Any way to opt out of the WIndows 10 Creators update?

Railgun
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, Railgun said:

Windows 10 Home. That's way too much work for what it's worth. This is just my personal computer

Yah, best thing I can advise is make a full backup and cross your fingers :( 

Looks Microsoft is going to try to force the update on me as they tend to do. It doesn't look like it adds anything too useful and I would rather not risk the update screwing everything over as Windows updates usually do. How can I make sure I don't get it?

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

One does not simply stand in the way of progress. One accepts it and embraces the glory that Microsoft will bestow upon you!

(Serious: There really isn't much you can to do stop it aside blocking windows update completely which can be done by a google search)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

One does not simply stand in the way of progress. One accepts it and embraces the glory that Microsoft will bestow upon you!

(Serious: There really isn't much you can to do stop it aside blocking windows update completely which can be done by a google search)

I don't think I want to block the update service since I would still want to receive security updates for the version I have. Guess I'm screwed then..

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

3 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Looks Microsoft is going to try to force the update on me as they tend to do. It doesn't look like it adds anything too useful and I would rather not risk the update screwing everything over as Windows updates usually do. How can I make sure I don't get it?

use group policy manager to disable windows updates

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

Would that allow me to still receive security updates?

Just now, Railgun said:

I don't think I want to block the update service since I would still want to receive security updates for the version I have. Guess I'm screwed then..

Let me ask you this, are you running Win 10 Pro or Home?

I've seen some issues with Home users but never seen much with Pro being impacted by the creators update.

There obviously are more sophisticated ways but nothing simple. You could setup a Windows 10 update server in a domain group and distribute updates accordingly but that's a lot of work and not cheap.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Let me ask you this, are you running Win 10 Pro or Home?

I've seen some issues with Home users but never seen much with Pro being impacted by the creators update.

There obviously are more sophisticated ways but nothing simple. You could setup a Windows 10 update server in a domain group and distribute updates accordingly but that's a lot of work and not cheap.

Windows 10 Home. That's way too much work for what it's worth. This is just my personal computer

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Would that allow me to still receive security updates?

4 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

group policy is only for pro and maybe edu, so if you have win10 home like everybody then u can't use that

Just now, Railgun said:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yeah guess that's what I will have to do lol. Thanks for the help anyway

Honestly. I am part of the Insider program on the Fast Ring. Meaning I get full OS build updates just about every week, and I never had any issues, and so does most.

Of course, what I said doesn't translate to what you need. And yes, they are times things can screw up. But I think it is pretty reliable.

The recommendation that is given are: Before Upgrading:

1. Ensure that all your drivers are fully updated.
  2. If you use something else than Windows Defender as security software or have additional ones, make sure they are fully updated with the latest version. It does happen that some security software think an attack has started and tries to block things while the update process has started. It will take time for security software to ensure to avoid this, while keeping the system secure. Some have no issues already, others have been reported to have. I personally recommend to uninstall it, restart, and update, and then once Windows is updated, then re-install it back, just to be safe. Note: Disabling the security software doesn't help. It doesn't actually fully disable itself.

Keep in mind that:

• If you used system tweak tools that modify system files, then you are in for trouble during the upgrade process. You are possibly looking at a clean install.
  • If you have a virus or any other form of malware, your security software only removes them, and doesn't undo modified system files, if it has done so. So things can screw up.
  • If you used Registry Cleaner, then you are also asking for trouble.
  • Ensure that your system is 100% stable and solid. If you system is overclocked, this can cause problem due to the high stress the upgrade places on components. Doesn't mean that your games and PC in general runs fine that it is "solid" from your overclock. All depends on how you tested your overclock.

These recommendations are nothing new, and applied to any large OS upgrade. From upgrading one version of Windows to another, or installing a Service Pack.