Best upgrade path for my gaming pc?

My current computer has:
AMD FX 6300

GTX 750ti

6gb RAM

1tb Hard Drive

600w PSU

I was wondering what is the cheapest or most efficient way to get the best performance, i don't really want to change my motherboard.

No real budget, but I'm a student so I don't really want to spend a ridiculous amount, maybe around 500 is my limit for upgrades but i can go higher

I would add an SSD for sure, nothing to big, like a boot 120 gb would do and it could store a little extra stuff aswell. Something like Sk Hynix. It will drastically decrease the load/boot time for what you store on it

Howdy,

I was in the same pair of shoes as yourself just a couple months ago.  Was running an AMD FX 6350 but my problem was not the CPU but the mobo.  Since I figured I had so much invested in the system and just limited resources to pay for the fix I knew that I would have to replace the mobo but if I was going to replace the mobo, I might as well also upgrade the cpu too.

So I went with an ASUS TUF Sabertooth FX990 3.0 mobo and....

an AMD FX 8370.

That way I didn't have to replace the 32gigs of ram that I already have, the PSU, or the HDD.  I'm sure this setup will last quite a while (years I hope) so my next upgrade is to go with an AIO cooler and a new vid card.

Take care and Good Luck.

PS.  If you do decide to go with an 8350 or 8370, be sure to get a nice cooler, the 8370 that I have does produce quite a bit of heat.  I have three fans in and two fans out so that I can maintain static pressure inside the case to help cut down on dust, etc., along the way.

22 minutes ago, TheChosenTwo said:

I would add an SSD for sure, nothing to big, like a boot 120 gb would do and it could store a little extra stuff aswell. Something like Sk Hynix. It will drastically decrease the load/boot time for what you store on it

While I would agree with an SSD, I would go with something from Samsung's Evo lineup. Look into either an 850 Evo SATA SSD, or maybe a 960 Evo if you have the money and really want some great speeds (not really necessary though). 

43 minutes ago, Slurpppppp said:

My current computer has:
AMD FX 6300

GTX 750ti

6gb RAM

1tb Hard Drive

600w PSU

I was wondering what is the cheapest or most efficient way to get the best performance, i don't really want to change my motherboard.

No real budget, but I'm a student so I don't really want to spend a ridiculous amount, maybe around 500 is my limit for upgrades but i can go higher

For WHAT you need more performance? Work? Gaming?

Assuming gaming: GPU > RAM > CPU (FX8350/8370)

Work: SSD (boot drive) > RAM > CPU > GPU

As a general purpose of both, I'd do this: Get a cheap but good ssd you can bring on with you in the future (Samsung EVO 750/840/850 serie, 120/240gb for boot only). Upgrade your video card to a RX470/480/570/580 or NVIDIA 1060 6GB when you see a good price for them (do not overpay them, just be patient and check daily sales). Upgrade ram to 1X8GB or even 2X16GB. Upgrade the CPU with an used FX8350 or FX8370 without spending too much on them.

With 500$, and a couple of months, you will surely do it without hassle.

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

For WHAT you need more performance? Work? Gaming?

Assuming gaming: GPU > RAM > CPU (FX8350/8370)

Work: SSD (boot drive) > RAM > CPU > GPU

As a general purpose of both, I'd do this: Get a cheap but good ssd you can bring on with you in the future (Samsung EVO 750/840/850 serie, 120/240gb for boot only). Upgrade your video card to a RX470/480/570/580 or NVIDIA 1060 6GB when you see a good price for them (do not overpay them, just be patient and check daily sales). Upgrade ram to 1X8GB or even 2X16GB. Upgrade the CPU with an used FX8350 or FX8370 without spending too much on them.

With 500$, and a couple of months, you will surely do it without hassle.

It's for gaming mainly, and thanks man i'll definitely look into those :P

41 minutes ago, TheChosenTwo said:

pretty much any brand of ssd will be a significant improvement as long as you stick to the mainstream brands 

You said you need it for gaming so I would upgrade to:
GTX 1060 6gb + OS ssd (120gb/240gb) if you can afford it together.

SSDs give a whole new experience when it comes to startup and general usage so definitely worth at least $50 investment once.

I've got both 480 and a gtx 1060 6gb and despite the 480 technically giving a bit higher frame rates (the new 580 would be even a small bit faster) think the 1060 is superior for the following reasons:

* 1060 is cheaper

* 1060 is more efficient

* 1060 gives much less heat (I have a EVGA SC 6gb (1fan) and it runs up to about 60*c...)

* Impossible to get 480/580 right now because of crypto miners, (I know, I'm doing it too)

* Drivers are simply better no matter what people say.

The most important thing that most people don't mention is actually the fact that 1060s just have a smoother experience. Even with 1-2% lower frame rate, it's almost as if the 480 is "sluggish" or frame rates vary a lot for example between 50-60fps which is noticeable when playing faster paced games.

It's hard to explain this exactly but I'm sure most people who have used both AMD and Nvidia know what I mean.

After all, go with what you can find because right now it's hard to buy a 1060 and 580 :D

2 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

You said you need it for gaming so I would upgrade to:
GTX 1060 6gb + OS ssd (120gb/240gb) if you can afford it together.

SSDs give a whole new experience when it comes to startup and general usage so definitely worth at least $50 investment once.

I've got both 480 and a gtx 1060 6gb and despite the 480 technically giving a bit higher frame rates (the new 580 would be even a small bit faster) think the 1060 is superior for the following reasons:

* 1060 is cheaper

* 1060 is more efficient

* 1060 gives much less heat (I have a EVGA SC 6gb (1fan) and it runs up to about 60*c...)

* Impossible to get 480/580 right now because of crypto miners, (I know, I'm doing it too)

* Drivers are simply better no matter what people say.

The most important thing that most people don't mention is actually the fact that 1060s just have a smoother experience. Even with 1-2% lower frame rate, it's almost as if the 480 is "sluggish" or frame rates vary a lot for example between 50-60fps which is noticeable when playing faster paced games.

It's hard to explain this exactly but I'm sure most people who have used both AMD and Nvidia know what I mean.

After all, go with what you can find because right now it's hard to buy a 1060 and 580 :D

Thanks! I was thinking of a 1060 anyways as its the reccomended gpu for the destiny 2 beta later this year, but would i need to upgrade my cpu for that or no?

On 12/07/2017 at 0:26 PM, Slurpppppp said:

Thanks! I was thinking of a 1060 anyways as its the reccomended gpu for the destiny 2 beta later this year, but would i need to upgrade my cpu for that or no?

Nope. Your cpu can handle it.
If you upgrade CPU you need to change motherboard because I'd never recommend getting FX8xxx series AMD cpus :D
Ryzen or Intel only.
If you can stretch your budget, the Ryzen 1500/1600 are really well priced CPUs. Or alternatively something like i5 6600 (don't need to pay extra for K)