Windows 10 on a 32GB Hard Drive

Hi!

Quick (newb) question here, I've started to look for a cheap laptop for a relative, for a light use (internet navigation, Netflix, light Word/Excel…) with Windows 10, and while I’m was looking at the specs, I’m was a bit shocked to see several computers sold in the 200–450$CAD price range with only a 32 GB eMMC hard drive.

While I can understand those manufacturers want to use an eMMC hard drive to save on costs, get better performances, and improve battery life, it seems odd to me 32 Gb is a decent size for a Win 10, while usually the OS takes about 15 GB, more or less. I have the feeling those manufactures just want to compete (on the price point) with Chromebooks but using Win 10, and ignoring the usability.

In fact, I have seen one of those computer on display in a brick and mortar store, and I have checked the available space: 9.9 GB. I guess I can save some space by removing some bloatware, but even with that, I guess I will lose those space gains by installing MS Word/Excel.

So, even if the user does not store personal files on an SD card, do you think in the long run (2–3 …4 years), the user (BTW, not a power user) is going to run into problems or get caught in a bottle neck, having to run the tool to clean up the drive on a regular basis (and guess who will have to do that…) using those 32 GB hard drive configuration with Windows 10.

I do believe a plain old 500 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive is a better option, despite the slower speed and higher energy consumption in this use case?

And do I am wrong by thinking 32 GB hard drive laptops is like smartphones with 8 GB of storage space, both a bad thing for the consumer?

Thanks!

Those 32GB drives should be fine for the average user if they get a decent size SD card to keep stuff such as music and movies on. Using USB flash drives may also be something the user would have to put up with.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Everyone has different needs,. Usually, because the CPU is garbage putting an SSD or in this case eMMC memory is faster than an HDD and gives the general experience to feel smooth and fast. Such system was designed for web surfing on light-ish websites like YouTube (of course ignoring 4K video options), Facebook, etc. Not really JavaScript heavy websites. And for use with Office. Maybe that casual mobile-style games that one can find in the Windows Store (so obviously no XBox labeled games. But games like Candy Crush) should be OK.

If you are looking for such system, I recommend you get one with microSD card or SD card that fit flush with the device, and extend your storage that way. You can maybe even use Storage Space feature in Windows to merge both drives as once (just never remove the SD card if you do). And of course, get a fast read and write SD card.