Pc Build

Hey guys, i am helping a friend to build a PC. Do you think it is better to get i7-7700 or i7-7700K ? For now, there will be no overclocking and he needs a build that would last for years. Is there a big difference between these 2 CPUs ? Also, i would like to know which motherboard to get. Thank you in advance. 

6 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Do you think it is better to get i7-7700 or i7-7700K

Price is so close why not get the 7700k? Even without an overclock the 7700k is better at stock. Only reason I'd consider a 7700 is if it was a SFF mItx build, I'd get the non k for better thermals.

he needs a build that would last for years

Overclocking extends the useful life of a build. e.g. overclocking an older CPU keeps it relevant for longer.

Is there a big difference between these 2 CPUs ?

One is locked and the other isn't. The 7700k also won't come with a stock cooler.

i would like to know which motherboard to get. Thank you in advance. 

7700 can use any compatible motherboard however the 7700k will require a Z270 motherboard to enable overclocking. Don't fall into the common trap of buying an unlocked CPU and H series motherboard.

The i7 7700 is a locked CPU, it's clock speeds can be turned up but it's been limited by intel. While with the K-SKU you can overclock but you will need Z270 chipset (a H270 is also another choice) to rise the clock speed beyond the limits

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

20 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Price is so close why not get the 7700k? Even without an overclock the 7700k is better at stock. Only reason I'd consider a 7700 is if it was a SFF mItx build, I'd get the non k for better thermals.

Overclocking extends the useful life of a build. e.g. overclocking an older CPU keeps it relevant for longer.

One is locked and the other isn't. The 7700k also won't come with a stock cooler.

7700 can use any compatible motherboard however the 7700k will require a Z270 motherboard to enable overclocking. Don't fall into the common trap of buying an unlocked CPU and H series motherboard.

20 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

The i7 7700 is a locked CPU, it's clock speeds can be turned up but it's been limited by intel. While with the K-SKU you can overclock but you will need Z270 chipset (a H270 is also another choice) to rise the clock speed beyond the limits

Thank you for your replies. Which Motherboard do you guys recommend ? 

48 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Thank you for your replies. Which Motherboard do you guys recommend ? 

My personal sellection is Z270 Fatal1ty, red leds 

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

10 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

My personal sellection is Z270 Fatal1ty, red leds 

Ok thank you. Will go for Msi z270 Krait gaming. What do you think about the Msi core frozer cpu cooler ? Or thermaltake frio silent 14 for the i7-7700K ? In our country, the market is kinda limited and don't have a wide selection. 

1 hour ago, Pkai said:

Ok thank you. Will go for Msi z270 Krait gaming. What do you think about the Msi core frozer cpu cooler ? Or thermaltake frio silent 14 for the i7-7700K ? In our country, the market is kinda limited and don't have a wide selection. 

In my opinion those cooler aren't good, but how about looking at Noctua CPU Cooler?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

20 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

In my opinion those cooler aren't good, but how about looking at Noctua CPU Cooler?

The problem is that the market is so limited here. We don't have a lot of choices. Check this please and tell me which one do you recommend.

http://pcandparts.com/must.htm

38 minutes ago, Pkai said:

The problem is that the market is so limited here. We don't have a lot of choices. Check this please and tell me which one do you recommend.

http://pcandparts.com/must.htm

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3HGj4D/thermaltake-riing-silent-12-red-530-cfm-cpu-cooler-cl-p022-al12re-a

that is available in the link you send right?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, Pkai said:

Yes it is available here. Should my friend get it for the i7-7700K ?

It's fine i guess until noctua can finally be in market of yours

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :