save the $300 purchase the Dell S2716DG over the ASUS PG279Q. Maybe I'll use that money for a new monitor when the next generation of monitors are released. Thanks all for the feedback and help!

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

If there’s still time you should know that the dell regularily goes on sale for $400 from Best Buy. You can see when the next sale will be by looking at the price graph on PCPP.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Beginning to think that I might do the same.  I was holding out for a IPS panel but I may go the TN panel route since that's what I use now (4 year old 1080 panel).  Primarily gaming...so I could get an IPS panel without G-Sync for anything requiring more accurate color representation.  I dunno.  Thoughts?

Welp. The Dell panel is no longer $479.99, I see it now going for around $500-600, which I am kinda pissed about (I should have grabbed it when it was on sale! Darn!). I might start to reconsider getting the PG279Q. Or I might just wait for the S2716DG to go back on sale.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

On 7/15/2017 at 2:38 PM, Vigilante505 said:

I have the PG279Q and love it. The only thing I cant figure out is a single line of pixels on the far left that changes colors randomly when playing game almost like a tearing issue. No idea what it is but it happens so rarely I dont bother with it.

You will find that single line of pixels belongs in the middle of the screen.  It is some odd refresh bug in the drivers.  I usually change the refresh rate in windows (144/120) and back to fix it.  I haven't worried about it since the issue is rather rare for me (noticed once a month or so).  

• 5 months later...

Dell customer service made me go with them versus Asus.

Asus stinks if any issue happens (I'm a fan of Asus....Hero motherboard, Strix GPU in my build)